Brockport / Oklahoma Wrestling Invitational View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Brockport / Oklahoma Wrestling Invitational

lombardo
- Saturday, Novemebr 8, 2014
- SERC (Special Events Recreation Center), The College at Brockport
- Start; 10am

2014 Participating Teams;

- The College at Brockport
- Bloomsburg University
- University of Oklahoma
- U.S. Military Academy (ARMY)
- Lock Haven University
- University of Buffalo
- Kent State University

High School Wrestling Team Special;
20 Athletes, 2 Coaches
$50 All Day Admission (Advance Sale Only)
Please make checks payable to: Brockport Athletics
Send checks by mail to: Liam Welsh
The College at Brockport
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, NY 14420
Tickets can be purchased online at www.brockporttickets.com
and will be available at the ticket booth the day of the event.

Don't miss this outstanding wrestling opportunity!

lombardo
Coaches,

Have you made your team reservations yet? Don't delay.
This year's event is sure to provide some outstanding competition...........................

High School Wrestling Team Special;
20 Athletes, 2 Coaches
$50 All Day Admission (Advance Sale Only)
Please make checks payable to: Brockport Athletics
Send checks by mail to: Liam Welsh
The College at Brockport
350 New Campus Drive
Brockport, NY 14420
Tickets can be purchased online at www.brockporttickets.com
and will be available at the ticket booth the day of the event.

Additional event information, please contact;
Liam Welsh, Tournament Director at (585) 395-5329

lombardo
Current D1 Ranked Wrestlers; Source Wrestling Report.com (Gregg Henry 9/23/14)

125- none

Cody Brewer Okl
Mack McGuire KS
Cody Wheeler LH

Robert Rehm LH

Mike DiPalma KS
Dan Neff LH

Ian Miller KS
Justin DeAngelis Okl

Clark Glass Okl
Chandler Smith USMA

Brian Harvey USMA
Caleb Marsh KS

Sam Wheeler KS
Fred Garcia LH

Bryce Barnes USMA
Cole Baxter KS

Ross Larson OU

lombardo
NCAA D1 Team Rankings;

- Tournament Rank;
# 21 Kent State
# 22 University of Oklahoma

- Dual Meet Rank;
# 23 University of Oklahoma
# 25 Kent State

lombardo
Andrew Howe and Kendric Maple Join Oklahoma Wrestling Staff

July 29, 2014 NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma head wrestling coach Mark Cody has announced the addition of two former OU student-athletes and NCAA champions to his coaching staff. Andrew Howe has been hired as an assistant coach, while Kendric Maple will serve as a volunteer assistant coach.

Both Howe and Maple are coming off impressive and decorated collegiate careers. Howe is a four-time All-American, while Maple earned three such honors. The duo joins assistant coach Michael Lightner, who is also an NCAA champion and four-time All-American.

“Our goal through this process was to try to cover every weight class. I think we’ve done that, and we’ve done that with quality people,” Cody said. “With the addition of Andrew and Kendric, we now have three coaches on staff who have met the goals we want for all of our student-athletes. They are all NCAA champions, and all have graduated from the University of Oklahoma with excellent GPAs.

"When I am putting a staff together, my philosophy is to not only have good quality people but also coaches who can work with and work out and train with our athletes,” Cody added. “I think we have accomplished that in hiring Andrew and Kendric. They have both set a benchmark for all of our student-athletes, and who better to show our student-athletes the way than someone who has already been there?”

Howe won the 2010 NCAA Championship at 165 pounds, grabbed four All-America honors and compiled a 122-10 overall record in his career. In his first three seasons, Howe competed at the University of Wisconsin before joining the Sooners for a redshirt season in 2012-13 and his senior season in 2013-14.

In four career NCAA Championships appearances, the Cedar Lake, Ind., native never finished lower than third place. As a sophomore in 2010, Howe won the 165-pound NCAA title. This past season, Howe placed second at the NCAA Championships in Oklahoma City and posted a 28-2 record. The NCAA runner-up finish was the second of Howe’s career as he also placed second in 2009 as a freshman at Wisconsin, and in 2011, he placed third.

