Can today's coaches coach tough? View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Can today's coaches coach tough?

techbandit
I have seen this come up recently in various threads. In my experience as an athlete, tough coaches, or coaches who can push limits, test thresholds, challenge kids...etc, are often the best coaches. In recent years we have seen coaches like Jacutout and Ferris step down. Is this because of the threat from administration, lawsuits, parent problems in this day and age? I wonder how a coach can even demand top effort and work ethic with the way things are now. Its been made near impossible to have graduated wrestlers come back and work with high schoolers. Parents and admin can have a coach ousted so fast . This does support many of LI Martys references to a soft or pampered era. what do people think about how handcuffed high school coaches are nowadays? and how the heck are we supposed to build tough wrestlers, hockey players, football players...etc in a PC way? its really getting ridiculous...are wrestlers forced to seek tough (effective) coaching at clubs, camps,etc...they used to get that right in the wrestling room after last period until dinner time. THE SPORT IS ONLY SUFFERING from such weakness and all the coddleing. Thoughts?

LImarty
tech,

Are you trolling me ???

Of course this Society has progressively become softer. The GEEKs are now the heralded community. We should ALL disappear if we believe in eating red meat- scratching your butt- not being politically correct- looking at women as sex objects. It is ALL entwined in the same rhetoric today known as bullying. Bullying - another subject that gets in the way of logical thinking. Social media has damaged direct- in your face- SOCIALIZATION. How can we stop bullying...hmmm ??? Use to be a fist fight behind the school. What did that achieve. Well, for starters it earned respect and most times led to friendship. Friendship- the cushion that has your back. When play dates became the norm for moms- we took verbal communication away from the kids. Back in the day, you had to introduce yourself to a friend's parent (s). When you ate a sandwich - you offered a piece to your friend or you traded . I can go on.

You can blame most of this NONSENSE ...on the first Math teacher who allowed a calculator in his or her room or to the English teacher who said spelling doesnt count AND primarily to the intrusive, know-it-all Parent who redefined the approach to Parenting. Spoil your kid - never say no- be there friend instead of their supervisor....ALL the pampering needed to make them marsh mellows. So, yes....the Coach today has degenerated in spirit, in resolve, in dedication, in strength, in projecting intestinal fortitude,- of course there are exceptions to the rule. Heck, the guy doesnt know if he'll be back next year. So, the input is determined by his own problems within this society. Especially, when the school needs computers instead of a wrestling mat or when his program has no budget to sustain longevity. Add in a kid who hasnt ever wrestled. Still having to teach a "take down" at the Varsity level. AMAZING !!! The NU SKOL Coach cant refine skills for many reasons. He is still teaching basics and/or he doesnt have the patience for repetition cause his kids arent focused.

Yes, the Administrations across the Country - have decimated competition within there own buildings especially, in contact sports. Around the Country it is different in each state. A softer society makes everyone happy and makes for less law suits. Though, many believe it is important to reinvent the wheel. I choose to believe that the wheel didnt need any help and was fine left alone. Along with Bloody noses ....bloody noses build character-

Last edited by LImarty on Jan 5, 2017; edited 1 time in total

WrestlingFanNY
Todays coaches are not what they once were. Its sad, look at some of the programs and how they suffer. A few tough coaches in the area still exist but before we know it they will be gone.
In the past I have seen great coaches make below average kids great wrestlers
In the present I see poor have-assed coaches make good kids decline

Heisenberg
Kids today have way too many options. Internet, facebook, 500 TV channels, etc. Coaches today seem to have the deck stacked against them. When I wrestled in high school in the late 70s/ early 80s, strict discipline and attention to team rules seemed to be the norm for successful programs. If a kid didnt like it, he was gone. Now a days, coaches cant use the " my way or the highway" tactic. Not enough kids going out for wrestling as it is.

Oldskool
Dont blame the coaches, blame their home environment.

WrestlingFanNY
I blame smart phones
Although Coaches need to find ways to motivate kids if they want success

Oldskool
I blame all technology.

LImarty
In regards to Heisenberg's post.

Along, with the inner core that wouldnt allow you- to let your Coach or Team down...the peer pressure of performing at your best...or get hammered by your friends.

btw- If, you were an athlete in the '70s- you know the difference between joining a team and making a team. Most- went year round from one sport to the other . Giving special concentration to their best sport. Most very good athletes were proficient in "anything and everything".

The Coach today has internal Administrative problems - Social problems - and his own personal problems to have any ability as a mentor in this Sport and what once was considered him as a great coach. There are fewer each year- that can maintain an ethic that resembles a Coach from the past.

allthat
What did Rich Romeo do at the Wbester match? I see he has not been on the the matside.

takedown20
Oldskool wrote:
I blame all technology.

All of this b.s. talk we are currently doing, is because of the same technology you're complaining about.

Oldskool
Ya but im not soft.

Livinginthepast
allthat wrote:
What did Rich Romeo do at the Wbester match? I see he has not been on the the matside.
Rich is trying to figure out how to run a youth tournament in less than 12 hours.

Oldskool
Well that should be interesting.

RESHOOT
Guys, his athletes read this !
Page 1 of 1