List: Greatest Section V Wrestlers-O.A.T (Sec.3 inspired) View previous topic | View next topic

Page 13 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
List: Greatest Section V Wrestlers-O.A.T (Sec.3 inspired)

mbsuxx
Marty King - Canandaigua ……….3rd, 4th, 1st, 1st at States in the 1980s ---- before D1/D2.

Should he be in the Top 10?

Yes on Romeo ……...good coach!

Takedown2003
Nick Lee just beat Joey McKenna...... any thoughts Marty?

brainiac
lol..and dont forget Chris Bourne...ANIMAL

faceinthemat
Takedown2003 wrote:
Nick Lee just beat Joey McKenna...... any thoughts Marty?

Wow, very surprised by that one! I thought Mckenna/Yanni would be the match of the year. Mckenna was tearing it up looking like he was fixed on a finals matchup w Yanni. Hmmmm, just shows how many tough guys there are throughout D1. Yanni repeats.

faceinthemat
LImarty wrote:
faceinthemat,

When Yianni gets beat by Joey McKenna this year.......Joey McKenna who would never be considered the BEST from his Region in New Jersey.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO RECONSIDER YOUR....SUBJECTIVE LIST.

So, many very, very good wrestlers wrestled - in the Rochester area for decades. Your list is "weak" with knowledge and too contemporary to even take seriously.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...the expert has spoken. McKenna just dumped to Lee. Bffffffffff!

portboy
I rarely post but I do have a "up close and personal" opinion...I've seen all the names mentioned in this thread over the past 45 years. I've also had the pleasure of watching ALL of them in that time frame.
Unlike 99.9% of anyone on here, I wrestled side by side w/ Frank DeAngelis for 5 years and wrestled Frank 1,000 times. Undoubtedly the greatest lung capacity of anyone I have ever seen. Losing was never an option or common thought. He was sure something to watch, fear and admire! Although he did wrestle @ a 50% capacity for the last 1/2 of his senior year w/ a severe knee injury, (which hampered his college career all the way thru) he still dominated to his second state title. Trust me when I say, his physical prowess was as well known on as well as off the mat. What most people do not know is Frank is also in the Rugby Hall of Fame where he played semi pro for 10 years...Certainly the epitome of the term "animal"!

This ALL being said, I have NO doubt that Yanni is the greatest wrestler in section V history. I've watched his career (including Princeton today) and am in awe of his perfect technique...Once in a generation talent for sure. As was Frank certainly in his era. Gregor Gillespie is also a favorite of mine and was a beast as well. Tilt innovator w/ NO peer! He gets listed to 3rd on my all time in my humble opinion...

Yanni
Frank
Gregor

You can list them anyway you want after that!!!

Last edited by portboy on Feb 9, 2019; edited 2 times in total

faceinthemat
See if Marty wants to hear it from someone who lived it...even though he wasn't that good, he has absorbed so much knowledge since then that he outqualifies us all...lol. good post.

quickpick
swank wrote:
PSA: EVERYONE PLEASE STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS. I promise you won't change their sad, personal, ego-driven agendas and opinions.

Thanks for the names today, now we're getting somewhere!

Here's where we're at (i removed the numbers cause like i said, it wasn't an honest attempt to rank) but we're up to over 80 !