He was a three-time Big Ten Champion in 2009, 2010 and 2011, and finished second in the 2014 Big 12 Championship at 174 pounds. Howe was named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team and to the NWCA Division I All-Academic Team in 2014.

“I am very excited to begin my coaching career at the University of Oklahoma, and I would like to thank Mark Cody for giving me this incredible opportunity,” Howe said. “I have enjoyed my time here, and it's great to have a larger role in the program. I plan on continuing to foster an intense mindset and work with individuals to win at the highest level of wrestling.

"We are looking to recruit wrestlers who want to receive an outstanding education, win individual national titles and be on national championship teams,” Howe continued. “I am excited to start working with the coaching staff and return Oklahoma to the top team in the country.”

Howe graduated from OU with a bachelor’s degree in multidisciplinary studies and is currently working toward a master’s degree in human relations.

One of the most successful wrestlers in program history, Maple posted an overall record of 127-25, placing him sixth for career wins at OU. The Wichita, Kan., native became the 25th Sooner to become a three-time All-American after finishing eighth at 149 pounds at the 2014 NCAA Championships.

Maple took the 141-pound title in 2013 as a redshirt junior, becoming the first Sooner in eight years to win an NCAA crown, finishing with a perfect 31-0 record. In 2012, Maple took fourth place at the national tournament. Additionally, Maple won three straight Big 12 titles (2012-14).

Maple has also succeeded in the classroom, being named to the NWCA Division I All-Academic Team three times (2012-14), Academic All-Big 12 First Team twice (2013-14) and to the Academic All-Big 12 Second Team in 2012. This year, Maple was named to the Capital One Academic All-America Division I At-Large Team and was awarded the prestigious NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship and the Big 12 Dr. Prentice Gautt Postgraduate Scholarship.

Currently, Maple is pursuing a master’s degree in higher education, with an emphasis in intercollegiate athletics administration. He also received his bachelor’s degree in health and exercise sciences from OU.

“I wanted to stay with the program because it has become my family and I believe in the system Coach Cody has in place,” Maple said. “I think as a coach I can be very interactive with the student-athletes in the wrestling room. I believe I can help them become not just better wrestlers but better men as well.”

lombardo
Six (Kent State) Flashes in Preseason MAC Wrestling Rankings;

The Mid-American Conference wrestling coaches announced the 2014-15 preseason weight class individual rankings in conjunction with the league office Thursday. Based on those rankings, Kent State was selected fourth of nine teams with 13.5 points.

Six different Golden Flashes earned Top 4 rankings, including a pair of No. 1 spots led by junior 157-pounder Ian Miller (Oak Harbor, Ohio). On Nov.1, Miller will be just the second Kent State wrestler to participate in the NWCA All-Star Classic at the Palestra in Philadelphia.

Junior Mack McGuire (Upper St. Clair, Pa.) tied for the No. 1 spot at 133 with Northern Iowa's Levi Wolfensperger. Like Miller, McGuire is a two-time NCAA qualifier. He finished third at last year's MAC Championships and his 27 wins were second only to Miller among team leaders.

Senior 174-pounder Caleb Marsh (Marysville, Ohio) and junior 149-pounder Mike DePalma (Jeannette, Pa.) each earned a No. 3 ranking. DePalma placed third at the 2014 MAC Championships and went 2-2 at the NCAA Championships. Marsh also qualified for the NCAA Championships and earned a pair of MAC Wrestler of the Week honors.

Sophomore heavyweight Mimmo Lytle (Swanton, Ohio) and senior 141-pounder Tyler Small (Littlestown, Pa.) each claimed No. 4 spots. Small, who will sit out of varsity action in the fall semester, is a two-time NCAA qualifier. Lytle won 15 matches as a redshirt freshman, including three MAC duals.

The Golden Flashes will hold their first official practice Friday, Oct. 10 and will conduct an outdoor practice at Risman Plaza Wednesday, Oct. 15. Kent State opens competition Nov. 8 at the Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational.

The conference is coming off a season that witnessed the ninth MAC individual NCAA Champion in league history, nine All-Americans and a conference-best 43 wrestlers seeded in the 2014 NCAA Championships.

