Nostalgia View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Nostalgia

jessefeffer
BJB7 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Section 6 large will probably be the usual 4, NW and Lockport from the NFL and Lancaster and Clarence from the ECIC. Throw in a solid Grand Island team and who knows who will win. I know NW lost 3 starters in the upper weights from last year. Any one know about the other teams mentioned?

Lancaster returns State Placer Joe Andreessen and State Reps Parker Rozler & Ryan Stencel and A5 Jake Harry along with two other section placers.

Clarence will be tough as usual as Coach Chase & Lamb do a great job with that program and they will have State Rep Aidan Rabideau, section placers Anthony Corigliano, Andy Burden and Joe Mannarino back.

Lockport lost a lot but let's see what new Coach Bill Morello can do with his young team but they do return section placers Josh Rolon & Steven Daskavitz.

NW won the section last year as they wrestled a great tournament Coach Sweney will have those boys ready as they are anchored by brothers and State Placers Justin & Warren Mcdougald along with section placers Josh Thiebault, Jake Dewolf, Austin Leber, Mike Ziegler.

Grand Island should give NW & whoever comes out of the ECIC a lot of trouble as they return a lot of section placers starting with section finalist Danny Emblidge and additional placers Mark Nicoletti, Adam Daghestani, Jaquan Johnson, & Seth Jackson.

This is what I was thinking about when I called last year unusual in Section VI DI. I think all these teams (except Lockport) will be improved this year over last. Many maturing underclassmen with already established varsity credentials. So, what was a very competitive group last year, will remain so again this year. What tends to make a great dual team is not the number of studs, although they do matter, but the number of somewhat anonymous, average to good wrestlers that are busting their butts to get better for the good of their team. This is not profound but too true to overlook and its the great unknown of predictions at this time of the year.

What I heard of the duals tournaments held last year made me regret not being there even more. It should feature similiarly intense competitions again this year.

BJB7
jessefeffer wrote:
Section VI had one state qualifier in what is the fka Ralph Wilson Fieldhouse. I thought it worked well there from a spectator's viewpoint. Lancaster's could function in much the same way, but, to my knowledge, this will be the first time it will be used for a sectional wrestling event. I find it curious as to why it was never used before. It is one of the best high school owned, multiuse indoor sports facilities in WNY (and maybe the entire state) and we all know Section VI is all about saving some bucks on venue arrangements.

The musical is always the week of Valentine's Day which is sectionals so parking is limited. Due to this we were never able to use the facility during the week for big events.

jessefeffer
BJB7 wrote:
jessefeffer wrote:
Section VI had one state qualifier in what is the fka Ralph Wilson Fieldhouse. I thought it worked well there from a spectator's viewpoint. Lancaster's could function in much the same way, but, to my knowledge, this will be the first time it will be used for a sectional wrestling event. I find it curious as to why it was never used before. It is one of the best high school owned, multiuse indoor sports facilities in WNY (and maybe the entire state) and we all know Section VI is all about saving some bucks on venue arrangements.

The musical is always the week of Valentine's Day which is sectionals so parking is limited. Due to this we were never able to use the facility during the week for big events.

I knew there had to be a reason. A reluctant superintendant that played basketball as a youth, limited public facilites maybe, or the dreaded insurance liabiliies, This reason is actually somewhat logical and funny at the same time.

takedown20
Not to complain, but this is Section V boys. Just sayin'.

BJB7
Here is my take on small schools.

You have to start with returning Champion Pioneer.

They will be anchored by returning State qualifier Doug Ciszak and section finalist Mike Rigerman to go along with additional placers Zach Russell, & Caleb Riordan. They had a significant loss to graduation but Chris Edwards and staff will have the boys ready to battle in January.

Falconer led by State placer Dylan Ingrao & Dan Torres & Corey Keefe along with section placers Jimmy Kramer, Nick Saeger &Robbie Penhollow. They have a big roster and it will be interesting to see how the kids have separated and the lineup is filled. Should be another exciting dual between these two powerhouses.

It will be interesting to see what former Large School teams that have competed well in Iroquois and Lake Shore bring to the table in the small schools this year along with Starpoint.

choppy
Any individual predictions section 6

BJB7
takedown20 wrote:
Not to complain, but this is Section V boys. Just sayin'.

Very true sorry about that. Can anyone take down Hilton this year? They still have State Champ Greg D, State Qualifier Ryan Burgos, Sam Deprez along with section finalist Nate Whybra.

the kind one
I think the downfall of this forum comes down to a few things. People got sick of the trolls on here and left and never came back. The invention of the smartphone. Not many people(at least that I know) even use a computer anymore. Lack of quality thoughts. Back in the day I would go out of my way to try to write previews or give nearly current information within minutes of a dual/tournament ending.

Many of the great posters of the past are out of the loop completely as themselves or their children are no longer active in the sport. When I first started posting on here I had hair.

coachlaz
I was a gawker in that era, and I rarely contribute now, but I think a lot of "forum" type of digression and heated exchange has been replaced by the growing presence of social media. Banter is still going on, but now it's happening on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. A lot of sports related forums have closed shop over the years.

While a lot of the discussion was good back then, there was a also a lot of disrespectful posting that in my opinion hurt the area's wrestling. The friction between programs and clubs made kids question loyalties and caused too much bad blood for my liking.

I think the love for the sport and discussion is still there, but now folks are doing it on social media groups like "The Wrestling Insider". Armdrag does have a FB page, maybe folks could be sure to "like" the page and start posting what they would here on that page? I like and participate in the social media groups, but none of them are strictly local. It would be nice to discuss predictions, rankings, and the Western New York landscape in one place.

takedown20
coachlaz wrote:
I was a gawker in that era, and I rarely contribute now, but I think a lot of "forum" type of digression and heated exchange has been replaced by the growing presence of social media. Banter is still going on, but now it's happening on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. A lot of sports related forums have closed shop over the years.

While a lot of the discussion was good back then, there was a also a lot of disrespectful posting that in my opinion hurt the area's wrestling. The friction between programs and clubs made kids question loyalties and caused too much bad blood for my liking.

I think the love for the sport and discussion is still there, but now folks are doing it on social media groups like "The Wrestling Insider". Armdrag does have a FB page, maybe folks could be sure to "like" the page and start posting what they would here on that page? I like and participate in the social media groups, but none of them are strictly local. It would be nice to discuss predictions, rankings, and the Western New York landscape in one place.

You may have solved the riddle. All of those points are valid IMO. Also, 10 years ago the talent of Section V wrestling was incredible. The best in NYS hands down.

coachlaz
Great call, and definitely a golden era. 10 seasons ago Section V won the large and small school titles at the state tourney.
Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2