Yanni Vs Troy Nickerson View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Yanni Vs Troy Nickerson

iamscharles
Who would win this, both at their high school prime @ 125?

mbsuxx
Yanni!

Mayo08
I didn't get to watch Nickerson a whole lot while he was in high school (older, different section, etc), but what I did see... Man. What a match up that would be.

I have to think Yianni might come out on top due to his scrambling abilities in neutral, being able to wrestle out of bad situations... But man, Nickerson was good.

Interesting question. I'm curious what some of the old-timers around here would think.

-- Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. --

goodshots
Nickerson would get a takedown in overtime for the win!

quickpick
Marty....where are you?????

the kind one
Honestly, it would be hard to say. Since Nickerson was a 125lber in college, is he matching up against 10th grade YD? If so Nickerson wins! But now, YD hands down

Mayo08
Man, the more I think about this, the more my initial gut reaction of Nickerson feels right... I think Yianni could do it, but I talked myself into Yianni and I'm sitting here still half talking myself out of it.

Nickerson won the 2002 Beast of the East tournament at 112 over Coleman Scott (who was a 5th place finisher the previous year at 119, after making the semis and losing to the eventual champion), and won 9-0 in the semis over Matt Fisk, who was the champ at 103 the previous year... Not to mention Coleman Scott would go on to be a 2008 NCAA D1 champ at 133.

He also won the 2003 Beast of the East over Jeff Schell dominantly (119lb 3rd place finisher in 2002).

^ (Both of those matches are you youtube, conveniently)

Nickerson is the devil we know. Ultra successful and dominant at the high school level and basically everywhere he went... Multiple Fargo Championships, etc... NCAA champ, 2x finalist (as a true freshman), 4x AA - all top 4 podium finishes.

Yianni's success post-high school, is the devil we won't know until he gets there.

Has anyone in Section V every went and competed at Beast of the East? I know of Kyle Ingraham (Canadaigua) who won a match or two as a lightweight in the early 2000s... don't know if he ever went again. But does anyone know of anyone else?

Ugh. Man, idk lol.

-- Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. --

techbandit
one word...YANNI..even when he was 125 lbs against a senior nickerson. Find me a 138 lber who can mess w yanni? we will see? yannis the best section v has seen.

sec4fan
Nickerson would have beaten yanni hands down, Troy is the best NYS has ever seen period. A better analogy would be could he beat a top JP or dake in there high school prime. Nickerson was top p4p wrestler never ranked below #1 in the country all his years in high school. along with multiple Fargo titles, beast of the east and actually faced the best there was to offer at the high school level. Yanni is a great wrestler and 2x world champ, different style though. There are kids in pa, cali and jersy right now that would give Yanni all he could handle or maybe beat him in folk style at his wrestling weight only. Same could not be said of Nickerson when he was in high school. But yes i am still amazed at how well yanni is doing. yanni is by far the best over all wrestler in all styles combined the nys or maybve even the counrty has ever seen at the high school level. yanni beats nickerson in greco and freestyle most likely but not folk style.

techbandit
2x world champ trumps all in my opinion. both ultra top dawgs....yanni will solidify this opinion with at least one ncaa title...likely more. but who knows, theres so many tough wrestlers everywhere. very curious to see how far yanni goes in ncaa in his first year wrestling a full D1 schedule...but i wouldnt b surprised with immediate AA status. wel see

matwatcher
As a high school wrestler, Yanni is in a class of his own. The only way to beat him now is put him against someone at a higher weight who can physically overwhelm him. He has an answer for anything thrown at him. His little brother Greg may end up being even better if that's possible.

WrestlerofthePast
Everyone settle down.....Yianni is an incredible wrestler, but how one adjusts to Division I wrestling is a completely different ballgame......I'd love to see him succeed, but as we all know, tremendous success in HS doesn't necessarily mean it will translate over to collegiate wresting. Wishing him the best of luck on his journey as he transitions to the next level!

LImarty
Troy Nickerson

was the best 119/ 125 lb NYS HS wrestler in the past 15 yrs.

but, not the BEST ever in NYS.

JMO, just the WRONG time in Wrestling History to make comparisons. Even a decomposing Ray Charles buried six feet under can see that the climate of competition has dwindled down to the best and 100 miles to the rest.

Last edited by LImarty on Nov 29, 2016; edited 3 times in total

Smoothrider
sec4fan wrote:
Nickerson would have beaten yanni hands down, Troy is the best NYS has ever seen period. A better analogy would be could he beat a top JP or dake in there high school prime. Nickerson was top p4p wrestler never ranked below #1 in the country all his years in high school. along with multiple Fargo titles, beast of the east and actually faced the best there was to offer at the high school level. Yanni is a great wrestler and 2x world champ, different style though. There are kids in pa, cali and jersy right now that would give Yanni all he could handle or maybe beat him in folk style at his wrestling weight only. Same could not be said of Nickerson when he was in high school. But yes i am still amazed at how well yanni is doing. yanni is by far the best over all wrestler in all styles combined the nys or maybve even the counrty has ever seen at the high school level. yanni beats nickerson in greco and freestyle most likely but not folk style.

Very ignorant post.. Yianni is ranked 1 right now in the country! There are no wrestlers from pa, Cali, Ohio or Jersey that would even come CLOSE to beating him he's already beaten them all! As for as Yianni and Troy goes Yianni is already much bigger then Troy Yianni wrestled 138 last and id assume he's moving up again this year.. The heaviest Troy was was 125 that being said its hard to compare them. But if both weighed the same I'd have to go with Yianni winning he's done to much already... hes a WORLD champion I don't care what style it is that's amazing and he did twice to say the least.. I see Yianni going on to college and being atleast a 4 time AA and winning atleast 2 national titles for the Big Red

LImarty
WRESTLING TODAY pales in comparison to wrestling yesterday and the day before that.
Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next