2014-15 MAC Preseason Poll

1. Missouri (27.0)

2. Old Dominion (18.0)

3. Northern Iowa (15.5)

4. Kent State (13.5)

5. Ohio (12.0)

6. Central Michigan (6.0)

7. Northern Illinois (4.0)

8. Eastern Michigan (3.0)

9. Buffalo (0.0)

lombardo
Kevin Ward Named Head Wrestling Coach at West Point

WEST POINT, N.Y. - Kevin Ward, who turned a wrestling program built from scratch at Ouachita Baptist University into a national contender, has been named Army's new head wrestling coach, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Boo Corrigan announced today.

Ward, the 2014 NCAA Division II Coach of the Year, becomes the 10th head coach in program history.

"We are very excited to welcome Kevin to West Point," said Corrigan. "We had a tremendous pool of candidates and Kevin's success building a program, his leadership and passion made him our top choice. Kevin blew away me and the search committee when he visited. He is an overachiever that knows how to win. His accomplishments as a coach are many. We look forward to working with him in this next chapter of our wrestling program."

"I am honored to be selected as the next head wrestling coach at West Point," said Ward. "I would like to express my appreciation to Boo Corrigan and the search committee for giving me this opportunity. It's quite a privilege to lead such a proud program with as much tradition as Army wrestling. The cadet-athletes at West Point are the best of the best, and I look forward helping develop them as leaders of character in the United States Army and champions on the wrestling mat. Army wrestling is in a great spot with a nationally ranked recruiting class coming in and multiple NCAA Qualifiers on the team. We will continue to look for and recruit wrestlers who truly want to be leaders of character and have goals of winning NCAA titles. I am ready to get to work and continue to build on the proud tradition of Army wrestling"

As the first and only head coach of Ouachita Baptist's wrestling program, Ward led the Tigers to top-15 finishes at the NCAA Tournament in each of the last three seasons. Ward coached 10 All-Americans and two NCAA finalists, Dallas Smith and Josh Myers, during his time at Ouachita.

Ward was named the NCAA Division II Coach of the Year after guiding the Tigers to a fourth-place finish at the NCAAs and an 8-5 dual match record last season. Five of Ward's wrestlers claimed All-America honors in 2014, including Myers, who was the national runner-up at the 141-pound weight class.

"I would also like to thank the many great people, and, most importantly, the student-athletes I was fortunate enough to coach at Ouachita Baptist University," said Ward. "Without their hard work and discipline, none of this would have been made possible. They are a great group of young men and we wish them the very best."

After the program's inaugural 2010-11 campaign, Ward coached three All-Americans and steered the Tigers to a 15th-place showing at the NCAA Tournament the following season. The program took another step forward during the 2012-13 season with its first-ever national runner-up in Smith, while the team placed 12th overall at the NCAAs.

Ward was also a major factor in fundraising for the wrestling squad. He helped raise more than $300,000 in donations to the up-and-coming program during his four-year stint. Over his first two months at Ouachita, Ward led the renovation effort of the team's weight room, which hadn't been updated in nearly 30 years.

An accomplished wrestler at Oklahoma State, Ward started his coaching career as a graduate assistant with the Cowboys during the 2006-07 season, while earning his master's degree in health and human performance. He assisted legendary head coach John Smith with drill sessions and preparing the team for competitions, as well as coaching at open tournaments.

Oklahoma State posted a 14-5 overall record and took third place at the Big 12 Championships with Ward on staff. The Cowboys placed fifth at the NCAA Championships and had four All-Americans, including two national runner-ups, Coleman Scott and Johny Hendricks.

As a member of one of the most storied programs in the country, Ward had a tremendous amount of success as a wrestler at Oklahoma State. Ward was on four NCAA National Championship teams (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) and two undefeated squads (2002-03 and 2004-05).

In 2005, Ward beat three opponents to grab the Big 12 title at the 157-pound weight class. He won 12 of his first 14 matches that season and posted a 23-12 record overall. Ward returned to the conference championship the following season, earning a runner-up finish.

