141 lbs McKenna vs Diakomaholis. Fri. Feb. 22 View previous topic | View next topic

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
141 lbs McKenna vs Diakomaholis. Fri. Feb. 22

LImarty
face,

I got Desanto making it to the Finals.....lol. He is one of my upset specials- His losses were minimal to the top seeds and he cant get out of legs- Fix/ Lizak. I feel Lizak may be in wrestle backs by then and Fix is on the top side of the bracket. I believe he'll beat both Bravo Young and Micic....HE and Suriano would be good. We will see. I still think Fix wins it all.

faceinthemat
I like Fix or Micic to win it...no shock there. I do think both Suriano could top either one in any given match though. And I'm a bit perplexed about DeSanto but I understand and agree with your take on why he is dangerous. He feeds off aggression and emotion and I too believe he could be very dangerous to the top wrestlers in the bracket. He will definitely AA this year, should've last year. Brands won't let him let his team down in this tournament. 133 is clearly the bracket to watch.

Marty, how do you feel about 165? Marinelli has been a thing of beauty to watch this year but Joseph seems to rise to the occasion under the big lights. Wick is no pushover whatsoever...I like Marinelli now that he has out toughed everyone and really took it to Joseph (he broke Joey Gunther (ex-teammate)miserably). I figured based on your history of posts that Marinelli might be your type of wrestler? I think he's locked and ready to take out Joseph or whoever he faces in finals assuming he stays injury-free.

LImarty
face,

Marinelli did push Joseph around and he could / should be the choice....like I said, Im going out on a limb- Chance Marstellar is my longshot winner to get to the Finals.

faceinthemat
Marstellar is very physically tough and keeps good position, he could upend anybody in the field if hes right mentally.

LImarty
Saw him wreck Dylan Palacio in HS and has been very competitive ever since. He also gave Joseph a good match last year. He is capable...I like the way he matches up against Marinelli. JMO.

LImarty
"props" to Yianni. He is the "magician"

Scary - NEW JERSEY

and this years HS graduating class especially, mid-thru- upper weights are very good.

mbsuxx
Yianni is fun to watch...........Does he go up tp 149 next year?

mbsuxx
Deprez went 3-2 at NCAAs …………….nice showing for a redshirt freshman.

LImarty
Just a general overview of Vito and Yianni....lol..an AA and a 2X NCAA Champ

Vito looked stressed at 125 lbs- won matches on desire. Koll better forget weight with him...let him wrestle 133/ 141 next few years. IMO Vito's ultimate success will come in International style.

Yianni better get more physical at 149 lbs....either way cutting to 141 or moving up to 149. The question I have can he keep winning "ugly" to me ?? To me he won four matches this past weekend and never looked "good" doing it. YES, he won.

Im just in awe with New Jersey.

coachlaz
Yianni did some amazing things in each of those matches. Also, you have to consider he beat the guys that placed 2,3, 4, and 8. Yianni wrestled and bested half the All-Americans in the 141 field. The only wrestler with nearly as impressive a bounty was the MOW Lewis, and given Marinelli's consci slide to 7th, that's debatable. Lewis beat #2,4, and 7. He beat the top two seeds and deserves his credit, but based on how everyone finished, Yianni faced the toughest field. No other wrestler in the tourney beat 4 AAs to win their title.

I think Yianni will be fine at 149. You can't overlook the "winner " concept. The kid keeps his composure, doesn't break, and finds a way.

I hope Vito moves up as well. I also think he will be very successful in freestyle. I believe Yianni will as well. If his post match interview is an indicator, he absolutely loves it and is looking fwd to it.

Yes, Jersey ran rampant and impressed. I'm happy for Rutgers. Those guys work hard and bring it. Lewis is a breath of fresh air. Cassar was great but came off a little to "Jersey Shore" for my liking.

faceinthemat
mbsuxx wrote:
Yianni is fun to watch...........Does he go up tp 149 next year?

I'd say yesy...he can do whatever is comfortable for him. I'd like to see Vito as a national contender at 133 next year also...Wouldn't surprise me to see him win it all in the next couple years.

LImarty
You know Im a Long Island "homer"...lol. Know Vougar - his dad and was with his brother Nick on multiple trips to Jersey, VA Beach.....and knowing their anatomy.

JMO- Vito will struggle to win a NCAA Title- mainly , because of his long -lean legs. He will be always in the mix. He will be more suited to win a National Title in Freestyle. He will struggle to beat guys like Fix/ Suriano at this level. Fix has ridiculous hips- Suriano looks like he'll stay around 133 lb- no higher than 141 lbs....we'll see.

This is JMO...and I hope Im completely wrong.

mbsuxx
Yes, Fix has ridiculous hips …………… but he couldn't do anything against Suriano.

Spencer Lee, Yianni, Mekhi and Hidlay are the guys who will be the most fun to watch next year.

chickenwing
Yianni actually performed better at the 2018 NCAAs against better competition and with a torn ACL. Makes you wonder if he's plateaued? I'd say go up a weight & get stronger, but his Olympic weight is 65kg (143.3).

W 10-5
W 7-3
W 5-1
W 6-5
W 6-4 sv

W 10-1
W 13-4
W 6-5
W 6-4 sv
W 7-4

quickpick
chickenwing wrote:
Yianni actually performed better at the 2018 NCAAs against better competition and with a torn ACL. Makes you wonder if he's plateaued? I'd say go up a weight & get stronger, but his Olympic weight is 65kg (143.3).

W 10-5
W 7-3
W 5-1
W 6-5
W 6-4 sv

W 10-1
W 13-4
W 6-5
W 6-4 sv
W 7-4

The coaching staff held Yianni out in the beginning of the year and eased him in from his knee injury. He didn’t face a tough schedule until the second half of the year. I think a lot of it was him coming back from injury and not pushing more than necessary. After he tore it last year, he had nothing to lose. He could open up a lot more in his matches. I would expect him to be much better next year, fully recovered from his injury. 141 or 149 he is incredibly difficult to score on and his counters are second to none right now. He has not plateaued, I think he only gets better.
Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next