BJJ View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
BJJ

jukeboxhero
I'm just curious if any of you past or present wrestlers out there have made the transition to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? If so, what are your thoughts about it? If not, go ahead and give your opinion on the sport.

upstategrappler
Its hard to get used to being ok with staying on your back. Once you get past that alot of the skills and concepts are the same as wrestling. I have not done much of it but the little taste I've had has really been fun.

historynut54
i wrestled and graduated in 2005 and this semester in school took up BJJ. its a fairly smooth transition but some things i know i have had problems with and have seen other wrestlers have these problems are

getting comfortable on your back, and not giving up your back other then that its fairly smooth transition i know stuff like my takedowns and hip control has really helped me in BJJ. its a good thing to take up look into it

good luck

jukeboxhero
I started about 3 months ago, and I love it. A little bit more than wrestling. Just a little bit =P

orangeandblack96

i've watch but never took it because i learned it watching UFC

qpinkhat2690
i would like to try this it sounds alot like wrestling and seems like it will help me in this year of wrestling

jukeboxhero
qpinkhat2690 wrote:
i would like to try this it sounds alot like wrestling and seems like it will help me in this year of wrestling

If you do it, make sure its during the off season.

section5tuff
section5 small skools will do so well this year!
im so exctied.
how did we end up gettin like 50 wild cards last year?
how many wild cards did holley hav!?
and how many points did each of them have?

qpinkhat2690
jukeboxhero wrote:
qpinkhat2690 wrote:

ya or during a break for a few weeks with no tournaments or major meets

jsuare
jukeboxhero wrote:
qpinkhat2690 wrote:

Yeah thats what I'm gonna do. In Tx season is over and Freestyle and Greco are in (which isnt school sponsered here). Practice really isnt all that hard or intense mainly b/c we're new to it kind-of, but after practice I go to my bros. fight gym and train with his class. A few guys there know a bit about what I'm doing but any pointers for BJJ, Folkstyle(I got this down but extra help wouldn't hurt), Freestyle, and Greco(I really need help with this).
Thanks

I wrestled through high school, and at 25 took up Traditional Jujitsu. I found it to be an easy transition understanding leverage, and the physics behind the throws. This is not something that is learned overnight but through months and years of practice. I still continue to practice jujitsu and coach wrestling also. Any time you can cross train in any type of grappling is a benefit.

coachross
I wrestled through high school, and at 25 took up Traditional Jujitsu. I found it to be an easy transition understanding leverage, and the physics behind the throws. This is not something that is learned overnight but through months and years of practice. I still continue to practice jujitsu and coach wrestling also. Any time you can cross train in any type of grappling is a benefit.

"Sorry I wasn't logged on when I firest replied"

osnake90
I have been doing submission wrestling for little over a month now the only difference between submission wrestling and bjj is no Gui witch i like a lot about it. for me it was a smooth transition playing off the back was awkward at first but i become more comfortable with it each day. for any one in the section 2 NY area TNT has its own submission club on Tuesday and Thursday Night 630 to 8. its taught by Nick Sanzo who faught in UFC 12 and has trained with Renzo Grace in NYC its a grate environment if you are interested at all come check it out the 1st night is free

jukeboxhero
Just an update. I am fully adjusted to being on my back, and am fully acclamated with the GI(Have been for awhile). This sport is wayyyy more technical than wrestling could ever be. There's so many basic principles to learn. Not only are you using basic leverage, you also have to accomodate for an opponent grabbing onto your GI. Submissions can be thrown in almost all positions. I'm addicted, and will probably be training BJJ for the rest of my active life. Anyone looking to get back into some type of grappling should definatley look into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

There's a tournament in Fredonia coming up in April.

True this sport is way more technical than wrestling, however, wrestlers have the advantage when starting BJJ rather than a regular Joe going in w/ not a clue.
Some experience is better than none!
Page 1 of 1