Spencerport coaching change. View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Spencerport coaching change.

Ranger4Life
As a wrestler who recently graduated and had Tony D'Ambra as a coach I can say that I am in complete disbelief. D'Ambra has done nothing but give 150% to the Spencerport Wrestling program and to hear that Peland fired him is ridiculous. He has all of the spencerport wrestling fan's full support.

newschoolranger
Ranger4Life wrote:
As a wrestler who recently graduated and had Tony D'Ambra as a coach I can say that I am in complete disbelief. D'Ambra has done nothing but give 150% to the Spencerport Wrestling program and to hear that Peland fired him is ridiculous. He has all of the spencerport wrestling fan's full support.

There is no way it is because a full-time teacher wants the spot. This guy earned his position and maintained the Ranger tradition. This has to be a personal disagreement between the two guys, but I am sure tomorrow's board meeting will be jammed with D'Ambra backers.

bob
wrestlingny wrote:
Pelin is gonna ruin all that progress. I say fire his xxxx, How maney people would like to see Palin Fired , Go to the School baord meeting tomorrow night.
Why do you care haven't you already moved to Hilton?

johnnyrooster
bob wrote:
wrestlingny wrote:
Pelin is gonna ruin all that progress. I say fire his xxxx, How maney people would like to see Palin Fired , Go to the School baord meeting tomorrow night.
Why do you care haven't you already moved to Hilton?

Now bob....Smile

mbsuxx
It would be tough to get him to leave because he's been at holly since 1975.......is there any chance Coach Grillo would come to spencerport?

mbsuxx
It would be tough to get him to leave because he's been at holly since 1975.......is there any chance Coach Grillo would come to spencerport?

wrestlingny
"
Dear Board Of Education Member(s),

The wrestling community has been notified that their varsity coach has been asked to leave. The results of this have completely disrupted the new leadership and may have not been in the best interests of the wrestlers.

Spencerport is a wonderful community. It has strong roots, one of which is wrestling longevity. Spencerport is on the sports map because of wrestling. Many people move here or move back to Spencerport to continue that tradition.

The new program is young. The last coach had tenure and had built a reputation that could withstand the current athletic director’s “bullying” style. Mr. D’Ambra had the most respect of all the parents and the students. I am sure outside communities were waiting to see him fail. This did not happen. This year he accomplished “Coach Of The Year”, 21st year winning the Monroe County championships, five state representatives, and many more successes. Not bad for rookie! Every new coach has “growing pains”. It certainly doesn’t seem to be affecting him.

We call for Mr. D’Ambra to be hired back to the staff. If not, this program WILL fall apart. This will be detrimental to the Spencerport Community as well.

As well, Mr. Pelin has outgrown his welcome. This dictatorship needs to come to an end. His reason for his call of Mr. D’Ambra’s resignation is ludicrous and unwarranted. What are the steps in order to call for the athletic director’s resignation? We have questions and the right to ask.

Sincerely,

"

brainiac
wrestlingny wrote:
"

The wrestling community has been notified that their varsity coach has been asked to leave. The results of this have completely disrupted the new leadership and may have not been in the best interests of the wrestlers.

Spencerport is a wonderful community. It has strong roots, one of which is wrestling longevity. Spencerport is on the sports map because of wrestling. Many people move here or move back to Spencerport to continue that tradition.

The new program is young. The last coach had tenure and had built a reputation that could withstand the current athletic director’s “bullying” style. Mr. D’Ambra had the most respect of all the parents and the students. I am sure outside communities were waiting to see him fail. This did not happen. This year he accomplished “Coach Of The Year”, 21st year winning the Monroe County championships, five state representatives, and many more successes. Not bad for rookie! Every new coach has “growing pains”. It certainly doesn’t seem to be affecting him.

We call for Mr. D’Ambra to be hired back to the staff. If not, this program WILL fall apart. This will be detrimental to the Spencerport Community as well.

As well, Mr. Pelin has outgrown his welcome. This dictatorship needs to come to an end. His reason for his call of Mr. D’Ambra’s resignation is ludicrous and unwarranted. What are the steps in order to call for the athletic director’s resignation? We have questions and the right to ask.

Sincerely,

"

LIKE 1000 %

NIMROD
F... Pelin!

SectionVAlum
While I usually read the forums on here and refrain from commenting, this issue is very interesting and complex so I wanted to share my insight.

As a section v wrestling alum and high school teacher in the area, I have been a part of and followed section v wrestling for over 20 years now. As an educator, I take my profession very seriously in that it is our sole purpose to provide for the best education possible to students. From my observations, this is where Coach D'Ambra failed. While we may disagree with Mr. Pelin's decision because of our personal approval of Coach D'Ambra, we must look at the purpose of the profession to provide insight into what has taken place.

