Alternate ever make it to the finals for States? View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Alternate ever make it to the finals for States?

WrestlerofthePast
Has an alternate ever make it to the finals of states? What has been the deepest run of an alternate? I know Wildcards have won states before (Glover), but what has been the most surprising win at States (as in 4th Wildcard winning states).

Good luck to all !

underhook1
last year Cacamise from Wayne A-3 120

132nomore
In 2012 there were five wildcard state champs,
Dylan Realbuto, McCabe, Dekrone, Bellanza, Kappatos.

Falcs96
The most impressive thing I can remember was Giovanni Sanchez of Section 11 in 2012. The kid was an A-5 at 132, and was told a day before the tournament that he was in due to a late scratch. He hops in his car, drives 4 hours, makes weight, and places 4th. I was told he was packing for a ski trip when he got the news.

nygrappler
Last year (2016) Dakota Gardener (Fredonia - VI) was upset in the Section VI finals with seconds left in the match by Zach Bierfeldt (Olean). Gardner earned the A1 due to previous state place finishes (6th, 2nd, 4th, 4th). Gardner ended up earning 2nd at states in 2016 while Bierfeldt finished 4th. This was the perfect scenario for why we have wild cards. Both guys deserved to be there and finished on the podium.

RockinRam96
Alex Ekstrom (Pal-Mac) lost to Ian Paddock (Warsaw) at State Qualifiers and came back and won the State Tournament at 135 in 2009. Making him a 4 time State Champion.

WrestlerofthePast
Giovanni ---- That's an impressive story!

LImarty
I think he meant "alternates"- not wildcards.

I think Devon Brown (Sec. 4) was the first wildcard State Champ

WrestlerofthePast
Giovanni lost to Dierna for Fourth, 1-0.

http://longislandwrestling.org/liwa/hs/brackets/2012_NYSPHSAA_Division1.pdf

Falcs96
"I think Devon Brown (Sec. 4) was the first wildcard State Champ"

I remember that finals match. He was losing to Dutton, then pinned him with a cement mixer.
And ironically, in that same tournament, Lance Wade (A-4 WC) won the state title at 152.
Wade placed 3rd in the Section 11 tournament 2 weeks earlier.

LImarty
CORRECT

.....now, I dont get any credit for pounding the "multiple" reps to the State Tourney. I was on every website-also, speaking to my coaching friends in Sec. 4/ Sec. 5/ Sec. 2...for the votes.

AND...wouldnt you know it- WILDCARDs were installed...LOL. Your welcome Devon -Lance !!!

(though, I wanted the TOP 3- to go but, small school won out)

PTobes
Hoosick Falls' Jeremy Burns was state runner-up in Division II at 189 pounds in 2009 state finals. Burns was a two-time at-large qualifier for states. He was third in the state as an at-large in 2008.

backsuplex
RJ Sharp Red Creek 2009 A1 wild card
2nd at Sectionals
2nd at Supers
State Champ

Each week coming back and beating the opponent from the previous week