Churchville - Chili View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Churchville - Chili

mbsuxx
Who is the best wrestler to come out of Churchville- Chili?

Neil Thomas - Super Sectional Champ in '79

or

Scott Court

takedown=2points
neil thomas

tomakeastament02
the vatile brothers

Hambone
Neil Thomas by a landslide. He was long and thin; he loved neutralizing his opponent with a figure four to the body while punishing the head with his right forearm. Truly an outstanding wrestler!!! Placed fifth in the 1979 State Tournament.

Scott Trainor was also a great wrestler; Sectional Champion in 1980.

Neil Thomas and Scott Trainor were coached by Rufus Maxfield. Both wrestlers were humble and very well-liked!!!

backsuplex
Anyone of the Legacy brother's would have been CC #1's if they had finished it out @ CC. But that was before you couldn't live in a PO Box. All nice kids and good wrestlers.

mbsuxx
You're right the Legacy's were good......Rory was outstanding - he came in 2nd at States as a Senior........he wrestled at about seven different High Schools - Churchville-Chili, Spencerport, Bishop Kearney etc.

Shane Legacy and Tris Legacy were also good.

Tim Archer (9Cool and Marc Wilson (130) were also excellent.

Bill Breon, Curtis Delaughter and Bob Coyne were pretty good.

Rufus Maxfield was a good guy....is he still coaching?

Woody60
I'm throwing Scott Trainor's name into the mix.

Cort72
Im going to throw Craig Cody's name into the mix. Did pretty well at CC and went on to wrestle D I at App State. I believe they had a life size wooden cut out thing of him and some other wrestlers hanging in the one gym for a number of years.

equate24
i think cody may have went to the ncaas 3 times as well for app

mbsuxx
Craig Cody was really strong....he had some good matches with State Champ Clay Barnard of Hilton. I think Coday was the Spencerport Coach for a year - he was at the helm after Coach Teike left / before Coach J came.

Scott Court was another good C-C wrestler from the 70's .....he had a really good cradle.

Did Demeco / Trainor die in a car accident while in HS?

RamblinMan11
I think you got to say Neil Thomas, although don't forget Mike Castro took 3rd at States back in '06 (at 275lbs)...No Rufus doesn't coach anymore I believe he retired in the late 80's...Joe McVige has been the head coach since '03 and has done a nice job of making CC respectable again...I'm not sure who the Vatile brothers are but maybe you mean Vitale? I think you could of included them in here if they all finished out there careers but only the oldest one did (Mike?), it's a shame the other 2 didn't because they were tough...

dogbite
Neil...yup I remember practicing with him, you got to know every crevice in the mat when he got those legs in on you. Rufus, he played "Back In The USSR" at the beginning of practice. A not so suttle hint as to who was in control for the next 2 1/2 hours. Scott passed away his Freshman year in college I believe it was, hit by a car on campus. Good wrestler and good guy. Can't forget the Bumgartners (spelling may be off) I can remember the night Curt beat Rory, can't remember where Rory was wrestling, maybe Spencerport? Lot's a respectable Courts also, Doug & Kevin come to mind. And way back, the Millers, Sam & Gary I think. CC was tough back then, in those day's we hung with Sport. I'll never forget my first day as a Freshman at practice, Coyne, Delaughter, Denny so pumped to be back in the gym with another chance to kick some #@*, it was war in those days. Friday nights packed house complete with the spot light. Rufus with his steel clip board (cause he broke the others slammin them to the floor) the nose plugs from hell (reached your brain stem while he was barking advise, made it tough to concentrate). Any way.....good years, good memories, good people.

wrestlingny
RamblinMan11 wrote:
I think you got to say Neil Thomas, although don't forget Mike Castro took 3rd at States back in '06 (at 275lbs)...No Rufus doesn't coach anymore I believe he retired in the late 80's...Joe McVige has been the head coach since '03 and has done a nice job of making CC respectable again...I'm not sure who the Vatile brothers are but maybe you mean Vitale? I think you could of included them in here if they all finished out there careers but only the oldest one did (Mike?), it's a shame the other 2 didn't because they were tough...
yes

jukeboxhero
If the two younger Vitale brothers continued wrestling, they would have been monsters.

mbsuxx
Churchville's best team was 1978 - they beat Spencerport. I don't think they've beaten Spencerport since then.

Steve Denner was another good C-C wrestler.
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next