Favorite Moments View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Favorite Moments

omgomgomgomg
Let's get some people talking again. Share one of your favorite Section V Wrestling moments whether it's from 2014, 1974 or any other time.

mbsuxx
Frank DeAngelis winning MOW at States as a junior!

All those Spencerport teams winning UE!

Gregor Gilespie winning by 23-0 in the state final his senior year!

Ian Paddock winning all those state titles!

Bruce Hadsell. Robert Hadsell. Mike Chapelle ---- all those great teams Weldon had!

Dwight Cartwright - Keshequa

HoMi
Not from section V but, P. Kop beating Gassaway at Penfield tourny was a great match for this year. Exciting, ending with a huge flurry and breaking his opponent.

Raider92
How about the possibly the biggest upset ever at the Monroe County Championships.....Shannon O'leana from ER shocks the room and beats Sirrel Gissendanner in 1992. I think it might have been quarterfinals....possibly semi-finals. Either way it was the biggest upset I've ever seen and the entire gym came to it's feet to watch. The rest of the tournament was a buzz about it. Just proves that in one shining moment anything can happen. BTW O'Leana went on to place 1st.

mbsuxx
Did Gissendanner go on to win States that year?

wrestlingny
Tonight was a great moment at the Kenneth Haines Tournament Anthony Bell upset ALEX HERRINGSHAW the D2 State champion. Great work Anthony.

east94000
mbsuxx wrote:
Did Gissendanner go on to win States that year?

No, the next year he did.

provocateur
I'm a section 2 guy, but I can remember a few.

Andy Antonucci over Bouzakis was a stunner.

Rick Sadwick dragging a fleeing the mat Kurt Lassen back on to the mat for an OT victory.

fattywrestler316
mbsuxx wrote:

Gregor Gilespie winning by 23-0 in the state final his senior year!

Ian Paddock winning all those state titles!

That isn't possible.

Ekstrom won more.

WrestlerofthePast
fatty,

A Super Tech-Fall....Rule 7-2-2: Any wrestler who adorns a Superman shirt before a State Final match has an opportunity to earn a Super Tech-Fall by winning 23-0 (a reference to the greatest basketball player ever to play the game).

Learn the rules my friend.

fattywrestler316
My mistake. I've been out of the game for a while. Haven't seen that in a while so I forgot about that rule.

omgomgomgomg
I tried for rule 7-2-2 once, got a nice new superman shirt and everything, unfortunately I lost 23-0.

WrestlerofthePast
OMG,

Don't feel bad for taking second at states! You lost to a DIV I National Champ!

Mayo08
Couple of moments that stick out in my memory as incredible to witness, favorite matches, or wrestling-related experiences... in no particular order except the order they pop into my head.

Pat Haggerty in the 04-05 state tournament finishing with a flurry of takedowns (it's Haggerty, what did you expect me to bring up? Lol) to secure the title over South Jefferson's Justin Lister, 8-6.

Probably the one of the two most insane things I've ever seen: Geneva's Joe Smaldone at states... match goes into OT, no takedowns secured in the sv OT period. That year was the first season of the two alternating 30 second top-bottom 2OT periods before top-bottom criteria (ultimate ride out). Smaldone chose bottom in the first 30-second OT and was ridden out. Other kid chose bottom and had been escaping all match. Smaldone cut the kid loose IN OVERTIME to go down by 1 point and proceeded to take him down with about 8-10 seconds left to win by 1. Incredible match to watch. Can't say how awesome it was to see that match in person.