Ward qualified for the NCAA Tournament twice and was a three-time National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) Academic All-American. The Cowboys won four Big 12 championships in a row during Ward's time in Stillwater. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in sociology.

Along with his coaching duties over the years, Ward has served on the NWCA Executive Committee and Board of Directors, as well as handling the role of Vice President-elect of the Division II Coaches Association.

lombardo
(4) Lock Haven Bald Eagles ranked by WrestlingReport.com

Rehm, Wheeler, Neff and Garcia all ranked in WrestlingReport.com Preseason Wrestling RankingsWrestling

LOCK HAVEN, Pa. – Four members of the Lock Haven University wrestling team are ranked in the 2014 WrestlingReport.com Division I Preseason Individual Rankings.

Cody Wheeler (Towanda, Pa./Towanda), Bobby Rehm (Lancaster, Pa./Penn Manor), Dan Neff (Quarryville, Pa./Solanco) and Fred Garcia (Donora, Pa./Ringgold) are all ranked at their respective weight classes heading into the 2014-15 season.

Two-time NCAA Tournament qualifier, Garcia leads the way at 184 with a No. 25 ranking. Garcia went 25-9 last season and finished second at the Eastern Wrestling League (EWL) Championships, on the way to this second straight NCAA Tournament appearance. He enters the 2014-15 season with 69 career wins.

Rehm and Neff, who will both move up in weight classes this season are ranked No. 28 and No. 29 at 141, and 149, respectively.

Neff went 32-10 last season and qualified for this second consecutive NCAA Tournament. He'll move up to 149 pounds this season, taking with him 73 career wins.

Rehm redshirted last season, but went 29-9 unattached, while competing primarily at 141 pounds.

Wheeler was sensational all season for the Bald Eagles a year ago and just missed a earning a wild card to the NCAA Tournament. He won over 20 matches last season and finished fifth at the Eastern Wrestling League (Championships).

lombardo
University of Buffalo Wrestling
Blue Team Wins Annual Blue/White Wrestle-Off, 21-9
BUFFALO, NY - The State University of New York, Buffalo wrestling team hosted their annual Blue/White wrestle-off on Thursday night at Alumni Arena with the Blue team defeating the White by the score of 21-9.

"Overall it was a great night with a nice crowd at Alumni Arena," said second-year head coach John Stutzman. "We are excited to finally start the season and see where we are at this time of the year."

The Bulls had four freshman pick up victories in their first appearance on the mat in front of the home crowd while six returners downed their opponents.

Senor captain Max Soria looked good as he returned to UB for his fifth season, coming up with a 7-4 decision victory over Bryan Lantry at 125-pounds. Tyler Rill looked dominant at 174-pounds as he defeated Jarred Lux by decision, 7-3. Redshirt freshman Joe Ariola had a strong showing at 197-pounds as he dominanted James Benjamin, defeating him by decision, 8-2.

RESULTS:

125- Max Soria (Blue) dec Bryan Lantry (White) 7-4
133- Sean Peacock (White) dec Blake Retell (Blue) 6-2
141- Brandon Lapi (Blue) dec Jason Estevez (White) 2-1 ot
149- Justin Cooksey (Blue) dec Trevor Hoffmier (White) 8-2
157- Alex Smythe (White) dec Ryan Kromer (Blue) 5-4
165- Rrok Ndokaj (Blue) dec Muhamed McBryde (White) 4-3 ot
174- Tyler Rill (Blue) dec Jarred Lux (White) 7-3
184- Austin Weigel (Blue) dec Brett Perry (White) 5-3 ot
197- Joe Ariola (White) dec James Benjamin (Blue) 8-2
285- Mike Silvis (Blue) dec Ian James (White) 2-0

The Bulls will hit the mat for their first dual of the 2014-15 season on Saturday, November 1 as they travel to North Carolina to take on Campbell University.

lombardo
West Points (Army) Bryce Barnes Tabbed 19th by WIN Magazine

WEST POINT, N.Y. – Army junior wrestler Bryce Barnes was ranked 19th at the 197-pound weight class in WIN Magazine’s preseason individual rankings on Tuesday.

