Letter to Tim Monahan View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Letter to Tim Monahan

baschamania
I don't know if any of you go on NYWrestling.com, or if you read my post from before, but here is the follow up. I have wrote a email to the rankings guy, Tim Monahan.

Just for the record, here are NYWrestling.com's State-Wide rankings:

2003-04 NYS Team Rankings

1. Valley Central-9
2. Islip-11
3. Huntington-11
4. Minisink Valley-9
5. Spencerport-5
6. Wayne-5
7. Gouverneur-10
8. Fulton-3
9. Canandaigua-5
10. Iroquois-6
11. B-G/A-4
12. Massapequa-8
13. Peru-7
14. Monroe Woodbury-9
15. Mexico-3
16. Beekmantown-7
17. Chenango Forks-4
18. Whitney Point-4
19. Riverhead-11
20. Southwestern-6
South Jefferson-3

To whom it may concern,

I am writing you a quick e-mail based on a comment you made on NYWrestling.com. The comment is that of "Islip wins the Long Island Challenge and Spencerport wins the UE Duals to establish themselves as the teams to beat for the Number 1 State Team Dual Meet Rankings...results in the premium section", which appears on the Match of the Week popup. I Beleive this statement to be true and false at the same time. Yes Islip won this weekend and Yes Spencerport won this weekend but yet Spencerport is the sole team to beat to be Number 1 in the State. Islip? Who has Islip beat to eastablish themselves. According to the real rankings for New York State, The Number 7 team in the state, Islip, beat the Number 11 team, Sachem 32 - 30. That's a very small gap for those two teams but yet your telling me Islip is up with Spencerport? Your rankings also said that Minisink Valley is fourth in the state and Spencerport is 5th. Well as you clearly know, Spencerport defeated Minisink Valley 36 -9 in the semi-finals. I guess U-E Duals proved you wrong as their is no small gap in that. Spencerport clearly deserves to be and is the number one team, at the moment, in New York State.

If you wanan rank any other team in New York State above Spencerport, pease e-mail me and give me your reasons as their should be some damn good ones.

Just for the record, I wanted to enclose the real New York State Wrestling Team Rankings, as of December 31st, 2003. This is before the Union-Endicott Dual Meet Tournament.

Large schools as of December 31st, 2003:

1. Spencerport-5 (6-0)
2. Valley Central-9 (12-0)
3. tie Canandaigua-5 (5-0) and Minisink Valley-9 (9-2)
5. Huntington-11 (1-0)
6. Wayne-5 (4-1)
7. Islip-11 (2-0)
8. Fulton-3 (9-1)
9. Monroe-Woodbury-9 (10-1)
10. Gouverneur-10 (4-0)
11. Sachem-11 (4-1)
12. Newark Valley-4 (9-0)
13. MacArthur-8 (3-2)
14. Chenango Forks-4 (6-2)
15. South Jefferson-3 (5-1)
16. Massapequa-8 (2-0)

Thank you for your time,
Justin Basch

Any thoughts? Even if you do not like Spencerport, what are your thoughts on this?

doug
That site Monahan runs is dominated by Long Island posters...I think they're having a hard time getting over the beating they took at States last year......Section V has the top team in the State and 3 of the top 4 teams in the State.....Section V also has two of the top wrestlers in the nation.....Congratulations to Spencerport and Wayne for wrestling so well at U-E

the kind one
Its obvious of Monaham's bias lies with section 9 and section 11. he must be crying in shame with the two big bad teams from section 9 getting beat by Spencerport and Wayne. In section 5, Spencerport gets all the respect it deserves, but at a state level, no one see's Spencerport at all a top level team. Look at the rankings since 96.....I doubt any other team has been ranked 3rd or better for the last 8 years.

crawfordn
The rankings the Monohan posted are rediculous. To have Spencerport, Wayne Or Canadaigua is just hilarious. Spencerport is the best team in the state hands down. I dont know how he bases his rankings, but obviously there is a flaw in his theory. Wayne should certainly be higher than Minisink and Vally Central. My thought is that Spencerport is number 1 and Wayne is probably between 2 and 4. Canandaigua is definently a top 5 team as well. Basically the teams in our section are getting shafted again. We have the 3 premier teams in the section, who all have wrestled the best competition. Wayne and Spencerport at the U-E Duals made their point. Canandaigua already beat Wayne and they wrestled the Beast of The East.....which they did very well at. Those rankings mean nothing to me, because anyone with a little common sense knows what teams should be at the top. It might be a stretch to make the 1,2, and 3 but I think they should all be in the top 5. Thanks to Basch for making such a valid point. There is no reason for Monohans rankings to be as bad as they are.

