Best State Final Matches You've Seen View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Best State Final Matches You've Seen

Dragtrip
The Yianni vs Vito match was awesome. 2 multiple time champs doing battle as 7th graders!

Oldskool
8th

antiquerassler
2008 Rochester War Memorial - 126 lbs. Warsaw's Ian Paddock beat Lansing's Kyle Dake 9-4. Was MOW. Dake's last loss through college.

Falcs96
Yianni and Vito were 8th graders for that state finals match you're referring to. Neither of them wrestled varsity in 7th grade.

Oldskool
Yianni wrestled varsity in 7th.

Dragtrip
They were both 8th graders but Yianni did wrestle varsity as a 7th grader...finished 3rd at supers that year, lost to Lantry in the semi's

LImarty
LOL....

Many of you do not go back far enough..lol

Piccozzi vs Parker was AMAZING...'76-'77

antiquerassler
Ok, same year as Parker v. Picozzi , match just before P v P, Warsaw's Mike Fuller looses to defending state champion Mark Iacovelli - Ithaca, 3-2 in overtime on a judge's decision giving a point to Icovell i(the way they decided ties in those days). Very controversial, even many of the Ithaca fans sitting near me thought it was the wrong decision .

quickpick
LImarty wrote:
LOL....

Many of you do not go back far enough..lol

Piccozzi vs Parker was AMAZING...'76-'77

Marty,

The arrogance just oozes off of you.....the original post was, best finals match you've ever SEEN. Many on here may not have been around in '76/'77 for your glory days where you sat and watched the state finals. Do not mistake people not bringing up the finals from then as a dismissal of talent from that era. Some just aren't old enough to have seen it.

bobbyjackson
The best finals match I watched in person was in 1989. Andy Antonucci vs Troy Bouzakis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBOS63qASc

WrestlerofthePast
Bobby,

Awesome video!

Awesome match!

2-2-2 followed by a mandatory 1-1-1 match.

Anyone have what is the list of criteria back then if it still ended in a tie.....the announcers alluded to stall calls as one.

Best part of the match was at the end of regulation when both wrestlers, like boxers, went to their respective corners to get toweled down and get some liquids in them. We've come a long way since that match.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by WrestlerofthePast on Feb 9, 2018; edited 1 time in total

Oldskool
bobbyjackson wrote:
The best finals match I watched in person was in 1989. Andy Antonucci vs Troy Bouzakis.

Love watching this match!

duddems
Oldskool wrote:
bobbyjackson wrote:

Love watching this match!

Great war...wow! I remember antonucci

LImarty
quick,

NO ARROGANCE INVOLVED.

Piccozzi was a scoring machine. Actually, I think at the time he had the record for the most points scored in 4 matches at the State Tourney...something stupid -like 51. Anyway, Mike was on that GREAT '76 Huntington squad. His workout partner for life was a stud- Jeff Thomas. Both were AMAZING talents...Both ranked and AA'd in College. Both beating super wrestlers such as Barry Davis. Both were also very schooled in Freestyle. Thomas a 2X NYS Champ when it meant something..lol. Thomas as a HS senior wrestled an exhibition with World/ Olympic Champ Sergai Belaglasov ...only losing 2-1. Quite common back then to have National Teams from Europe/ Far East visiting and competing with Long Island wrestlers.

Anyway, Mike was "slick"...could score on counters etc...points would just keep adding up. He was on his way to a State Title- but, Parker would not fold...back n forth action...and an injury time-out- and a cradle later. Piccozzi's run was over. Unbelievable match.

It was a GREAT ERA of wrestling- styles were different-rules were different- mat wrestling was part of the game....tough, tough, kids- schooled mat savvy wrestlers.

If, I had to make a comparison- I would offer the current DI College wrestlers- same type of authority- as to moves to those HS Elite. etc.

on a side note: '76 Huntington HS Team went to PA- and wrestled in the Eastern Nationals. They won the Tourney- I think Sports Illustrated had them ranked #1 in the Country. Between '75 and '85 New York State/ Long Island wrestling was NEAR the Top of high school wrestling Nationally.

Mayo08
One of the most memorable state finals matches, for me, was from the first State tournament I ever attended... 2005 D2, Pat Haggerty (Attica) 8-6 over Justin Lister (South Jefferson). I remember it being back and forth and just exciting as all heck.
Also in that year was Nickerson's 5th title (didn't personally see his other 4) and Gillespie tech-falling Chaires.

Others that come to mind that I remember seeing...

2009, Veltre coming up just short of Greisheimer... sucked, but a great match.
2007, Desi Green > Donnie Vinson
2007, Matt Hodge > Randy Colling (That cradle!)
2007, Ian Paddock tech-falling Nick Wilcox, who he'd lost to in semis the previous year 4-3 and was the 2006 champ at 103... I remember that being hyped up like "this could be a crazy one" and Ian just tore him apart.

There are probably others. But these are a few that've stood out for me over the years. Last year's 220lb (?) final where the kid broke his arm was wild, too.

-- Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. --
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next