Yanni Vs Troy Nickerson View previous topic | View next topic

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Yanni Vs Troy Nickerson

LImarty
I believe JJ won the University Worlds in FS- which was NOT his best style.

JJ- His senior year (his best). He went through Senior Nationals (VA Beach) like it was an early season Holiday Tourney....EVEN WITH THIS DOMINANCE. I still would take a senior Frank Deangelis over him.

Fact is JJ's crab-ride was countered back in the '70s- by blocking the knee. In the late '90s most HS Coaches had NO IDEA on how to defend the crab-ride...LOL !!

btw- IMO- Yianni would have a very rough time with the likes of a Cory Jantzen.

Falcs96
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-wUwHHpneA

LImarty
Falcs,

THANKS. It is more TECHNICAL today !!! LMAO !!!!

132nomore
Never a easy discussion when comparing different decades
Being a LI guy and living only 10 miles from swr I am partial to JJ
With that being said you can not over look 2 simple facts
Yanni is a 2X world champ until another wrestler obtains the same feat
You need to place him in a familiar place on top of the podium

LImarty
Let us get off the Topic of Wrestling.

Triple Crown Racehorse Champions

Man-O-War

Citation

Seattle Slew

Affirmed

Secretariat

American Pharoah

all GREAT against their competition- and at the time of their championships......BUT, ALL not equal in ability.

techbandit
Falcs96 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-wUwHHpneA

awesome Jantzen video...u dont think we can put 5 mins of similar highlights together for Yanni?...and he hasnt even wrestled in college yet! very cool video though

Falcs96
The point is, comparing wrestlers from different eras is stupid, irrelevant, and settles no argument. I knew kids who got into wrestling or became more dedicated after watching Jantzen.
The best compliment you can give an athlete is that they had a positive influence on the lives of others. I've heard from people that at
VHW club, when young kids go down to cut their teeth in the sport, Yianni and Vito never hesitate to go and drill with them. You know what that means to
young kids when the stars of the sport take a personal interest in them? The measure of a wrestler goes beyond technique and strength.......it's how they pay it
forward. In the span of time we are wrestling fans, many elite stars come and go. Enjoy them all. It's why we love the sport.

(also in the video at the 2:13 mark, notice a 10-year-old Corey Jantzen)

Last edited by Falcs96 on Jan 4, 2017; edited 2 times in total

LImarty
Falc,

Im good with that - always have been.

DOUBLE EDGED sword. When we see something that is good- very good ...let us not put a ceiling on it. Where we fail is to address the imortance to aspire to achieve more and when we start using anointing words like GREAT....then we have lost focus when we are trying to create the steps to greatness.

Using Jesse Jantzen as an example- he wasnt superior in the neutral position as a frosh, soph, junior ....yet, kept working on his overall ability on the mat and off the mat. As a HS senior- he was proficient in ALL positions.. along with being .stronger, quicker, etc. These are the variables that assess future greatness.

Today, when we see a talented kid- SOME address it as being GREAT. Cant we just wait to address this.

Last edited by LImarty on Jan 4, 2017; edited 1 time in total

techbandit
great post falcs! never seen anyone do it better than yanni.

Falcs96
And this royally sucks!!!

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/50204-yianni-diakomihalis-high-school-career-is-over#.WG6enY0zUdU

krosko
Nickerson. Keep in mind all of Nickersons NCAA career he battled with a shoulder that kept popping out (eventually had surgery but to no avail) and he still accomplished what he did against the best in the country. I saw him move up at the Matt Reese tournament one year two additional weight classes to take on a 2-time Pa. state champ in the finals. Lost in a ride out in overtime. His only loss that season. He was a monster.

krosko
Secretariat.

LImarty
Actually, I saw BIG RED run -LIVE-- and- he sure could run. I also, saw Seattle Slew put away Affirmed.

If, you can REASONABLY accept that this also can relate to human competition. Then you should be able to accept- that ALL Champion wrestlers are not equal - in comparison.

techbandit
for the record marty...i dont even know what trolling is...but i was in rare agreement with you, i thought, about coaches not being able to coach tough due to these "soft times" where every kid gets a trophy BS rules. hurts the sport.

LImarty
Very simple math.

I said it...more than 13 yrs ago. "The Fields are empty"..."the streets are empty".

Wasnt too hard to deduce- Kids boasting about video game success- IPHONE separation issues and without much peer pressure involving sport. Well, the disease is rampant across the State- in every City, Town, Village...and school.

the Coach is now just - someone to blame on many levels.

trolling on the web= creating a post to get a response from an individual
Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next