Kudos to Coach Arkee Allen View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Kudos to Coach Arkee Allen

scots
Arkee, nice job on adopting the best youth tournament format out there. This is the second year we have attended and this tournament is the best value for the dollar out there. All kids wrestled from 4,5-7 matches. Unbelievable workout for the kids. Tough luck for some kids on the point scoring system when it come to place winners but so what "It's all good"!

fcarry
I thought the format was great too. However, as the parent of a first year wrestler, I thought it was inappropriate to pool first year(some first "match") kids with kids with several years experience. Those with more than 1 year on the mat should have had their own pool, even if it meant only a few matches. If there is no competition for them, give them their money back, an option to move up a few pounds(with other experienced wrestlers), or help officiate! How much does either kid get out of a match pitting a newbie against a kid with 5 years experience? If they need a workout, a youth tournament shouldn't be an "open" tournament. Other than that, I thought it was a good tournament. Wrestling can be considered a martial art. Black belts do not compete against white belts! Wonder why there are fewer kids in the sport?

scots
You have a valid point. You as a parent must make your child keep things in perspective. Don't allow him to put pressure on himself with the winning and losing component. Praise him for the good things he does each match. His time will come as it does for most wrestlers who stick it out. As far as the beatings a wrestler takes early in his career, it's common and most go through it. Use it as a teaching tool and motivator.

bakrongal204
the thing about grouping is when you have like 200 + kids, you dont have the time to go to every kid and ask for experiance then group them up based on both weight and experiance. I was a ref last year and I helped set up weight divisions last year as well for the Iron tourny. Since there are no weight classes set at the tourny, it was hard enough getting that set let alone worrying about skilled and unskilled. I agree that it is tough for beginners, but Irondequoit does run a tight pee wee program. I've been working with the program since it began and we use the tourny as a way to measure what we as coaches need to work harder on and things we need to keep or lose.
Page 1 of 1