Rankings View previous topic | View next topic

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Rankings

BJB7
Lawrence Jenkins 195 Lake Shore is Large.

MarineSniper
You need to look @ Jacob London from Alfred Almond who is now sporting a 34&1 record @ 285. Should turn some heads @ states and should win Sectionals as predicted.

OutsidetheROC
MarineSniper wrote:
You need to look @ Jacob London from Alfred Almond who is now sporting a 34&1 record @ 285. Should turn some heads @ states and should win Sectionals as predicted.

I agree that there are a host of heavyweights that are missing from this list, but I wonder who is predicting London to win the Class Tournament--not because he doesn't have the ability to do so--but because predicting a winner before you know who plans to wrestle 285 seems a bit premature. There are lots of terrific wrestlers in the 220 weight class this year, so many, in fact, that I wouldn't be surprised to see several of them make the post-season bump to 285. Any move of that type could shake up the mix at the 285 spot.

MarineSniper
Well, in 2014 Alfred/Almond sent a 285# wrestler who was 50&0 to the State Tournament and Took home the Gold, our 2nd A/A wrestler to do this. Not saying he's gonna WIN it but they will know he came to wrestle. He is now 35&1 after our last Dual of the Season. Pinned a monster from Arkport in the 1st period. I respect your view very much, but I am shocked that our D2 schools get NO recognition. Look for this kid he will stand above them all in height. 6'4". Thank you fr your post, you are the kind of Wrestling fanatic I like to hear from. I have been on here for a very long time. Thank you Sir for your feed back. Seriously we need positive feedback like you just posted. To many little SNOTS out there who think they are all Bad. They will MATURE In time. Actually I doubt it.

OutsidetheROC
MarineSniper wrote:
Well, in 2014 Alfred/Almond sent a 285# wrestler who was 50&0 to the State Tournament and Took home the Gold, our 2nd A/A wrestler to do this. Not saying he's gonna WIN it but they will know he came to wrestle. He is now 35&1 after our last Dual of the Season. Pinned a monster from Arkport in the 1st period. I respect your view very much, but I am shocked that our D2 schools get NO recognition. Look for this kid he will stand above them all in height. 6'4". Thank you fr your post, you are the kind of Wrestling fanatic I like to hear from. I have been on here for a very long time. Thank you Sir for your feed back. Seriously we need positive feedback like you just posted. To many little SNOTS out there who think they are all Bad. They will MATURE In time. Actually I doubt it.

I remember Connor Calkins, well--what a run he had-- classy off the mat, and a man among boys on! You are spot-on with the lack of acknowledgment for D2 wrestlers, particularly the heavyweights! When rankings do come out, they don't represent an accurate picture of the talent in Section V and leave off some truly great wrestlers in favor of kids who are easily beaten. I think this is sometimes a result of the heavyweight classes being seen as less competitive. So, when rankings are made, the top couple of guys get the nod, and then those creating the rankings, simply start looking at the brackets featuring those guys and pulling out names of their competitors to fill out the rest of the slots. Competition in 220 and 285 is building, and we should all be paying attention over the next couple of years--the days of sumo-style, headlocks are being traded for real, solid wrestling and talent. Good luck to your wrestler in the post season.

mikef272002
Guys, these are not official rankings of any sorts, It's one guy looking up 15 weight classes in an entire state in two different divisions! Lets be thankful he's even somewhat close.. He's bound to leave good kids out simply by over looking them. I'm sure he just looks at each sections top 2 or 3 ranked kids and goes from there. And from there it's pretty much any ones guess, his number 8 ranked kid may be the next state champion, who knows..

Falcs96
Keep in mind, Lotrz is also a Section 1 guy, so he is not that on top of D2 wrestling and wrestlers. I thought he made a damn good effort, and he's always open to suggestions on wrestlers he may have missed.......whom he then looks up and ranks accordingly.

MarineSniper
Thanks Outside the ROC. Appreciate good feedback. You seem to know your heavy weights, London does Wrestle much like Calkins. Coach Cook Jr,THEIR Coach likes his Heavy weights and rightly so.

lotrz
I have many sources I use and one of the best places to identify the best wrestlers in the state
are each section's web site/rankings. Who knows more about their top guys than the people in their own section Smile
It gives a good starting point, but beside going over any and all records I can find on the top guys, I still have to compare them
to all the other sections including PSAL and Catholic sections. Looking at records isn't that helpful at times either. In some sections
you can have a good wrestler run up a very nice record without facing many top tier guys, while in the bigger sections you may find
very good wrestlers with a number of loses, but are more battle tested.

I use track wrestling a lot, but I also look at as many tourney recaps as I can from any and all sources, including sec 9 web site, Lohud
newspapers(internet edition), twitter, and wrestlingnews.com. I'm always checking out the liwa, Mat slap, the Mat and other wrestling sites.
I also watch as many videos as I can. The wrestling dood at Lohud wrestling page is great for filming matches !

