NYS dual meet View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
NYS dual meet

Heisenberg
Is there a date and location for the state dual meet ? Its supposed to happen this season, isnt it?

BJB7
January 27th in Syracuse.

Heisenberg
Tough draw for Lancaster ! Are the teams just wrestling for 1st and 2nd ? No wrestlebacks like UE ?

cuchi1970
Heisenberg wrote:
Tough draw for Lancaster ! Are the teams just wrestling for 1st and 2nd ? No wrestlebacks like UE ?

Per the flyer schedule, http://armdrag.com/matburn?event=8968&instance=12490
it doesn't list any wrestlebacks.

BJB7
Heisenberg wrote:

Hearing that Horseheads is in and Massapequa is out we are back to the #7 seed with Minisink and Fox Lane.

jessefeffer
Falconer has #2 seed Mt. Sinai of section XI in their pool. From the LIWA site:

"The Mt. Sinai Mustangs have state bronze medalist Matt Campo (105 career wins) at 126 and a strong supporting cast of middleweights which include the O'Brien brothers: Mike (120) and Joe (132), along with Mike Zariff at 138. Also to watch are Brenden Goodrich (106), Mike Sabella (182) and Jake Croston in the 195-pound class."

I think Falconer matches up well with these guys. Might be be Kramer(132), Saeger(138), Penhollow(182) and Keefe (195) to face their guys. Falconer has lost to teams whose strengh was in the lower weights but with Kramer back in the lineup after recovering from surgery at 132 and Dustin down to 145, their 132 to 195/220 lineup has now gotten even stronger. They just need the lower weights to at least avoid bonus point losses and they could make the semis. Too bad it's a 9:00 AM matchup. I think they did that wrong. Imo, the seeded teams should be the 3rd pool match.

I need to do more research on their lineup.

LImarty
Unfortunately, I never saw the need to support DUAL Competition Championships. WHY ?? Well, living on Long Island- there is a HS every two- five miles. One may be good down low and their neighbor good up top. Many decades- of many talented wrestlers separated by the color of their singlet that they wear yet, only living two miles apart. Secondly, the Coaches juggling of line-ups, the forfeits, the lambs put on the mat. This imo insanity of who's ego needs reinforcement is not needed - a month out from the REAL individual Tournament. Lastly, I'm still perplexed why more effort hasn't been to open up the need to wrestle in Tournaments in PA and NJ. This imo will better wrestlers from NYS. The BEST squads in NYS this year...such as Wantagh, Minisink, Rocky Point etc. would be better off served having their BEST kids wrestling hammers from other states. The OBJECT of this Sport is to raise the level of each individual . DUAL Titles mean exactly what ??? You have the best Team ?? For many years the UE Duals supported this premise- BEST TEAM...and for many years the UE Duals was wrong.

choppy
Building a great team is not an easy task. As coaches it is our job to provide the best experience for kids. This is one way to grow the sport.

subway101
LImarty wrote:
Unfortunately, I never saw the need to support DUAL Competition Championships. WHY ?? Well, living on Long Island- there is a HS every two- five miles. One may be good down low and their neighbor good up top. Many decades- of many talented wrestlers separated by the color of their singlet that they wear yet, only living two miles apart. Secondly, the Coaches juggling of line-ups, the forfeits, the lambs put on the mat. This imo insanity of who's ego needs reinforcement is not needed - a month out from the REAL individual Tournament. Lastly, I'm still perplexed why more effort hasn't been to open up the need to wrestle in Tournaments in PA and NJ. This imo will better wrestlers from NYS. The BEST squads in NYS this year...such as Wantagh, Minisink, Rocky Point etc. would be better off served having their BEST kids wrestling hammers from other states. The OBJECT of this Sport is to raise the level of each individual . DUAL Titles mean exactly what ??? You have the best Team ?? For many years the UE Duals supported this premise- BEST TEAM...and for many years the UE Duals was wrong.

Well look who crawled out of his hole spouting the same nonsensical rhetoric. Everyone in the state sees this as a good thing except you including the teams coming up for it. Many are looking forward to some good wrestling.

jessefeffer
Marty, Marty, Marty. It's a shame to see someone with such an obvious passion for the sport show such negativity. How can you sneer at the UE duals and not be happy that a real statewide competition is about to happen? Coaches seem excited about this. Why? Maybe becasue they see what is happening in their wrestling rooms. Maybe because they try to coach every kid in there and want to see all of them fired up about their sport. Their championship caliber wrestlers always have had it but maybe they see something sparked in their less gifted, less skilled kids who now have a chance to be rewarded for their efforts. Maybe they now have a legitimate goal to be called a champion.

