college clubs @ U of R and Syracuse View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
college clubs @ U of R and Syracuse

nmhswc
I remember working out in a raquetball court at the U of R in the eighties... Good luck with getting it together!

Has anyone heard of any effort THIS year to get Syracuse's club going and maybe an effort to get them a DI program? There has been a slight resurgence in the last few years with Utah, Bucknell, Liberty, etc.. to increase the umbers at the DI level and a school like Syracuse used to be a powerhouse. Can you imagine when 'cuse used to be able dominate Cornell, Hofstra (I think) and Buffalo? Mills, Kerr and a whole bunch of others made it big on the national scene!

Ernie the Eagle
The 'Cuse was big-time. Historically the best program that has been dropped.

nmhswc
Imagine Tom Ryan returning to coach the school he was recruited by and wrestled for (until Syracuse dropped its program and he transferred to Iowa). Imagine some portion of the Carrier Dome being full of fans for the Iowa dual - they were that good at one time. Who wouldn't go in Sections Five, Three and Ten?

jzcrandall
My name is John Crandall, and I am the head coach for SU's club team. I've had about 25 kids come out (mostly freshmen). My goal is to make SU a competitive program in the next four years so that it'll get the powers-that-be's attention and hopefully bring D-I wrestling back to SU.

Ernie the Eagle
Slight correction - Tom Ryan transferred to Iowa about 10 years before Syracuse dropped its program.
Page 1 of 1