NYS Tournament View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
NYS Tournament

Oldguy75
I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all the Section V wrestlers on their performance at the NYS Tournament. I write this not just based on results, but for conduct as well. I was mostly on the Division 1 side so I will speak to that. Every wrestler I saw conducted themselves like a true gentlemen, whether they won or lost. Even though there were some great wins and disappointing losses, I did not see any showboating, excessive celebrations or fits of anger from our local boys. Unfortunately, this cannot be said of some wrestlers from other sections. Not only did these young men proudly represent their section, but they also represented their school, their families and their upbringing.
Now on to results: Outstanding job by all the finalists and placers! I believe that most expectations were exceeded. 7 finalists (8 if Yianni were healthy) and 2nd in team score, is an incredible, well deserved accomplishment.
106 - Anders with phenomenal semi-final win showing tremendous determination and ability, but unfortunately ran into a very tough finals match.
113 - I believe Greg D. was dominant in his match, but I also believe many may have underestimated Justin’s ability to keep it close. Just because people say that “you’re supposed to win it”, does not take away from a great accomplishment. Both exceptional wrestlers with bright futures.
126 - Fantastic job by Hertel, what a motor! Winning a huge quarter-final match vs. Tepperman, who if healthy, would have been the number 1 seed. Then beating a very tough wrestler in the semis. Excellent finals match, which could have gone either way.
132 – On a previous thread, someone commented that Venosa had the best chance of beating Teemer and they were correct. Venosa dominated his way to the final, not big scores, but nobody was close to scoring on him. Those “in the know” were saying that this would be a 1 or 2 pointer either way, and they were also right. Great fortitude by Venosa! Always moving forward and in on several singles that could have won the match, but an outstanding wrestler prevented him from finishing.
145 – Another dominant wrestler. Frankie was Frankie and worked with the same fervor as always. Always moving and not permitting his opponent to keep up. Nullified Shanahan’s Greco/sweeping abilities.
182 – Deprez is just a man amongst boys. What a dominant tournament! I know he was “expected to walk through”, but again, let us not diminish this great accomplishment just because he is that much better than the competition.
285 – I believe the younger generation would refer to William as “a beast”. What a pleasure to see a heavyweight with a vast array of shots, who not only takes them, but finishes them also. Great job beating a bigger, agile opponent.
I apologize for being long-winded, but I wanted to recognize all the Section V wrestlers and particularly the finalists.

LImarty
OldGuy,

Nice post.... I think WE as fans forget the troubled times we live in especially, now in this materialistic society when the economy is struggling and drugs are an epidemic throughout the state. Glad these kids have the courage to walk through those Wrestling Room doors. When so many around them are lost-

I think it is fair to say...that the Sections who produce annually continue to produce. Where I think the State has a problem is there are areas that aren't performing as well as they use to.

Looking at the Sectional performances - Section V, XI, VIII, I- at the DI level continue to have competitive wrestlers- Other Sections are spotty at best. Section III again performed admirably in DII...as well as V, XI (Mattituck HS).

BUT, with this being said. I do not see the LEVEL CHANGE at the next level. So, it is either in the pupil or in the teacher...or both. PA / Ohio/ Cali / Iowa seem to have the market at the next level. I ask WHY ???

Great job to ALL the wrestlers. NO LOSERs.

Heisenberg
I watched mainly Sec. 6 D1 all weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by our showing. I knew going in our chance for a state champ was slim. That said , I thought our boys wrestled tough.
Justin Mcdougald definitely has taken his game to the next level. He dominated his first 3 matches vs some quality opponents. Greg D. definitely controlled the final, but to get it to 8-5 with less than a minute gave us some hope.
All the guys who placed made it through the gauntlet. Cicco looked tough while taking 3rd. Willie and Warren Mcd should look to be on the podium the next 2 years. Smeader , Andreesen both had great tournaments.
I didnt watch much D2 but switched ends to watch Laith in the semis and finals. Congrats to the Lewport big man.

Most exciting though, IMO, were the D1 195 and 220 finals. Talk about fantastic finishes.

Falcs96
"126 - Fantastic job by Hertel, what a motor! Winning a huge quarter-final match vs. Tepperman, who if healthy, would have been the number 1 seed. Then beating a very tough wrestler in the semis. Excellent finals match, which could have gone either way."

Hertel was fantastic. I saw all his matches. Those 1-0 wins consisted of extremely smart wrestling. I thought the finals match was a clinic by both wrestlers on defending shots. If Hertal gets a 2nd period point that match may have turned out differently, but in Vines that was one of the best top-position riding jobs I've seen from a HS wrestler in a while. Just from start to finish I loved this match, and I'm sure any coach watching was impressed by the flow of the match and determination of both wrestlers. If I'm not mistaken, didn't these two go to OT at Eastern States?

I would also throw Chris Barker in there at 160. That kid is tough as crap! Took Grant Cuomo to OT. Disappointing loss, then dusted himself off and gutted his way to 4th. The Greg D's, Frankie's and DePrez's always have a huge impact, but it's the kids like Barker who keep sections hovering around the top!

Livinginthepast
Best part of watching guys like Frankie, Greg D., Hertel, Louie, and others is that they have committed themselves to being great and they are always moving and trying to score and win their matches., and get better. I've watched a grinder like Hertel for years and he is always in good position, is in every match, and seems to get the most out of his talent. Very similar to the Barker kid that Falcs mentioned. Always in good position, always in every match, and will win the tough matches as proven at the states this past weekend. Showed his grit against some tough Section XI wrestlers and almost had the upset of the tournament against Cuomo. I have to think Barker will not just be a name on a website anymore for the downstate wrestlers. Let's not forget Venosa, doing what he does best; staying in a big match and almost coming through with a title. Hats off to Mike for a great career!

