cant wait to hear how everyone enjoyed the qualifier today! View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
cant wait to hear how everyone enjoyed the qualifier today!

bigjasonh
We just got home from lasalle what a fun day! Saw 7 hrs of great wrestling of which my son wrestled 3 minutes.

scoop
ditto! Absolutely redunculous!!!!!!!!!!!

irishmob
I thought there was some real good competition there.There were more people this year then last,so hopefully it picks up some steam and gets even bigger.

irishmob
It was good to see alot of j-men there.

Bear2
There were definitely some organizational struggles but I think that was due to many more entries than they expected - the Greco took way longer than expected - but that is a good thing. I would recommend that those in charge of this event meet and talk real soon and write down the good and the bad and then plan for a bigger event next year - bigger location with more mats, a PA system to locate lost wrestlers, less down time on the mats, better planning on the brackets, etc. It was a long day but also a good day for Section 2 Freestyle and Greco - hopefully a sign of better things to come!

Ya'Motha
NOT SO HAPPY YO!!!

Cauliflowerear2
It seem like some people never been to a wrestling tournament before. With almost 200 wrestlers and wrestling both styles in one day of course its going to take all day. 7 o'clock is much earlier than most high school tournaments and we went through two tournaments. It was great to see such a big turn out for section 2, even had a number of out of section wrestlers. The main problem was that there wasn't enough help to run the tournament. The few people that did give up thier time to help were bombarded especially the pairers. Everybody is so quick to complain and make a stink but nobody wants to help make it go faster, Then they say well i dont know how to do it, there were many things that couild of been done by people who dont know how to pair like writing out bout sheets, and writing the brackets in freestyle and greco is easy and can be taugh quickly. If people went to alot of tournaments they would know that this is normal, just went to a tournament in pa last week where they wrestled both styles in one day and it was over at 7.

Beast
This is not normal, with 200 kids, they should have been out by 2pm both styles completed. your right , the problem was not enough help, but they never asked for any help and clearly, there was no planning, so i agree they needed more help, but poor planning is at the root of the problem here. Also there was no need to run the younger kids at the same time as Cadet and Juniors. i think peole have a right to complain about spending 12-13 hours at a tournament with 200 kids.

pinforfun
I think I speak for the majority when I say that this was one of the worst events in recent memory. The competition that stayed was pretty good but I'm not sure if it was worth the wait. This was a state qualifying event and some kids didn't wrestle for hours. This is not normal. If you looked around there were open mats and a lot of forfeits because people just left. Major changes need to be made.

Cauliflowerear2
then make them, everybody is qucik to talk about how bad it was then take over and do something about it. i dont see any other freestyle and greco tournaments in the albany area, if you think you can do better than do

trazzinator
When you weigh in at 11 am and dont wrestle until 5pm something is very wrong! and then when you do get a chance to wrestle the kids left due to the poor organization. GO JOURNEYMEN!.

GrappleDad15
First, I would to start by saying, this was our first GR and Freestyle tournament experience. My son has expressed a serious attitude towards these styles over folkstyle, so my job as Dad is to afford him the opportunity if that's his interest.

Secondly, I would like to applaud those who attempted to put together a qualifier, not only for the Section II and Albany area wrestlers, but for NYS wrestlers as well. This is not always an easy task. There are some lessons to be learned so let's not dwell on the past--take notes, turn negatives into positives, put aside any differences and lets make this event better going forward. After all, as educators always are quoted as saying "It's all about or for the kids."

Lastly, the turn out in itself should be an indicator there is some serious interest in Greco Roman and Freestyle in our area. Programs such as Journeyman, HYWC, and Titans, etc, should be working together in-concert to make these types of events more successful (perhaps behind the scenes they are and I'm not saying they're not). The bickering of "this tournament was better run that that tournament" attitude does no justice for the sport of wrestling. Competition and rivalries amongst clubs is healthy and highly encouraged, however, everyone should work together to show-case this sport and keep it on the NYS map.

Cauliflowerear2
the turn out was great and unexpected, last year there was only about 50 wrestlers at this tournament this year there was almost 200. Yes it could have went smoother. personal i think that the kids divisions (schoolboy and younger) should be a seperate tournament and the cadet and juniors another tournament. It would be great to have all the coaches in the area to work together but nobody is willing to do the work. If thier not willing to do the work to have thier own tournament you think they are going to help someone else?

Beast
cauliflowerear2,
you are obviously too close to this tournament to be rational, you continue to say no one would help, and everyone is bad mouthing it. NO ONE asked for help, there were many qualified people involved in the tournament and in the stands that could have helped, no one ever asked !!! There was probably 20 exhibition matches wrestled, they could have prepared several of the larger brackets and got them going instead of waiting to bring out all the match sheets at one time. it was simply a case of poor planning, that doesnt mean the folks that ran the tournament didnt work their tails off, because they did, and it is greatly appreciated, but enough of the crying about it and telling everyone "then you do it" be an adult and get better. Thank you to the folks involved for having a local FS/GR tournament.

S5Crew
A couple of things to think about.
1) Weigh-ins were kept open til about 915am because several people ended up at Lasalle in Albany. (So pairing started late)
2) We ran two full separate tournaments about 200 kids in each (never has this tournament drew over 100 kids in the past and maybe
half the kids would do greco.)
3) Brackets paired for 200 kids is not a quick process.
4) Its a learning experience we know what we did wrong, we know what we did right. Things couldn't be fixed that day but now we've
learned and can address issues. Fixes for next year have already been talked about. (100 kids would have been a lot smoother)
5) Freestyle pairing could not start til noon because freestyle weigh-ins were open til then. Freestyle wrestling couldn't start til the 200
kid Greco tournament was completed.
6) NOW WE KNOW AND IT WILL BE MUCH BETTER NEXT YEAR.

Last edited by S5Crew on Apr 20, 2010; edited 2 times in total
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next