Barnes posted a 20-16 record a season ago with all of those victories coming at 197 pounds. He placed sixth at the EIWA Championships and qualified for the NCAA Championships. Barnes owns a 45-36 career mark heading into the 2014-15 season.

WIN also released its Preseason Tournament Power Index (TPI), which predicts how a team will finish at the NCAA Tournament. The TPI rankings had Army tied for 56th overall with Drexel.

lombardo
Sooners Start Season with Three Dual Wins
November 01, 2014 NORMAN -- The No. 23 University of Oklahoma wrestling team opened its season in dominating fashion as it grabbed three dual victories against Baker University, Shorter University and Oklahoma City University on Saturday inside Lloyd Noble Center.

Between the three duals, the Sooners tallied eight falls, four technical falls and six major decisions. Fourth-year OU head coach Mark Cody said he thinks his squad did well and that the duals served as a good opportunity to see where the Sooners are at to this point.

"The good thing is that all three of these teams came in and nobody really backed down. They all got after it and wrestled hard against us. It put us in some pretty tough situations, which is what we need right now at this point," Cody explained. "For a lot of our guys, this is their first competition and first time making weight. A lot of them have come down quite a ways, and when you do that you’ve got to get your body and your mind adjusted. We accomplished that today.”

The Sooners started the morning with a shutout victory of Baker, 50-0. In total, OU recorded pins in half the matches of the dual, starting with freshman Ryan Millhof posting one against freshman Sean Dolan at 125 pounds.

The rest of the Sooners’ pins in the match came from freshman Trae Blackwell against freshman Juan Rivers at 141 pounds, redshirt junior Justin DeAngelis against senior Nick Haugen at 157 pounds, redshirt sophomore Matt Reed against junior Trevor Sutton at 174 pounds and redshirt sophomore Ross Larson against senior Beau Bennett at heavyweight.

At 133 pounds, redshirt junior Cody Brewer added an 18-2 technical fall of Baker freshman Bryce Shoemaker in 5:43. Clark Glass also won by technical fall at 165 pounds. The redshirt sophomore beat junior Connor Middleton, 23-6, in 6:18.

Next the Sooners faced Shorter, winning by a 34-6 mark. OU won half its matches by decision at 125, 141, 165, 174 and 184 pounds. The Sooners had a pair of major decision as Brewer took the 133-pound bout by major decision, 16-2, over Shorter freshman Aldon Isenberg and redshirt freshman Shayne Tucker defeated senior Nate Golloway, 15-8.

DeAngelis posted a 15-8 technical fall of sophomore Kannon Madden at 157 pounds. At heavyweight, Larson added his second pin of the day, this one is 0:54 against senior Andrew Ewers.

In its third dual of the day, OU defeated OCU, 40-4. Brewer added his third bonus-points win of the event as he defeated sophomore Adrian Gaines by technical fall, 24-6, in 4:46. Both Blackwell and DeAngelis added to the Sooners’ fall total, winning at 141 and 157 pounds in 2:08 and 2:27, respectively.

Reed won by a 14-3 major decision against senior Jared Bass at 174 pounds, while redshirt sophomore Brad Johnson topped OCU junior Jacob King also by major decision, 22-9.

Even though the wins came against non-Division I opponents, DeAngelis said the competition gives the Sooners a place from which to improve.

“This is a pretty big boost," DeAngelis shared. "We’re going against lower divisions but it’s good to build. We have these matches to see what we really need to work on and then we can just build, build, build every single match.”

Next, 22 Sooners (11 attached and 11 unattached) are scheduled to compete at the OCU Open on Sunday, Nov. 2. OU's next team event is slated for Saturday, Nov. 8, at the Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational in Brockport, N.Y.

