Spencerport coaching change. View previous topic | View next topic

Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Spencerport coaching change.

QUIET
60lbsl8r wrote:
I heard that the meeting went well last night. I hope that the board members and whoever's in charge has the courage to stand up for what the kids and community want and not what the man in the suit wants.

I was not able to attend. And me too. If the current BOE can add up some AD 'decisions' that have occurred over the last 5-10 years, they should see it.

QUIET
SectionVAlum wrote:
While I usually read the forums on here and refrain from commenting, this issue is very interesting and complex so I wanted to share my insight.

As a section v wrestling alum and high school teacher in the area, I have been a part of and followed section v wrestling for over 20 years now. As an educator, I take my profession very seriously in that it is our sole purpose to provide for the best education possible to students. From my observations, this is where Coach D'Ambra failed. While we may disagree with Mr. Pelin's decision because of our personal approval of Coach D'Ambra, we must look at the purpose of the profession to provide insight into what has taken place.

From what I have been told, Coach D'Ambra has been dismissed from 3 different teaching positions within the Spencerport School District.

Subsequently retracted.

SectionVAlum wrote:
This is the first alarming fact into a person's character as an educator and should cause serious red flags as to whether or not this person is suited to educate. Secondly, anyone who has been around Section V Wrestling the past few years has seen that Coach D'Ambra's behavior around the mat is more than questionable, including an ejection from the Jamestown Tournament.

I never thought a wrestling coach standing up for his wrestlers was a bad thing. The Spencerport team has lost the Jamestown tournament on many occasions due to referees that Coach J had to 'live with' - when he was much more seasoned. I believe Spencerport still won this tournament???? And the AD of Spen decided that b/c Mr. D was DQ'd from the tournament for questioning 3 calls that were overruled, resulted in a suspension. (Equivalent to a soccer coach getting a red card.) This is not NYS - this was an internal decision.

SectionVAlum wrote:

Lastly, it is the job of a head coach to build an entire program and invigorate participation in a sport. Looking at the sharp decline in numbers of the Spencerport wrestling program as a whole, and the weakness of the lower levels within the program, it seems as if Coach D'Ambra has within three years taken one of the most prestigious programs and made it extremely top heavy. To not focus on the entire program is to fail at your job.

It was easy for full time PE teacher at the middle school to work on the participation at the middle school, which is how Coach J got numbers into the program. It isn't fair to hold a part time teacher to this. That is a 'program' issue. Should Mr. D volunteer time? while only working as a PT teacher?

SectionVAlum wrote:

When an athletic director hires a coach at the high school level, they are hired to educate student-athletes as an extension of the classroom. It is the job of the athletic director to ensure that athletic programs are growing and promoting growth of good character. However, it is very difficult to teach character and class when a head coach does not possess those qualities himself.

As a professional educator first, and a wrestling fan second, it is very clear to me as to why Mr. Pelin made the decision he did. In three years the program has declined on and off the matt from the tutelage of Coach Jacoutot. Hopefully this move will bring the greatness of Spencerport Wrestling, in its entirety, back.

Mr. P has hired MANY coaches that aren't teachers in the district.

jukeboxhero
njfan545 wrote:
Well this makes sense, as an avid wrestling fan from new jersey the recent rumblings around the nj wrestling forums. The quick departure of bill jacoutot jr and his assistant from his current coaching position. The rumor is he left his current position to take a job in his home state. now this makes more sense!

Show us or B.S.

QUIET
I'd be OK if Billy Jr. got hired and immediately brought back Coach D into the program. On the other hand Coach D, with his success being better than as 'predicted' (who wants to research the blogs from 3 years ago) - shouldn't take it if that is the case. Coach J passed the baton to the right guy IMO.

CombatSpeed
Libel - defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures. Anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

Mr. SectionVAlum....I believe you have been defeated. Libel is exactly what you have produced in describing Coach D'Ambra. Comparing us to Hitler and Mussolini was a last ditch effort to deflect animosity and disrespect onto the members of this forum who disagree with you. Sad. It is America and opinons should be voiced, but in appropriate ways and situations. There is a rule that we all learn very early on in life, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I am glad to hear that the BOE meeting went well! Hopefully the voice of the people (taxpayers) is going to be heard and acted upon.

Good Luck to Coach D'Ambra!

fiveldinger
It's pretty obvious to me that the AD has an issue with the coach whether the coach knew it or not. If they are still seeking a coach, then it's not a matter of a teacher wanting the job and bumping his way in. The Ad has the power and he's using it, plain and simple.