From what I have been told, Coach D'Ambra has been dismissed from 3 different teaching positions within the Spencerport School District. This is the first alarming fact into a person's character as an educator and should cause serious red flags as to whether or not this person is suited to educate. Secondly, anyone who has been around Section V Wrestling the past few years has seen that Coach D'Ambra's behavior around the mat is more than questionable, including an ejection from the Jamestown Tournament.

Lastly, it is the job of a head coach to build an entire program and invigorate participation in a sport. Looking at the sharp decline in numbers of the Spencerport wrestling program as a whole, and the weakness of the lower levels within the program, it seems as if Coach D'Ambra has within three years taken one of the most prestigious programs and made it extremely top heavy. To not focus on the entire program is to fail at your job.

When an athletic director hires a coach at the high school level, they are hired to educate student-athletes as an extension of the classroom. It is the job of the athletic director to ensure that athletic programs are growing and promoting growth of good character. However, it is very difficult to teach character and class when a head coach does not possess those qualities himself.

As a professional educator first, and a wrestling fan second, it is very clear to me as to why Mr. Pelin made the decision he did. In three years the program has declined on and off the matt from the tutelage of Coach Jacoutot. Hopefully this move will bring the greatness of Spencerport Wrestling, in its entirety, back.

sjoe952
For someone who has sat on the sidelines and now made their first post, your last name wouldn't happen to be Pelin, would it. You sure seem to know alot of inside information.

SectionVAlum
This is precisely why I avoid commenting on forums. While they are meant for information and discourse they often turn into arguments and accusations. As I said earlier, I am an educator within section V. Anonymity is critical as teachers and coaches within and across districts discuss happenings. No one's name or reputation should be put in jeopardy for discussing happenings within circles. I am confused as to how my information is "inside." if a coach is ejected, a program's numbers are dwindling, or a teacher is dismissed these are all fairly common knowledge through observation and discussion. Remember that section V is not that big, especially in the sports world, and things travel fast.

njfan545
Well this makes sense, as an avid wrestling fan from new jersey the recent rumblings around the nj wrestling forums. The quick departure of bill jacoutot jr and his assistant from his current coaching position. The rumor is he left his current position to take a job in his home state. now this makes more sense!

newschoolranger
SectionVAlum wrote:
While I usually read the forums on here and refrain from commenting, this issue is very interesting and complex so I wanted to share my insight.

As a section v wrestling alum and high school teacher in the area, I have been a part of and followed section v wrestling for over 20 years now. As an educator, I take my profession very seriously in that it is our sole purpose to provide for the best education possible to students. From my observations, this is where Coach D'Ambra failed. While we may disagree with Mr. Pelin's decision because of our personal approval of Coach D'Ambra, we must look at the purpose of the profession to provide insight into what has taken place.

From what I have been told, Coach D'Ambra has been dismissed from 3 different teaching positions within the Spencerport School District. This is the first alarming fact into a person's character as an educator and should cause serious red flags as to whether or not this person is suited to educate. Secondly, anyone who has been around Section V Wrestling the past few years has seen that Coach D'Ambra's behavior around the mat is more than questionable, including an ejection from the Jamestown Tournament.

Lastly, it is the job of a head coach to build an entire program and invigorate participation in a sport. Looking at the sharp decline in numbers of the Spencerport wrestling program as a whole, and the weakness of the lower levels within the program, it seems as if Coach D'Ambra has within three years taken one of the most prestigious programs and made it extremely top heavy. To not focus on the entire program is to fail at your job.

When an athletic director hires a coach at the high school level, they are hired to educate student-athletes as an extension of the classroom. It is the job of the athletic director to ensure that athletic programs are growing and promoting growth of good character. However, it is very difficult to teach character and class when a head coach does not possess those qualities himself.

As a professional educator first, and a wrestling fan second, it is very clear to me as to why Mr. Pelin made the decision he did. In three years the program has declined on and off the matt from the tutelage of Coach Jacoutot. Hopefully this move will bring the greatness of Spencerport Wrestling, in its entirety, back.

Is this really the appropriate environment to call into question someone's ability in the classroom? Shame on you for your judgement of a fellow educator. You need to give up your roll as a teacher. You have a duty to become an administrator.

cacus
wrestlingny wrote:
"

Sincerely,

"

WOW NY , I KNOW YOU COULD NOT PUT THAT MANY WORDS TOGETHER AND SOUND INTELLIGENT were did you get the quote from??
Page 2 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next