-----------

FINAL RESULTS

Oklahoma: 50
Baker: 0

125: Ryan Millhof (OU) fall Sean Dolan (Baker), 2:07
133: Cody Brewer (OU) tech fall Bryce Shoemaker (Baker), 18-2 (5:43)
141: Trae Blackwell (OU) fall Juan Rivera (Baker), 4:40
149: Dryden Dennis (OU) dec. Tyler Dickman (Baker), 2-1
157: Justin DeAngelis (OU) fall Nick Haugen (Baker), 4:21
165: Clark Glass (OU) tech fall Connor Middleton (Baker), 23-6 (6:1Cool
174: Matt Reed (OU) fall Trevor Sutton (Baker), 0:41
184: Greg Wilson (OU) dec. Bryant Guillen (Baker), 9-2
197: Brad Johnson (OU) maj. dec. Billy Leone (Baker), 18-9
HWT: Ross Larson (OU) fall Beau Bennett (Baker), 1:18

Oklahoma: 34
Shorter: 6

125: Ryan Millhof (OU) dec. Ben Smith (Shorter), 8-2
133: Cody Brewer (OU) maj. dec. Aldon Isenberg (Shorter), 16-2
141: Trae Blackwell (OU) dec. Colby Rinehart (Shorter), 11-5
149: Shayne Tucker (OU) maj. dec. Nate Galloway (Shorter), 16-8
157: Justin DeAngelis (OU) tech. fall Kannon Madden (Shorter), 23-7 (5:20)
165: Wally Figaro (Shorter) dec. Alec Iacovelli (OU), 3-1
174: Dalton Lane (Shorter) dec. Clark Glass (OU), 5-2
184: Matt Reed (OU) dec. Terrence Smith (Shorter), 4-0
197: Brad Johnson (OU) forfeit (Shorter)
HWT: Ross Larson (OU) fall Andrew Ewers (Shorter), 0:54

Oklahoma: 40
OCU: 4

125: Ryan Millhof (OU) dec. Aaron LaFarge (OCU), 5-0
133: Cody Brewer (OU) tech. fall Adrian Gaines (OCU), 24-6 (4:46)
141: Trae Blackwell (OU) fall James Landoll (OCU), 2:08
149: Dryden Dennis (OU) dec. Brok Williams (OCU), 4-1
157: Justin DeAngelis (OU) fall Aaron Guery (OCU), 2:27
165: Rick McCarty (OCU) maj. dec. Alec Iacovelli (OU), 9-1
174: Matt Reed (OU) maj. dec. Jared Bass (OCU), 14-3
184: Greg Wilson (OU) dec. Derek Sivertsen (OCU), 9-2
197: Brad Johnson (OU) maj. dec. Jacob King (OCU), 22-9
HWT: Michael Brown (OU) forfeit (OCU)

lombardo
Buffalo Wrestling Opens Up Season With A Win At Campbell, 46-6

Posted: Nov 01, 2014BLUES CREEK, NC – The State University of New York, Buffalo wrestling team opened up their 2014-15 season on Saturday afternoon with a dominant 46-6 victory over the Campbell Fighting Camels. A pair of Bulls started their seasons with a victory by fall.

"Campbell is going through a transition," stated head coach John Stutzman. "It was good for our guys to get another weigh-in and perform. We did very well in our wins and even in our losses, we still had a chance to win. Now it's time to focus on tomorrow."

After winning the first four matches by forfeit, freshman Alex Smythe took to the mat for his first collegiate dual. Smythe put in a good fight but was eventually defeated by decision, 6-4, by Daniel Luty of Campbell. Rrok Ndokaj was up next at 165-pounds and he did not disappoint as he earned the dominant 12-1 major decision victory over Garrison Matthews.

Tyler Rill started his season off right with a fall victory over Nedd Batts at 174-pounds. Rill dominated from the opening whistle as he pinned Batts just 4:03 into the match. Redshirt freshman Joe Ariola was the next Bull to earn a victory by fall for his first career victory. Ariola dominated Ben Cruz as he was able to earn the pin at 5:34.

In his first career dual at 184-pounds, Austin Weigel put forth a great fight but was defeated by Ville Heino, 5-4.

UB will return to the mat on Sunday morning as they travel to Boone, NC for the Appalachian State Duals at 9:00 am. UB will take on Appalachian State, Gardner-Webb and Cumberland on Sunday.