I did a team preseason ranking a few years back using a formula I came up with. It was done using a point system that revolved around returning weights
for each team (projected) with each weight class given a numeric value from 6 to 0 depending on last seasons results. IE 6 points for a returning state finalist,
5 points for a state placer from 3rd to 8th, 4 points for a sectional place setter ect.
Bigger schools/wrestling hotbeds were given bonus points, and if needed up to 2 points for any weight not covered by a returning wrestler.
It is a little more complicated than what I have outlined, but you get the gist Smile

PS...There will always be differences of opinion on any rankers lists. Feel free to share your opinions !
PS....Mike, I like your last post, but I disagree with the comment as close as he got. I know for a fact that my D1 picks are really close except for a number of heavyweights
who I missed, and as far as my D2 picks go, I felt comfortable enough to post them on this web site lol.

cya

OutsidetheROC
lotrz wrote:
I have many sources I use and one of the best places to identify the best wrestlers in the state
are each section's web site/rankings. Who knows more about their top guys than the people in their own section Smile
It gives a good starting point, but beside going over any and all records I can find on the top guys, I still have to compare them
to all the other sections including PSAL and Catholic sections. Looking at records isn't that helpful at times either. In some sections
you can have a good wrestler run up a very nice record without facing many top tier guys, while in the bigger sections you may find
very good wrestlers with a number of loses, but are more battle tested.

I use track wrestling a lot, but I also look at as many tourney recaps as I can from any and all sources, including sec 9 web site, Lohud
newspapers(internet edition), twitter, and wrestlingnews.com. I'm always checking out the liwa, Mat slap, the Mat and other wrestling sites.
I also watch as many videos as I can. The wrestling dood at Lohud wrestling page is great for filming matches !

I did a team preseason ranking a few years back using a formula I came up with. It was done using a point system that revolved around returning weights
for each team (projected) with each weight class given a numeric value from 6 to 0 depending on last seasons results. IE 6 points for a returning state finalist,
5 points for a state placer from 3rd to 8th, 4 points for a sectional place setter ect.
Bigger schools/wrestling hotbeds were given bonus points, and if needed up to 2 points for any weight not covered by a returning wrestler.
It is a little more complicated than what I have outlined, but you get the gist Smile

PS...There will always be differences of opinion on any rankers lists. Feel free to share your opinions !
PS....Mike, I like your last post, but I disagree with the comment as close as he got. I know for a fact that my D1 picks are really close except for a number of heavyweights
who I missed, and as far as my D2 picks go, I felt comfortable enough to post them on this web site lol.

cya

I think your state rankings are wonderful--and not a source of complaint. My issue is actually with Section V rankings--each of the other sections offer regularly-updated D1 and D2 rankings--Section V combines them, and often leaves out a wealth of tremendous talent from D2, while listing kids with less quality wins/less wins total in the honorable mention slot. Section V is the pinnacle of wrestling in NY and should recognize the talent in both division the same way that CNY Wrestling does with 3 and 4.

Oldskool
The problem is lack of volunteers to complete accurate rankings on a regular basis.

lotrz
I agree that s5 has the hardest rankings to navagate thru. Newyorkwrestlingnews and other sited that combine d2 and d2
Rankings make it difficult to wade thru a plethora of wrestlers when all you needed to see was the top 8 or so of the wrestlers your whoever may have to face in states.

Some combined rankings may also only have as little as 1-2 entries from the division you are interested in.

Cya

OutsidetheROC
New rankings are out, and again 220 and 285 are a mass of confusion. The Finger Lakes West is a small division (five teams), and yet there was apparently such a rush to snag an honorable mention from one of those teams at 220, that they grabbed a kid who has a 21-7 record with no quality wins, over a kid with a 32-3 record who has beaten the 21-7 kid three times this season by pin and torn through ranked wrestlers in Section III and Section IV. How does a kid who has made so much noise this season continue to go completely unnoticed?

If head-to-head is the top criteria at every wrestling tournament we attend, why is it a non-issue on these rankings? Let's give the big boys their due and look at 220 and 285 as closely and carefully as we do the other weight classes, and for goodness sake, take a look at the big boys in the FL West with your glasses on before creating the next set of rankings. There's an obvious omission here.

mikef272002
OutsidetheROC wrote:
New rankings are out, and again 220 and 285 are a mass of confusion. The Finger Lakes West is a small division (five teams), and yet there was apparently such a rush to snag an honorable mention from one of those teams at 220, that they grabbed a kid who has a 21-7 record with no quality wins, over a kid with a 32-3 record who has beaten the 21-7 kid three times this season by pin and torn through ranked wrestlers in Section III and Section IV. How does a kid who has made so much noise this season continue to go completely unnoticed?

If head-to-head is the top criteria at every wrestling tournament we attend, why is it a non-issue on these rankings? Let's give the big boys their due and look at 220 and 285 as closely and carefully as we do the other weight classes, and for goodness sake, take a look at the big boys in the FL West with your glasses on before creating the next set of rankings. There's an obvious omission here.

Where do you see new state rankings?

MarineSniper
Yeah, I can see how you can unintentionally miss some kids, but then again I do understand. I'm just gonna lay back, watch some Quality NYS Wrestling and what happens, ***HAPPENS***. Good Luck to all of The NYS Teams thru Sectionals, Supers and STATES. You all are special to this WRESTLING FANATIC. Oh, I will continue to watch the Rankings thru out the Year. SEMPER-FI TO ANY JAR HEADS OUT THERE ESPECIALLY THE COACHES. MARINE SNIPER, SOUTHERN TIER OF N.Y. GOD BLESS AND PROTECT OUR WRESTLERS AND COACHES.