Probably the second most insane thing, and sorry to a good friend here lol, but 135lb semi-final at states between Bucky Hendrickson and Ian Paddock. Against what most people had expected, Bucky took it to Ian in the first two periods and built up a solid lead. Ian hurt his shoulder in the match and Bucky was on a roll. And then the last 1:30 of the third period happened. I honestly can't even remember the details of WHAT happened, I just remember that it did. It's all a blur where how it happened is less impressive than the fact that it actually happened. Ian Paddock came back, down like 5 or 6 points, and ended up winning 9-8... I'm sorry I can't explain it any better... but I've never seen a more improbable comeback, with injury (that significantly aided Ekstrom's 4th state title, as Ian wrestled the finals basically with one arm), to set up the most anticipated match/re-match in HS wrestling in my memory. Make no mistake, there was no 5pt throw that brought him back from the brink, no lucky trip or anything like that... just skill, heart, grit and wow... then Bucky dominated for 3rd. First time 3 wrestlers from the same section placed 1-2-3.

Another state tournament memory:
Former youth teammate and Section V wrestler, Anwar Goeres, beating Shoreham Wading River's Corey Jantzen (not long after I had his brother Jesse -4x champ- as a clinician at a mitch clark camp) in the semis, and then the battle with Mike McInally in the finals he won 8-1. I also remember watching Mike wrestle and being so impressed with how good he was in neutral, and wondering how much one guy's nose could bleed. I swear McInally used 3-4 minutes of blood time in at least two straight matches. A lot of respect for that guy.

05 states again: Seeing Nickerson's 5th state championship. Seeing Gregor Gillespie tech Michael Chaires (who would later beat Spencerport's Bryan Bourne for a state championship) early in the 2nd period... just put on a clinic. LeRoy's Zac Condidorio beating Lemke from Alden 4-2 in OT to go to the finals was also sweet to watch.

05 supers: Canisteo's Nick Clark tossing Bath's Justin Stewart at 189... thing looked like a suplex. Way impressive.

The Genesee Valley Tournament. Every single year. Always used to be a grind. GREAT tournament. Those brackets were more competitive than most class sectional brackets, by far. It was like seeing a preview of supers with Penfield and an occasional out of section team there mixing it up. Unfortunately it seems bracketed tournaments like that have fallen to the wayside Sad

Another personal favorite... First time sitting matside, literally, for state finals. incredible experience.

Broadway Joe's outside the arena at States, now Wolf's. Miller Light Trivia girls taking pity on us and giving us free stuff anyway, for those who were there for that remember haha. None of us knew where snow cones were invented lol. Wasn't it Japan or something? It's a shame I still don't remember lol.

Sitting with Dale Parks, Bill Stiner, Bob Blair and the late Jake Baxter at states. Also Tim Herman.

Being on the armdrag blog crew with Bucky Hendrickson and Tim Schneider in different years.

Fattywrestler316 PMing me on here to tell me who he is IRL and the friendship that has come after the fact. And several other friendships that have developed that way, actually. But Fatty was the first to start that, and that was cool.

Another memory: Bath round Robin tournament - Sean Walton slapping a cradle on Ian Paddock and the entire gym erupting similar to what you hear in states when a big upset just happened. Everyone in the stands thought he was stuck. Paddock got out and won the match.

Mike Nevinger dropping a hard fought 2-1 in state finals to Dake.
Watching Dylan Rusiniak just bulldoze everyone in the Section and how straight ahead/never let up he was.
Jason Fraser beating Craig Scott in Supers.
Luke Pariso beating Cody Hutcherson in Supers.
Some crazy matches between Tyler Sick and Kyle Ingram in youth tournaments. Always knew they'd have a battle, even back then.
Cory Robinson in youth... I may be one of few who remember him (he wrestled varsity at McQuaid for a short while) and he was the kid you looked at in youth and said "that kid's gonna tear it up at the next level." Good memories watching him wrestle when I was young.

Shamokin for the MAWA regionals and playing wall-ball when we weren't wrestling or at the hotel lol. Ohio tournament of champions and Gibby's chicken wings.

The anticipation of States every year to be reunited with the crew and watch wrestling, talk wrestling, and enjoy the greatest sport around.

^^^ just for a start Very Happy

-- Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. --

brainiac
Mayo..Bourne actually defeated Chairs for NYSC..other than that nice write up
Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next