wrestle5050
I agree 100%. Section 5 has proven themselves all year and went out to wrestle the top competition. Not sat around their own section. Spencerport, Wayne and Ca deserve to be the top three in the state because they have proved to New York State that they are the best and wrestle tough schedules. Everyone has been saying Minsink Valley and Valley Central are the teams that will be tough to beat. Spencerport and Wayne both proved their points are U-E. Congrats to both teams because they deserve more than what the longislanders give credit to

baschamania
Here's his smart xxxx response:

Can you answer me this question,

Where was the individual who does your 'real' rankings this weekend? His school, Queensbury, was involved in the UE Duals and he wasn't even there.

I talked with one of the Queensbury coaches and he said this, " Oh he hasn't been to a match all year."

How the heck can you do rankings when you do not go to any matches? Maybe I'm wrong but I think you have to actually be at matches in order to rank teams.

But then again what the heck do I know.

You seem to be the expert, lets see your rankings.

Tim Monahan

However, the editor of NYWrestling.com gave me a real response:

Justin:

Your logic is excellent.

I am sure our committee will take all of this into consideration the next time they provide state rankings.

Please consider becoming a Premium Subscriber to help us develop our website to truly represent the entire state of NY. We need help from people like yourself to make it a truly representative New York State Website.

Spencerport does not need our help, they have a great program since Walt Tieke began it all in the 1970's. He was a true NYS Coach who reached out to everyone in the state and helped to coach our NYS Kids. A great guy.

I can't wait for the Spencerport/Canandaigua Match on February 7th...it will be our match of the week and anything you want to say or promote to the wrestling fans, nywrestling.com will do it.

Thanks for your support.

Al Bevilacqua
nywrestling.com

baschamania
The latest from Tim:

I was at the UE Duals and was very impressed with Spencerport and Wayne. They have some tremendous wrestling up there.

You are correct, Canandaigua beat Wayne 27-25 and they did it without Kyle Ingraham in the lineup. Canandaigua may be tougher than Spencerport. I know they are rock solid from 103-152. Not sure about their big boy though.

As for your rankings, I will tell you this. I have virtually the same top seven. I can not, however, drop Huntington and Islip that far without virtue of a loss on their part.

I'll give you an inside look at what the top 7 will be when the new rankings come out,

Spencerport (top team in the state, so far)
Islip (was #2 and won the Long Island Classic over the weekend. Beat Sachem by 2 but rather than take away from Islip for that maybe give Sachem some accolades for being tough)
Canandaigua
Wayne
Valley Central
Huntington
Minisink Valley

By the way, what section are you from?

----- Original Message -----
To: Tim Monahan
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: rankings

Hey, I'm not saying you have to be at every match or be a god and know all. I'm just trying to help you otu as their is alot of disagreement with your rankings state-wide. Your two big bad boy teams got beat by two big bad section five teams. Just because you didnt go doesnt mean you can't give Spencerport and Wayne such credit that they deserve, and Canadaigua beat Wayne in a dual meet a few weeks ago... but I'm sure these are all things you know.

As far as my rankings they would be something like this:
1. Spencerport (hands down)
2. Candaigua (beat wayne in a dual)
3. Wayne (beat valley central in a dual)
4. Valley Central (came closest than anyone else in dual with spencerport, and proved their dominaces at some big tournaments)
5. Hunnington
6. Minisink Valley
7. Islip

Justin Basch - BaschAMania.com

doug
I don't understand monahans letter......who went to queensbury?/......the NYWrestling forum is closed.....that won't be good for traffic to their site.......I think they grew tired of criticism, even though it was justified.......they'd delete this post if they could

baschamania
Tim's saying that Glen Irving (from the new york state poll) the real one, didn't even go to the U-E Duals and his own team was their or something, I guess his team is Queensbury, It doesn't make much sense, but at least its getting a little better.

matrat
Glen Irving is not affiliated with the Queensbury wrestling program in any way, shape, or form. He just happens to live in that area, and probably sees alot more section 2 wrestling than anything else.
Page 1 of 1