RESULTS:
125 – Max Soria won by forfeit
133 – Sean Peacock won by forfeit
141 – Jason Estevez won by forfeit
149 – Justin Cooksey won by forfeit
157 – Alex Smythe lost by decision to Daniel Luty, 6-4
165 – Rrok Ndokaj won by major decision over Garrison Matthews, 12-1
174 – Tyler Rill won by fall over Nedd Batts, 4:03
184 – Austin Weigel lost by decision to Ville Heino, 5-4
197 – Joe Ariola won by fall over Ben Cruz, 5:34
285 – Mike Silvis won by forfeit

lombardo
Bloomsburg Drops Season Opener To No. 14 Pittsburg, 35-3

PITTSBURGH – The University of Pittsburgh wrestling team began its 2014-15 campaign by taking down host Bloomsburg on Sunday, Nov. 2, 35-3.

The nationally-ranked No. 14 Panthers had little trouble with Bloomsburg, who was replacing 10 starters lost to graduation. Pitt won nine bouts, losing only at 141 pounds, and received bonus points in four of them.

“Overall I think it was just a solid team effort. We had to bumps some guys up to different weight classes, and it really shows some of the depth we have on this team,” said head coach Jason Peters.

Wrestling in his first collegiate match, true freshman Dom Forys set the tone early picking up a technical fall over Elliot Zackoski 22-6.

In what might have been the most exciting match of the day, redshirt freshman Nick Zanetta and Andy Schutz went to a one minute, sudden victory tied at 4-4 in the 133 pound feature. Zanetta secured a takedown to grab a 6-4 win and give Pitt a 7-0 lead at the time.

“Dom Forys got the match started with a major decision, a tech fall, so that was good,” said Peters. “And then it was followed up with a win.”

Following a loss by Pitt at 141 pounds, the Panthers won the final seven matches to cruise to victory. The next four all were decided by regular decision, while the Panthers’ final three of redshirt senior Max Thomusseit, redshirt junior Nick Bonaccorsi and redshirt sophomore John Rizzo all earned bonus point victories. At 184 pounds, Thomusseit won by fall against David Williams in 4:45 while Rizzo did him one better, securing a fall over his opponent Shaun Heist in the 285-pound matchup 20 seconds faster in 4:25. Bonaccorsi won by major decision with a score of 9-0 against Michael Mirra at 197 pounds.

Former national qualifiers Mikey Racciato (Dec. 7-3) and Ronnie Garbinsky (Dec. 8-2) tallied wins at 149 and 157 pounds, respectively.

Redshirt junior Eric Nutter and redshirt senior Troy Reaghard both competed up a weight class for the Panthers in the match. Nutter, who wrestled at 165 pounds, won a 6-0 decision over Brad Miccio and Reaghard defeated his counterpart Mark Granahan by a 4-1 decision at 174 pounds.

“We have a lot of new faces in the lineup. Some young guys performed well for their first time out,” said Peters. “It was a good way to get the season started.”

Pitt is back in action on Thursday, Nov. 6 when it travels to No. 10 Edinboro for an early season match between two of the top teams in the country.

Pitt 35, Bloomsburg 3

125: Dom Forys (P) tech fall Elliot Zackoski (B), 22-6; Pitt leads, 4-0

133: Nick Zanetta (P) SV over Andy Schutz (B), 6-4; Pitt leads, 7-0

141: Tanner Cahill (B) dec. Ben Ross (P), 9-3; Pitt leads, 7-3

149: Mikey Racciato (P) dec. Kevin Laubach (B), 7-3; Pitt leads, 10-3

157: Ronnie Garbinsky (P) dec. Matt Hammerstone (B), 8-2; Pitt leads, 13-7

165: Eric Nutter (P) dec. Brad Miccio (B), 6-0; Pitt leads, 16-3

174: Troy Reaghard (P) dec. Mark Granahan (B), 4-1; Pitt leads, 19-3

184: Max Thomusseit (P) fall David Williams (B), 4:45; Pitt leads, 25-3

197: Nick Bonaccorsi (P) m. dec. Michael Mirra (B), 9-0; Pitt leads, 29-3

285: John Rizzo (P) fall Shaun Heist (B), 4:25; Pitt wins, 35-3

lombardo
Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational Saturday, 11/8/14
16th Annual Tournament features six NCAA Division I teams.