Falcs96
If Cuomo, Barker, and Loew are in the same weight class next year, that alone will be worth the price of admission. Hey, while were at it, let's throw Grippi in there too!!!

Heisenberg
Are 2018 states in Albany again?

Falcs96
I'd love to keep them there. It's a great venue, with comfortable seating.

Raider92
Time to move the states around. Albany has had them long enough. Let's give other communities a shot to host. They were in Rochester 8-10 years ago and it was great. They were in Syracuse for years and they did a great job. Albany has had it enough recently. Let's give someone else a chance.

Falcs96
Albany is centrally located. The furthest anyone in the State drives to Albany is about 4 hours TOPS!
Other venues have been tried (Syracuse, Rochester, Nassau Colliseum, etc) and they have proven to not be an ideal
situation for everyone involved.

The last thing this sport needs to do is change something that's working well. They should be more focused on where and when the state dual tournament is going to be next year, because that definitely sounds like a tricky situation unless they resolve it well ahead of time.

Raider92
States was in Syracuse for 30 years starting in 1974 and moving for the first time in 2004 to Buffalo. Syracuse did a great job for a very long time. 2004 Buffalo, 2005 Albany, 2006 Long Island (Uniondale), 2007 Albany, 2008 Rochester and I believe it has been in Albany ever since. It is time to move it, other cities/sections deserve the opportunity to reap the economic benefit of hosting a state championship and also be given the opportunity to show their area youth what a state championship is all about. Not everyone can travel to Albany every year and pay hotel fees. You grow things by moving it around so more and more people can be exposed to it. The NCAA just saw a huge increase in viewership by taking their Championships to Madison Square Garden two years ago....they move it around in hopes of growing the product. Albany has had enough years in a row.

Also they need to get away from Time Warner for showing the states. It needs to be streamed by track or flow......more viewers.....more growth. Doing business in the same old way makes things stagnate, it does not grow it.

To date SRC Arena, Onondaga CC--SERC at Brockport--Times Union Center, Albany have submitted bids to host the Dual Meet Championships form 2018-2020. Key word is BIDS.....it is about who will make the most money for the NYSPHSAA not who will do the best job or what will grow the sport the most. My bet would be on Albany getting it. I also am betting that it will be about as successful as the dual meet championships have been in college.

subway101
Raider92 wrote:
States was in Syracuse for 30 years starting in 1974 and moving for the first time in 2004 to Buffalo. Syracuse did a great job for a very long time. 2004 Buffalo, 2005 Albany, 2006 Long Island (Uniondale), 2007 Albany, 2008 Rochester and I believe it has been in Albany ever since. It is time to move it, other cities/sections deserve the opportunity to reap the economic benefit of hosting a state championship and also be given the opportunity to show their area youth what a state championship is all about. Not everyone can travel to Albany every year and pay hotel fees. You grow things by moving it around so more and more people can be exposed to it. The NCAA just saw a huge increase in viewership by taking their Championships to Madison Square Garden two years ago....they move it around in hopes of growing the product. Albany has had enough years in a row.

Also they need to get away from Time Warner for showing the states. It needs to be streamed by track or flow......more viewers.....more growth. Doing business in the same old way makes things stagnate, it does not grow it.

To date SRC Arena, Onondaga CC--SERC at Brockport--Times Union Center, Albany have submitted bids to host the Dual Meet Championships form 2018-2020. Key word is BIDS.....it is about who will make the most money for the NYSPHSAA not who will do the best job or what will grow the sport the most. My bet would be on Albany getting it. I also am betting that it will be about as successful as the dual meet championships have been in college.

Problem is they don't want to change it. The guys getting their pockets lined will continue to do so because it is right in their backyard. They don't want to grow the sport, or care about the kids. It's about the almighty dollar at that level. $6 soda, $8 hot dog, etc. etc. etc.

Heisenberg
I'd like to see it perhaps rotate once around the state, Buffalo, Rochester , Sect. 8 and 11. Then back in Albany for 4 years. I will have to admit though, The Times Union center is great, centrally located site. Parking was a little chaotic on Friday, but nothing that would make me stay away.

Raider92
If we want to be truly centrally located it would move back to Syracuse.....in the Central, NY Region...if you live in Buffalo, Fredonia, or Jamestown I don't think you find Albany Centrally located and it is not 4 hours away. I also understand Long Island it not 4 hours from Syracuse. That is why we should move it around. I would have loved to been to the states in Uniondale, bringing out all the Long Island crazed wrestling fans; I am sure it was a great atmosphere. Move it around.....you can charge $8 for a hot dog anywhere.

Next year States is back in Albany and then there could be a change as no locations are currently selected.

Future Dates:
2017-18 2/23-2/24 Times Union Center
2018-19 2/22-2/23 TBA
2019-20 2/28-2/29 TBA
2020-21 2/26-2/27 TBA
2021-22 2/25-2/26 TBA
2022-23 2/24-2/25 TBA

Falcs96
Okay, you've convinced me.......I see your points. For promotional value, you're right about that.
But I have enjoyed going to Albany, even thought it's a 3.5 hour drive. At this point, I now know exactly which hotel
to book, and where I'm going to park and eat ahead of time. I've got it down to a science.
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next