Best State Final Matches You've Seen View previous topic | View next topic

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Best State Final Matches You've Seen

TallicaFan
Oldskool wrote:
bobbyjackson wrote:
The best finals match I watched in person was in 1989. Andy Antonucci vs Troy Bouzakis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBOS63qASc

Love watching this match!

One tough kid. I agree.

bigkidsdad
I'm surprised no one mentioned Greg D., vs Dylan Rider, recent top quality state championship match...

LImarty
bobby,

I wasn't around- '87-'88. Do'n my own thing. Forgot about that video. GREAT MATCH- technically - physically- and leaps and bounds over what we see today -imo. Both wrestlers schooled- in every discipline. What ever happened to Antonucci after HS....??? Anyone know.?? I know Bousakis was 26-1 at Clemson. The one loss coming when he blew his knee out in a match- then I believe a neck injury from a motorcycle accident ended his wrestling career.

Funny, that bigkidsdad brings up Greg D.....I remember Greg having an off season match where he was challenged by an unknown 8th grader- named Bousakis/Fla. 5-2. So, I guess his Dad is working with him.

After watching that match Antonucci/ Bousakis.....makes me NOT want to go to Albany next week...lol. Different ANIMALs- yesterday. IMO- It doesn't get much better than that even in the DI NCAAs of- today.

firemenj
bigkidsdad wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Greg D., vs Dylan Rider, recent top quality state championship match...

Good chance of a rematch of that one next weekend, even with Ryder losing at XI's, I think he's still the favorite to reach the finals with Greg

Heisenberg
LImarty wrote:
bobby,

I wasn't around- '87-'88. Do'n my own thing. Forgot about that video. GREAT MATCH- technically - physically- and leaps and bounds over what we see today -imo. Both wrestlers schooled- in every discipline. What ever happened to Antonucci after HS....??? Anyone know.?? I know Bousakis was 26-1 at Clemson. The one loss coming when he blew his knee out in a match- then I believe a neck injury from a motorcycle accident ended his wrestling career.

Funny, that bigkidsdad brings up Greg D.....I remember Greg having an off season match where he was challenged by an unknown 8th grader- named Bousakis/Fla. 5-2. So, I guess his Dad is working with him.

After watching that match Antonucci/ Bousakis.....makes me NOT want to go to Albany next week...lol. Different ANIMALs- yesterday. IMO- It doesn't get much better than that even in the DI NCAAs of- today.

Can we come up and say hi to the Long Island LEGEND in person?

duddems
firemenj wrote:
bigkidsdad wrote:

Good chance of a rematch of that one next weekend, even with Ryder losing at XI's, I think he's still the favorite to reach the finals with Greg

Who did ryder lose too? Score?

bigkidsdad
Sean Carter, 2–1

TallicaFan
Joel Lamson vs Butch Hibbard....best match ever seen.

LImarty
Hindenberg....just don't blow-up when you see me.

Heisenberg
And don’t give me Typhoid, LI Mary

Smoothrider
Frankie finals match was outstanding last night vs the Junior from Shen! OUTSTANDING match. Greg D vs Ryder was also great.

WrestlerofthePast
A lot of amazing matches all around in the finals, some nail biters which makes it exciting for the fans. Some near upsets but Section V came up big. Wish it was shown on primetime TV.....I hope TrackWrestling takes over soon......they include time which helps tremendously with following the matches. I can't believe Frankie almost gave up back points! That was one great match!

Heisenberg
Bunch of great finals matches last night. Best of the night had to be Greg D. vs Ryder.
I was surprised that Greg D took Neutral in the 3rd. One escape and he probably avoids OT because Ryder didnt have any serious TD attempts , up til then.

I was gonna try rank some of the other great matches , but couldnt .

Mcdougald vs Vines— Great
Gomez vs Sobotker — Great
Giss vs Shanahan — Great
Cuomo vs Barnes — Great
Redding vs Sciotto — Great

The D1 fans got their moneys worth last night.

Falcs96
Ryder got screwed at the end. That was as stall by Greg D! You'd hate for a match to end that way, but you can't start calling things differently just because it's the finals.

Vines lost on a clasp. It was unfortunate for him, but it was absolutely the right call. Regardless of whether it was the championship, or the 2nd match of the season.

Smoothrider
Falcs96 wrote:
Ryder got screwed at the end. That was as stall by Greg D! You'd hate for a match to end that way, but you can't start calling things differently just because it's the finals.

Vines lost on a clasp. It was unfortunate for him, but it was absolutely the right call. Regardless of whether it was the championship, or the 2nd match of the season.

How many shots did Ryder take in regulation compared to Greg D? Greg took about 10-11 shots Ryder took 1 shot at the end of regulation. Ryder whole game plan looked pretty obvious defend Greg for 6+ mins than try an win in ride outs. Backfired can’t leave it in the hands of the Refs. Still a great match!
Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next