Bills hire National Prep Champion. View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Bills hire National Prep Champion.

Sonny
McDermott is a 1993 graduate of La Salle College High School, where he was named All-Southeastern Pennsylvania at defensive back in 1992. He was also a national prep champion wrestler in both 1992 and 1993. He went on to earn a bachelor's degree in finance while at the College of William and Mary, where he was an all-conference safety (1997), and also receiving Academic all-conference honors in 1996 and 1997, and NSCA Strength and Conditioning All-America accolades.

Livinginthepast
That all should help him keep the Bills in mediocrity. Funny.

WrestlerofthePast
All that and a $1.95 should get you a cup of coffee.

Sonny
WrestlerofthePast wrote:
All that and a $1.95 should get you a cup of coffee.

You're right, I probably should have started that stupid thread that pops up every other year people who have wrestled..

wrestaddict
I actually enjoy some random trivia! Thanks for sharing! Now I like this coaching choice.

jessefeffer
A smallish walkon safety that leaves as a team captain.
A 2X national HS wrestling champion.
17 years in the NFL ranks and only 42 years old.

Seems like qualities of a disciplined thinker that has paid his dues. I have alot of respect for wrestlers of all types in terms of what they do to prepare and how the sport will demand mental toughness of its competitors with high frequency.

How well he manages/leads others is the key.

Falcs96
Another head coach with no prior NFL head coaching experience, who is a defensive guy who may struggle with the offense.

The Bills and Jets can't get out of their own way with this thought process.

The Bills biggest problem seems to be that they need brighter players. For all the complaints I've heard about Rex Ryan over the years, his defensive schemes being "too complicated" was never one of them. McDermott has his work cut out here. Buffalo needs major personnel and development help on both sides of the ball, so this is a real tough first head coaching job.

Raider92
I will put my money on an ex-wrestler anytime to get something done. He understands hard work and discipline. I am betting on Mcdermott to get the job done. Always have faith in a wrestler.

Falcs96
He needs to understand today's player. It takes more than just knowing what hard work is to coach a bunch of millionaires.
There is way more to being a head coach in the NFL than knowing what hard work is. This is a game where something as minimal as
calling a time out at the wrong time can cost you a week's worth of work. Going for it instead of taking 3 can cost you.
Penalties, misguided 2 point conversions, blown coverages, bad routes, play-calling, relationship issues with players and assistants, etc, etc.

The league is full of taskmaster coaches.........that's how most of them got here.

Heisenberg
I hope he's got some good motivational speeches to get Marcel Dareus to actually try.

Livinginthepast
Raider92 wrote:
I will put my money on an ex-wrestler anytime to get something done. He understands hard work and discipline. I am betting on Mcdermott to get the job done. Always have faith in a wrestler.
No chance for success...he's in Buffalo now. Mediocrity breeds or creates mediocrity.

Falcs96
LOL, just like the Jets. No matter how qualified or on-the-ball a coach is billed to be on the way in, he always ends up looking like
Walt Michaels on the way out!

****(For those of you who are real young, Michaels was the Jets head coach in the early 1980's who's teams were so woefully incompetent,
it left he with a permanent sideline look on his face like he just missed the last train home.)
Page 1 of 1