We know that there are people out there that will bear sacrifice for the good of others. For the good of their team. Our society is better off because of people like that. Cutting weight, overcoming injury, longer days, getting beat up in practices, public display of your individual failures. Who wouldn't sign up for that?

One way of defining greatness is to measure how much effort individuals are willing to invest just to be average. Kind of sad really. But now, busting your butt to be an average wrestler may still help your team. It may still help your team win and it may even help your team win a championship. Busting your butt to be average may now have a legitimate reward. That is good for the sport.

p.s. My school, Falconer, wrestles Mount Sinai on Saturday. Chautauqua County vs. Suffolk County. These are legimately two very different kinds of places in which to grow up and learn about life. I doubt there are any two counties in NYS that are further apart. I think it's an interesting matchup of teams that would never occur for any other reason than a statewide competition. Good or bad for the sport?

Last edited by jessefeffer on Jan 23, 2018; edited 1 time in total

Heisenberg
Last I knew, wrestling was a TEAM sport. I cant speak for everyone, but I’m excited to find out who will be the NYS DUAL meet champion. I’m sure there’s even people on Long Island who want to see this. I’m sure whoever’s on top of the podium Saturday night wont care that someone thought they’d be better off wrestling in PA instead.

I wrestled on a team that went to one of the first NYS cup dual tournaments in 1982. We got spanked by a great Bayshore team, won some other matches and had a great time. The bus ride to WestPoint, hotel stay, everything about it made us a closer team.

My sons went to UE and they had pretty much the same experience. Won some, lost some, had a great time.

Good thing we didn’t have the internet in 1982.

LImarty
YAWN !!!

there is too much chest thumping in this Sport. Too much emphasis placed on WINNING- as novices, as intermediates...as High Schoolers. This is why the separation of talent has grown to astounding proportions.

While many of you SEE this as a good thing. I see that this Sport has evolved into a mess- Most Teams forfeit weight classes, most matches are pinned or be pinned. The LEVEL of competition has been so depleted that it is an eyesore to many of us.

WHY? Why is PA the top of the heap. Simply, because they drill with numbers- they build their product from the ground up without worrying about DUAL TITLES. What / Who supports my theory. Well, let's just say- How many times did Huntington or Brentwood attend the UE Duals back in the '70s ??? Did Lou Giani or Joe Campo care about DUAL Titles...lol....Their job was- make a wrestler - a champion. Grow, their product- continue a Program.

While it is FUN to call a team a Champion. Personally, I think it is a wasted bus trip

quickpick
Umm....Pennsylvania does have a dual meet state championship. Also nothing further divides the elite more than having an emphasis only on tournaments. Why would some kids even go out for the sport if they knew they weren't ever going to win anything. Also, I don't think there will be many Ffts at the dual meet state championship. The majority of the teams have full lineups and probably won't dodge much. What better example for how dual meets should run than that? Welcome back Marty, always love to hear your opinion! Even if it is the same stale, biased opinion we've heard the last 20 years.

LImarty
quickpick,

Sometimes biased opinions of doom and gloom have merit.

WRESTLING today in NYS - on many mats is an eyesore. Pin or be pinned. Forfeits of weights is common...and numbers are down.

Unfortunately, I am too old to pump oxygen into it. The COACHES who knew how to build it- are- almost all gone. This year Wantagh, HS should be crowned the best team in NYS....and this is a modestly sized HS for Long Island standards...but, the REAL reason Wantagh maintains relevance ...is, their peewee program which maintains former native wrestlers and having arguably the BEST HS COACH ever out of Nassau Co.- Paul Gillespie. Gillespie has always made Teams better. BTW. Coach Gillespie is an early '70s HS graduate..lol.

Back to the point. Understandably , it is nice to be part of any Team that is crowned a Champion. I was that fortunate to be on two of those Teams in 1975 . jmo- THE PRACTICALITY- of sending Teams to a DUAL format with all the jostling of line-ups/ forfeits etc. etc. Well, it is kind of unnecessary for me. This Sport in NYS - today- has more significant problems that should be addressed.

ps....It has only been 15 yrs of biased opinion. ; }

choppy
This is a bowl of negativity that only some people eat. Sitting back and doing nothing but whining is not progressive. There was better times in wrestling but whining never fixed anything.
Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next