• Yianni D. (Hilton) - 4xer + NCAA True Freshman Champ + 2x FS-World Champ
• Gregor Gillespie (W.Schroeder)- - 2xer (3?) + NCAA Chamption + 4x NCAA All-American + Undefeated in MMA/UFC
• Frankie Gissendaner (Penfield)- 4xer + 5x place-winner… also never wrestled at “lightweight” which to me seperates him from the other 4xers
• Frank Deangelis (Spencerport) - The Bo Jackson of our Section. I've heard more urban legends about this guy being a complete and total badass from the elders to fully believe the hype. Wish I was around to witness.
• Don Carlo-Clauss (Greece Olympia)- 2xer and dominant in a tough era. Another one of the legends I grew up hearing about.
• Bobby Dierna (Wayne) - Slickest on his feet (IMO) and 2x? State Champ + 2x NCAA Div-3 Champion!
• Mike Nevinger (Letchworth)- One of the best on top we've ever seen... an incredible high-school resume and NCAA blood-rounder?
• Lou Deprez (Hilton) - "The Bully" - 3xer (+3rd Freshman year) and all his titles are in the upper weights.
• (Greg Diakomihalis-Hilton) though he's already compiled the resume to earn a spot on this list, I feel like he needs to graduate to make our “official list”. For now, just witness and appreciate.
• Alex Eckstrom (Pal-Mac) -4xer & beat the legendary Ian Paddock (also one of the GOATs) for an epic showdown for #4
• Ian Paddock (Warsaw)- undoubtedly one of the most dominant SecV wrestlers we’ve ever seen, beat Kyle Dake in state Finals + might ended up D1 A-A if he didn’t choose the same school as Logan Stieber+injury?
• Quinton Murphy (Holley)- 3xer? and dominant
• Trevor Chinn (Canandaigua)- One of the greatest Neutral wrestlers OAT.
• Bryan Bourne(Spencerport)- State Champ and 2x high school national champ. Claw ride and roll-back half were epic and he dominated the field.
• Josh Patterson (Wayne)- Probably the most underrated/mentioned on this list, NCAA All-American for Binghamton + 2x Junior College
• Kyle Borschoff (Pittsford)-NYSchamp + d1 NCAA All-American(AU) + current head coach @ Bing U + a great contributor to our sport
• Jason Debruin (Spencerport) - didn't give up a takedown while scoring over 200 during his senior year and then had a real solid career at Hofstra
• Don St. James (R-H) – National Wrestling Hall-of-Fame (Coach)
• Dwight Cartwright – 1972 NYS - MOW
• Robin Scott Parker (Cal-Mum) – 1976 NYS-MOW
• Sirrell Gissendaner (Spencerport) - MOW 1993
• Craig Scott (Pal-Mac)-
• Owen Scott (Pal-Mac)-
• Troy Forte (Pittsford)-
• Matt King (Canandaigua)
• Marty King (Canandaigua)
• Tony Cotroneo (Irondequoit)
• John Zito (E-R)
• Alex Croog (Brighton)
• Andy Antonucci (Hilton)
• Rick Sadwick (Hilton)
• Steve Taylor?
• Rick Suhr (Spencerport)
• John Suhr (Spencerport)
• Vincent Deprez (Hilton) - NYS Champ (3x finalist)
• Parker Kropman (Penfield) - Stuck in the same weight as the #1 guy on this list for most his career (Eastern State Champ)
• John Martin Cannon (Brockport)
• Christian Boley (Brockport)
• Brian Aparo (Victor)
• Casey Lamb (Victor)
• Roy Washington (Monroe)
• Butch Hibbard (Canandaigua)
• Burke Paddock (Warsaw)
• Paul Paddock (Warsaw)
• Alex Croog (Brighton)
• Roy Frey (E-R)
• Kyle Ingram (Canandaigua) –
• Kenny Porter (Alfred-Almond)
• Gary Borelli (S’port)
• Shawn Hibbs (s’port)
• Tim Page (Way-Co)
• John Gemmell (Hornell)
• Dane Heberlein (Alexander)
• Nate Schiedel (Cal-Mum)
• Desi Green (R-H)
• Dan Mandara (Canandaigua)
• Erik Schuth (Brockport)
• Dave Jeurgens (Hilton)
• Bryan Lantry (Wayne)
• Jason Bovenzi (Greece Athena)
• Kevin Bishop?
• Mike Lopresti (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Joe Lopresti (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Jon Welch (Canandaigua)-
• Tom Billone (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Ray Lechase (sport) – 3rd
• Dan Nier (Athena)
• Mark Voci (McQuaid)
• Mike Kohl (Fairport)
• Dave Dennie (Pal-Mac)
• Chris Van Gordon (Pal-Mac)
• Mike Pecorella (Arcadia)
• Walt Tieke (Spencerport)
• Don Quin (East Rochester)
• Weldon Canough (Canandaigua)
• John Grillo (Holley)
• Rick Terenzi (RH)
• Mike Chappelle (Can) – NYS Finalist

Mike Nevinger was actually a 2x AA at Cornell. I believe he lost in the first or second round one year and wrestled all the way back to 5th. Definitely deserves his spot on this list.

LImarty
Ok. Now, Yianni has another wrestler that has a leg up. McKenna will have to see- if, can avenge this loss in the BIG 10 Finals. ...win- he's a 2- seed. He sees Yianni in the Finals....lose- he's a 3- seed and sees Yianni in the semis.

Who has Yianni beaten this year...that comes close to these two. ???

Again, before I would consider a BEST LIST....I would choose by weight class and if, I was ever gonna comprise a list like this...THE MAJORITY - MOST- ALMOST ALL would be listed before Weight Certifications.

You guys dismiss this as "skills", "technical" etc . etc...then try to rationalize by saying it was only "tougher" then...then now. LOL.....Like Ive said you are talking about two different animals...one that did the cut each week who was schooled in ALL positions compared to a kid who is eating bagels and pizza at a tournament and only concentrates on neutral. Lions vs "Pussy" Cats.

Last edited by LImarty on Feb 10, 2019; edited 1 time in total

Realdeal135
LImarty wrote:
Ok. Now, Yianni has another wrestler that has a leg up. McKenna will have to see- if, can avenge this loss in the BIG 10 Finals. ...win- he's a 2- seed. He sees Yianni in the Finals....lose- he's a 3- seed and sees Yianni in the semis.

Who has Yianni beaten this year...that comes close to these two. ???

Again, before I would consider a BEST LIST....I would choose by weight class and if, I was ever gonna comprise a list like this...THE MAJORITY - MOST- ALMOST ALL would be listed before Weight Certifications.

You guys dismiss this as "unskilled", "technical" etc . etc...then try to rationalize by saying "tougher" then...then now. LOL.....Like Ive said you are talking about two different animals...one that did the cut each week compared to akid who is eating bagels and pizza at a tournament. Lions vs "Pussy" Cats.

First of all Marty in a bracket the 3 seed wrestles the 2 seed in he semis so that was very intelligent. And why are u still posting on here what happened to “Limarty signing off”

brainiac
Chase Brothers need a mention.

LImarty
First time in Nassau Co (Sec. eight) history...a freshmen wins a Sectional title at 119 lbs. This Sport has reached a "new low" in NYS- in an area that was once the best in NYS HS wrestling.

What's next.....10 year old HS State Champs ???

wrestlinggrandpa
LImarty wrote:
First time in Nassau Co (Sec. eight) history...a freshmen wins a Sectional title at 119 lbs. This Sport has reached a "new low" in NYS- in an area that was once the best in NYS HS wrestling.

hmmm, I wonder how good Stevo was at 10......

duddems
LImarty wrote:

So instead of a great 9th grade wrestler...its a testament to a weak field?...cmon man

Oldskool
I think its a testament that younger wrestlers are getting better sooner.
Page 13 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next