Section 6 teams View previous topic | View next topic

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Section 6 teams

cuchi1970
There is a flaw in the seeding process that was used. If you wrestle a "soft" schedule against other teams that also wrestle a "soft" schedule, then the win/loss percentage for all of these "soft" teams can and does affect the seeding process. It makes it look like the "best" team from this "soft" group is better than they actually are and makes it possible for a team to be seeded number one and still not finish in the top 4. The "ripple" effect of this process is the fact that, in the end, the seeding layout for the entire bracket is "skewed".
It would help, greatly, if teams would adjust their dual meet schedules to wrestle the better teams in their league prior to the Section 6 Team Duals, rather than having those very important head to head matches take place the week AFTER the Team Duals.

jessefeffer
Btw, the only teams that could really gripe about this were Pioneer and Iroquois but by losing to Alden/Akron their point became moot.

cuchi1970
jessefeffer wrote:
By the way, the fieldhouse was a fine venue. Not too cold and lots of space to move around. I could have used some bout sheets posted somewhere to track the results better. If they were up anywhere, I missed them.

Ideally, the Section will eventually run these Team Duals on Trackwrestling, using the Dual team tournament option. It is very easy to set up and run. We could use 2 separate 8 team "charts" to run the tournament; one "chart" for DI and one "chart" for DII.
This would allow everyone to be able to follow the results for all bouts that are currently wrestling, no matter what mat they are on, by using the "Dashboard" screen (even if you are not actually at the facility). This would also allow for users to look at the previously completed results (individual and team scores) that they may have missed and would also enable the final individual and team results to be viewed by the ranking committee the next day, unlike this year.
The "catch" is that the host facility needs to have a good "guest friendly" wi-fi network, which the Lancaster fieldhouse does not have.

jessefeffer
cuchi1970 wrote:
jessefeffer wrote:
By the way, the fieldhouse was a fine venue. Not too cold and lots of space to move around. I could have used some bout sheets posted somewhere to track the results better. If they were up anywhere, I missed them.

Ideally, the Section will eventually run these Team Duals on Trackwrestling, using the Dual team tournament option. It is very easy to set up and run. We could use 2 separate 8 team "charts" to run the tournament; one "chart" for DI and one "chart" for DII.
This would allow everyone to be able to follow the results for all bouts that are currently wrestling, no matter what mat they are on, by using the "Dashboard" screen (even if you are not actually at the facility). This would also allow for users to look at the previously completed results (individual and team scores) that they may have missed and would also enable the final individual and team results to be viewed by the ranking committee the next day, unlike this year.
The "catch" is that the host facility needs to have a good "guest friendly" wi-fi network, which the Lancaster fieldhouse does not have.

Will the state dual tournament be run this way? I have not seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

BJB7
jessefeffer wrote:

Thanks yes we thought it had a good flow to it for the fans and we tried our best to move the chairs as close to the mats as possible for the finals. Thanks for the bout sheets suggestion that could be difficult as it requires coaches to provide them to us. As far as the wifi goes the guest is not great but we are able to secure a one to run the mats like we did last year for the Class.

choppy
Nice event overall, good work Lancaster. Git em in da cuse.

wnyathletics
jessefeffer wrote:
Nice breakdown of Section VI duals for I/II on the front page of Armdrag. I do not know who Matt O'Rourke is but he writes with some unusually informed opinions on Section VI wrestling which is unique to our area. I looked at the DII matchups and could not state with any confidence who would win Iroquois/Pioneer or Falconer/ Pioneer / Iroquois. They all seem tight to me. Last year Falconer/Pioneer had 6 matches that were OT and/or decided by 2 points or less in a match that was ultimately decided by criteria. How do you predict something that tight with any precision? I give him credit for trying.

I really hope to get there but my wife works, son has an ear infection and daughter has ballet class. Fate is conspring against me getting there. Rats.

Thanks man, appreciate you reading my stuff and the compliment. I've got a lot of stuff in the works for the rest of the season for Section VI wrestling. Look out for more predictions, previews, and recaps on wnyathletics.com. I'll be on WGR 550 on Saturday, Feb 3 and an actual show on the access tv network in the City of Buffalo. Shows will be republished on YouTube as well. Any reads, views, and feedback is appreciated!

jessefeffer
jessefeffer wrote:
I heard some disparaging talk about #1 seed Olean and their schedule while at the Section Dual tournament. Here's what I think to be true:

1) They have a younger, less experienced team than their more recent ones and scheduled accordingly.

2) Two years ago they had a much stronger team and for which they scheduled much tougher. I think they are the most likely team to have won a Section VI DII dual tournament in 2016. Falconer nipped them in a league dual match and it dropped them from 1 to 4 in the WRWNY poll. They went on to win the class B tournament and send 3 kids to the state tournament.

3) Their #1 seed is the result of a screwy seeding system that 1) recognizes a teams winning% is not a good indicator of their overall strength and then turns around and awards bonus points based on their defeated opponents winning%. So which is it? Wiining % is a poor measure of a team's strength or a good one?

4) I don't think they tried to game the system, they were just the unwitting beneficiaries of it.

Olean is wrestling a similar schedule this year. Don't be surprised if history repeats and they get a #1 seed in DI. The formula is still the same. They go to Springville and Bolivar Duals tourneys in which they most likely will not face a serious challenge. Some of those opponents will have a very high winning %. They have a nice dual lineup but the the toughest test they will face prior to the DI dual tourney is a league match against Fredonia, et. al. Just don't be scratching your heads come January wondering how they got it. I think they start the season as a credible #2 team in DI but Lancaster will wrestle a much tougher schedule which should aid in their dual team improvement during the season and may overtake them by then.

BJB7
Agreed and I know Lancaster likes to have a tough schedule nothing gets you more prepared than wrestling tough duals throughout the year and getting that mentality.

Heisenberg
Great to see some wrestling previews from WNY athletics. Looks to be another great year for fans of section 6.
Got the snow tires on, ready to go watch some action!

jessefeffer
Heisenberg wrote:
Great to see some wrestling previews from WNY athletics. Looks to be another great year for fans of section 6.
Got the snow tires on, ready to go watch some action!

As an NW guy, I am sure you know more about their schedule than what is currently available on TW or Matburn. Are they coming to STWOA this year? I think they'd be the favorite this year to take it but they certainly make for a better tournament, win or lose.

Heisenberg
I havent asked around yet, what their schedule is. I just assume its the usual. Cheektowaga duals, Webster, Oswego, NCCC and wednesday night league duals. I will be asking around soon.

ksl66
I’m pretty sure NW is scheduled to at STWOA

Heisenberg
Who won the ECIC final between Day and Stencel? For some reason its not listed in the Track wrestling results.

jessefeffer
Day 4-3.
Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next