Finger Twirl View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Finger Twirl

wrestlingny
This has always been a hot topic, and basically the Achilles Heel of the sport. For what is considered a sport of really tough guys, this makes us all look like a bunch of sissies. The problem is that the rule actually exists. No other sport has this - you can make a million analogies. Soccer goalies can't claim an injury when a kid gets a breakaway...a catcher can't twirl the finger as a kid is sliding into home...linebackers can't say that they are hurt just as the RB is getting to make his leap over the pile to glory. So why, in the toughest sport on the planet, done by tough guys, is there an opportunity to take the easy way out when the sport is at it hardest and most exciting? Well, because the powers that be that make executive decisions regarding this sport are willing to allow it to happen. Take away the finger twirl, and you take away the opportunity for it to be used. The opposing wrestler has worked to get you there; unless you truly are hurt you should not use injury time.
The only real way to stop this from occurring is to place the wrestlers back in the same position as they were when the injury time occurred. By this I don't mean simply top and bottom. If someone is in a cradle when they call injury time, but them back in a cradle. If someone is in half nelson on their back and calls injury time put them back on their back once they are done "being injured". In a power half on your back.. go back to a power half... etc...
Another way would be to forfeit the match if you call injury time and are not injured. The problem with this is that if a guy is truly hurt on his back he will not call the injury time because he does not want to forfeit the match.
Any thoughts?

Smoothrider
I agree with this 100 percent. Like I said in another thread I saw this happen to your boy with very short time left on the clock. The section 1 kid knew the match was done so he did the only thing he could think of doing and that's twirl his finger. Either way Congrats to Mikey on another fine season!

mikef272002
Seems something could be done but the problem is we can't judge if a kid is actually hurt. We have no choice but to stop the match. I agree maybe put them back in the same position, or give the other guy his choice of starting position, or maybe even award full back points of 4 even if only a 1 count is given.

Smoothrider
Also agree with that.

fan090807SecV
The governing bodies of NYS wrestling absolutely have to address the finger twirl. Obviously there is no one on this forum that wants to see wrestlers getting injured, ever. Unfortunately wrestling is a sport that causes some degree of pain. I'm sure if anyone has been in a double arm bar or double grapes, or a really tight headlock that they were not very comfortable, and were in some degree of pain. The NYS refs are trained to watch for potentially dangerous situations and do a great job stopping wrestling in these situations. If a wrestler finds himself in a legal move that is causing him physical or emotional pain he always has a way out of this pain and that is to settle his shoulders into the mat and accept that you have been beaten by a hard working opponent. The finger twirl has also become acceptable for "tired time" and is used by many out of shape wrestlers who are in desperate need of a break, and are getting broken by more conditioned athletes. Once a wrestler leaves the youth ranks the finger twirl should be a thing of the past. For a two time NYS champion to resort to the finger twirl just because he was pinned is a disgrace. I do like the suggestion of the first poster to restart in the position where the twirl occurred, but I highly doubt that would be given serious consideration. I would like to see the finger twirl be the indication from the wrestler that he has given up the match, and the opponent wins and earns 6 points.

Havefaith1
Agree 100% Fan!!!!!!

Oldguy75
I too saw many fingers twirls throughout the weekend and very few seemed legitimate to me. Most appeared to be rest and hydration breaks. Some where just flat out attempts (successful) to avoid the fall. I did, however, see something I had not seen before. I cannot remember what D1 match it occurred in, but one wrestler was put on his back and immediately performed the finger twirl to perfection (his tricep was on the mat perpendicular to his body and his forearm at 90 degrees with arm/finger pointing directly at the lights). Everyone in the arena could see it, including the referee. The referee, right or wrong, chose not to stop the match and slapped the mat 2 seconds later. The wrestler that had twirled, immediately got up, took off his ankle bands, shook hands, and walked off the mat with no sign of injury. I, along with several people around me, noticed the miraculous recovery which was reminiscent of soccer player rolling around for several minutes and 20 seconds later, running full speed to goal. I do not know what the answer is for the finger twirl abuse that is taking place in today's wrestling, but whoever the referee of this match was, certainly seemed to have had enough of it.

LATDROP
They need to have the same rules as college in regards to injury time.

Gatt10
Oldguy75 wrote:
I too saw many fingers twirls throughout the weekend and very few seemed legitimate to me. Most appeared to be rest and hydration breaks. Some where just flat out attempts (successful) to avoid the fall. I did, however, see something I had not seen before. I cannot remember what D1 match it occurred in, but one wrestler was put on his back and immediately performed the finger twirl to perfection (his tricep was on the mat perpendicular to his body and his forearm at 90 degrees with arm/finger pointing directly at the lights). Everyone in the arena could see it, including the referee. The referee, right or wrong, chose not to stop the match and slapped the mat 2 seconds later. The wrestler that had twirled, immediately got up, took off his ankle bands, shook hands, and walked off the mat with no sign of injury. I, along with several people around me, noticed the miraculous recovery which was reminiscent of soccer player rolling around for several minutes and 20 seconds later, running full speed to goal. I do not know what the answer is for the finger twirl abuse that is taking place in today's wrestling, but whoever the referee of this match was, certainly seemed to have had enough of it.

Ha, I saw that one also on mat 4

Oldguy75
Yes sir, mat 4
Page 1 of 1