Cort72
SectionVAlum wrote:
This is the first alarming fact into a person's character as an educator and should cause serious red flags as to whether or not this person is suited to educate. Secondly, anyone who has been around Section V Wrestling the past few years has seen that Coach D'Ambra's behavior around the mat is more than questionable, including an ejection from the Jamestown Tournament.

[quote="QUIET"] I never thought a wrestling coach standing up for his wrestlers was a bad thing. The Spencerport team has lost the Jamestown tournament on many occasions due to referees that Coach J had to 'live with' - when he was much more seasoned. I believe Spencerport still won this tournament???? And the AD of Spen decided that b/c Mr. D was DQ'd from the tournament for questioning 3 calls that were overruled, resulted in a suspension. (Equivalent to a soccer coach getting a red card.) This is not NYS - this was an internal decision.

He was ejected for official abuse but what may or may not be known is as a result of his actions, Spencerport was told they are not welcome back at the tourny. I think that fact also had something to do with his 1 "match" suspension handed down by the AD....

portwhine
"Hello, this is Spencerport...May we speak to Mitch Clark, please?"

the kind one
portwhine wrote:
"Hello, this is Spencerport...May we speak to Mitch Clark, please?"

where does this rumor come from? i remember the same the last coaching vacancy

QUIET
[quote="Cort72"]
SectionVAlum wrote:

QUIET wrote:
I never thought a wrestling coach standing up for his wrestlers was a bad thing. The Spencerport team has lost the Jamestown tournament on many occasions due to referees that Coach J had to 'live with' - when he was much more seasoned. I believe Spencerport still won this tournament???? And the AD of Spen decided that b/c Mr. D was DQ'd from the tournament for questioning 3 calls that were overruled, resulted in a suspension. (Equivalent to a soccer coach getting a red card.) This is not NYS - this was an internal decision.

He was ejected for official abuse but what may or may not be known is as a result of his actions, Spencerport was told they are not welcome back at the tourny. I think that fact also had something to do with his 1 "match" suspension handed down by the AD....

We'll see if that is a rumor too. They haven't wanted us at the tournament for a long time - tried keeping us out by taking team points away a couple years in a row, etc, etc. They tried to not have Coach J's teams return. It's always this tournament. Whatever.

Cort72
[quote="QUIET"]
Cort72 wrote:
SectionVAlum wrote:

QUIET wrote:

We'll see if that is a rumor too. They haven't wanted us at the tournament for a long time - tried keeping us out by taking team points away a couple years in a row, etc, etc. They tried to not have Coach J's teams return. It's always this tournament. Whatever.

It's def not a rumor....... but you may never know since they may be allowed back in due to the coaching change.

QUIET
Stay tuned....

bob
Cort be easy pretty sure your a gateskid (gloves buddy) easy on Dambra.

QUIET
3 years coaching, 3 sectional titles, 3 Monroe county tournaments, with a team of many returning underclassman, and he's obviously the worst coach ever in Spencerport. Or quite possibly the best? Did Coach J have 3 sectional titles his first 3 years? Seems to me the entire coaching staff at Spencerport should be out of a job if Coach D is.

60lbsl8r
SectionVAlum wrote:

When an athletic director hires a coach at the high school level, they are hired to educate student-athletes as an extension of the classroom. It is the job of the athletic director to ensure that athletic programs are growing and promoting growth of good character. However, it is very difficult to teach character and class when a head coach does not possess those qualities himself.

Don't ever comment on the character or class of someone you know nothing about. D'ambra was a good coach, a hard worker, and one of the most influential people in my life. I was fortunate enough to have been coached by him, before and after Spencerport underwent the coaching change. I can also say the day Mr. J announced his retirement was one of pure shock and utter amazement. None of us could believe it. The job posting that followed was nerve racking, we had no clue who would be our coach. When they announced that D'Ambra would be named head coach that all went away. We had only been with D'ambra for one year, but that year was eye opening. The skills and knowledge D'ambra brought to the room were unmatchable, he had an answer for everything. Truly a technician of the sport. He drilled with some of the juniors that year, made sure they were down to weight. I think the fact that he was so young and had just got done wrestling in college was a good thing for us ....we felt like he could relate to us...he knew what we were goin through. He has the skills, the mindset and most importantly the dedication and passion needed to coach @Spen. It will be devastating to the success of the program to see him go.
Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next