how on earth is Spallina not seeded? View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
how on earth is Spallina not seeded?

Smoothrider
techbandit wrote:
i dont understand Mke Spallina not being seeded in the 195 bracket. Hes got so much experience and has looked very solid all year. Is there a bracket full of previous state placers or what? am i missing something? to Mike: use your experience and your talent and blow that bracket up!

I'm just as confused as you he's a 3x state rep and was ranked 3rd in the last ranking... Mikey is tough though and I'm hoping for him to light it up and win it he's more than capable of doing it.. I believe he lost to Rodriguez in ultimate ride out at eastern states and he's seeded 3rd 1/4s matchup that will be a good one

Smoothrider
Falcs96 wrote:
Look, Im not going to get into a pissing match over this. He has beaten I believe 2 state qualifiers. He is a friggen 2-time County Champ from a section that has averaged a top 3 finish at the state tournament over the past 30 years! He gets only 19 points for that??? This is a problem. And let me tell you something…….I feel bad for Austin Hertal at 126. Because win or lose, he should NOT have to face Ben Tepperman in the quarters. Tepperman may win the state championship in that weight class, but this wacky point system puts him as the 7-seed! And yeah, yeah, I know……"win 4 matches and you're the champ. rah, rah." Well, that's not the point. The point is, get this right!!! I mean crap, beating a sectional champ ONE DAY is worth more than half the points you'd get from winning two straight sectional championships in a strong section? Sorry, that's out of whack.

100 percent agree... THIS SYSTEM IS NO GOOD

techbandit
just seems like we got some unjustified tough draws...Spallina comes to mind. i get the whole gotta beat everyone to win anyway...but something is wrong w this setup giving distinct advantages, almost cake walks to some guys. Coaches insight and advice should help these guys wrestle tough despite some rotten draws. good luck section Vers...u all earned it, make the most of your opportunities!

tampacuse
Austin Hertel has wrestled 6 kids that are wrestling at States and beat 5 of the, Tepperman hasn't wrestled anyone that's why he is seated so low. What ideas do others have for coming up with seeds?

Falcs96
Hasn't wrestled anyone? He wrestled a tough Suffolk schedule beating people like North, Mauriello, Fitzgibbons, and Fitzpatrick. If those kids wrestled in just about any other section, they'd be legitimate contenders for those sectional titles. But according to the criteria in place, they are "no one". Unfortunately, he was an injury scratch from the ES tournament, but Tepperman was a state placeholder last year, won a grueling sectional this year, and posted a 37-0 record while mostly wrestling at 132. He is going to give Hertal problems. The fact that there is no extra point consideration given to a Section 11 champ is not right. Hertal earned his seeding......but that is not the quarters match he should get.

Falcs96
Oh, and by the way........the top seed at 106 lost to the kid who placed 4th in the Section 11 tournament........in case you were wondering how tough that sectional is. Why he's seeded above Dylan Ryder anyway is beyond me.

tampacuse
Iam not saying Tepperman isn't a good wrestler. According to seeding points committee is looking for state reps who wrestles against other state reps. There is alot of tough kids that don't see States. I think that weight class there is 6 different kids that could win it.

tampacuse
I do agree that's a tough quarters match. Hertel beating Killard, Killard beats Earl, Earl beat Devine

Falcs96
I know what the committee is looking for. And it's wrong. I mean c'mon, every year about 80% of the Section 11 kids finish above their seeding. EVERY YEAR. It's not because they turn up the volume once they get to Albany........it's because they're seeded incorrectly to begin with!

And at 106, Griffin loses to Maucere at ES. Maucere took 4th in the Section 11 tournament. Griffin then goes to Albany as the top seed, above the Section 11 champ!?!? That quite a system they got there.

Heisenberg
106 does seem to be a head scratcher, sec. 3 kid must have a ton of points. A few others are suspect, but alot seem to be in the right ballpark. The system could use a few tweaks. No matter what you do, someone will complain.

Falcs96
Let me ask you a question........why would they factor in strength of section for WC selections, but not bracket seeding? Why would it be important for one selection/ranking process, but not the other?
Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2