The College at Brockport and Oklahoma University join forces for the 16th consecutive year to host the Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational Wrestling Tournament Saturday, November 8 at the Special Events Recreation Center (SERC) in Brockport.

The Sooners from Oklahoma, winners of each of the first 15 tournaments, and the Golden Eagles will host The United State Military Academy (Army), The University of Buffalo, Bloomsburg University, Kent State University and Lock Haven University in the seven-team tournament starting at 10 am Saturday.

Oklahoma enters the tournament ranked #21 in the NCAA Division I preseason rankings. The Sooners finished 10th in the team standings at the 2014 NCAA Division I Championships in March while Kent State (29th), Bloomsburg (38th) and Army (50th) all finished in the Top-50.

Wrestling is set to begin at 10 am with finals expected to start at 5 pm.

Tickets for the event are $8 for adults and $4 for non-Brockport students and Senior Citizens. Brockport Faculty/Staff and Students are admitted free with proper ID.

Tickets can be purchased in advance online at www.BrockportTickets.com.

lombardo
Four Oklahoma Sooners win OCU Open Titles

2014 Oklahoma Placers at OCU Open

- 141 Noah Teaney, Freshman, Second place (unattached)
- 149 Dryden Dennis, Redshirt Junior, Second place
- 149 Jacob Rubio, Freshman,Third place (unattached)
- 165 Brock Wingbermuehle, Freshman, First place (unattached)
- 165 Nate Mateo, Junior, Second place (unattached)
- 174 Nathan Marek, Freshman, First place (unattached)
- 174 Matt Reed, Redshirt Sophomore, Second place
- 184 Joel Dixon, Freshman, First place (unattached)
- 197 Andrew Dixon, Freshman, Third place (unattached)
- 285 Zach Merrill, Senior, First place

NORMAN -- Ten members of the University of Oklahoma wrestling team placed at the OCU Open, hosted by Oklahoma City University, at the Abe Lemons arena on Sunday, including four who took tournament titles in their respective weight classes.

Freshmen Brock Wingbermuehle (165 pounds, unattached), Nathan Marek (174 pounds, unattached) and Joel Dixon (184 pounds, unattached) and senior Zach Merrill (heavyweight) all secured first place at the event.

On the day, Wingbermuehle tallied a 5-1 decision, 4:03 fall, 11-0 major decision and a 10-1 major decision en route to the 165-pound title.

Marek’s wins came via a bye, major decision (11-3), decision (13-6) and by forfeit over fellow OU teammate Matt Reed.

Dixon started the tournament with two falls, in 2:17 and 1:52, before winning by 9-3 decision to advance to the finals. There, he defeated Tyler White of Labette Community College, 4-1, in tiebreaker one to win the class.

Merrill won by technical fall (22-5), decision (6-1) and major decision (11-3) to move to the finals. Merrill then took to the mat against Ross Janney of McKendree University and finished on top with a 3:27 fall.

Noah Teaney (141 pounds, unattached), Dryden Dennis (149 pounds), Nate Mateo (165 pounds, unattached) and Reed (174 pounds) secured runner-up showings, while Jacob Rubio (149 pounds, unattached) and Andrew Dixon (197 pounds, unattached) took third place.

Also participating in the event were Sean Williams (125 pounds), Dalton Dennis (141 pounds), Jon Wayne Townsend (149 pounds), Shayne Tucker (149 pounds), Alec Iacovelli (165 pounds), Garrison McCauley (174 pounds) and Mike Brown (heavyweight). Jacob Sturges (133 pounds), Brice Inbody (165 pounds), Jared Schieber (165 pounds), Lance Dixon (184 pounds) and Rex Shotts (heavyweight) competed unattached.

The Sooners return to the mat on Saturday, Nov. 8, as they head to Brockport, N.Y., for the Brockport/Oklahoma Invitational, where they will look for their 16th straight title at the event.
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next