Syracuse? View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Syracuse?

nmhswc
A comment on Flo made me think about 'Cuse again. Has there been any movement in getting a program back there? Bucknell has done nothing but shoot up since reinstating their program 4 or 5 years ago... Can you imagine the squad that could be put together up over there using local talent with a few out of state wrestlers? Imagine an upstate battle between Cornell, Binghamton, Buffalo and Syracuse?

keithlift
A few years ago a wrestler of mine was looking into their school as about 3 or 4 years ago they were supposably on a 2 year plan to get the program back...their first phase was to get a club wrestling team back for a few years witha volunteer coach and show the school that they currently had wrestlers their that wanted to participate at a high official level......

BUT from what I heard several road blocks occured 1) if they added a men's wrestling team they would have to add a ladies team of some sport..

2) the other problem that can occur not sure if it did was that becuase they did not have neither a club nor NCAA wrestling team..their might not have been enough current college wrestlers going there to support a club team....and or the club team was as far as the school was prepared to go..so it may have fissled out before it even got going.......

I will try to get in contact with past athlete and find out....

Several of my lifters are considering Cuse for Lacross.....

and they wrestle too...

Keith

matburn
Site Admin
Here's some Syracuse University Wrestling info from the Daily Orange:

Daily Orange wrote:
Timeline:

1922: Wrestling begins at Syracuse.*
1925: First showing at Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association championships
1949: Team EIWA champions, 3 individual champions
1950: Team EIWA champions, 3 individual champions
1954: Edwin Rooney sets NCAA record for fastest fall (31 seconds)
1963: Jim Nance wins NCAA wrestling champion
1965: Jim Nance wins NCAA wrestling champion
1965: Team EIWA champions, 1 individual champions
1965: Team EIWA champions, 2 individual champions
1994: Team EIWA champions, 3 individual champions
1991: Team EIWA champions 3
1989: Team EIWA champions 2
1980: Gene Mills named to Olympic team
1981: Team EIWA 4 individual Gene Mills becomes SU's first 4-time All-American
1992: Mark Kerr Division 1 champion at 190 pounds
1996: Jason Gleasman participates in the Olympics in Atlanta.
1997: Jason Gleasman, EIWA champion
2001: Team disbanded for financial reasons and Title IX
2003: Club founded
2005: Club begins competition

EIWA: 8 team titles (most recent 1994)
62 individial champions (most recent 1998)
7 NCAA champions
6 Top 10 finishes as a team in NCAA
35 all Americans

The last Syracuse Wrestling Club dual meet reported to the NCWA was on 24 Feb. 2008. There's some contact info listed in the NCWA website.

* ArmDrag.com has an article from Jan. 1920, indicating that Syracuse had a team in 1919-20 season, two years earlier than the Daily Orange lists.

bob
gene mills was a beast when he was on syracuse

GR8DANES
The club team was very active in the NCWA for a couple years and then fizzled due to lack of leadership and support from the college.

jzcrandall
I am the head coach for Syracuse's club team. My objective is to make the club competitive at the NCWA level within four years. I am also working closely with Gene Mills and other SU wresting alum to help reach our ultimate goal of having an NCAA-sanctioned program.

piper1
It seems like I remember hearing SU originally had dropped the program to create more scholarships for womens basketball, what has to happen for SU wrestling ncaa program to be reinstated?
Page 1 of 1