Brockport youth duals added a little for heavy weights View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Brockport youth duals added a little for heavy weights

Cradlemaster
If you want the sport to grow you need more dual meets/tournaments like this. The school base teams make it more interesting for kids not in all star clubs. It's competitive at their level. Many kids are deterred from going to most tournaments and dual tournaments because all the all star teams are there. The all star teams have plenty to go to in off season. The "jv" level kids or not all star level kids don't have anything they could have a chance at really except these duals. There needs to be more school based duals period if you want the sport to grow.

piper1
Exactly right, throw in some exhibition matches here and there, and the kids love it. It really brings the school clubs together. Most teams have their all stars, but this gives the new guys, and kids working on their craft to be a part of things too. We ran one earlier in the season at our school, and it went great. Like reptile guy said its a good bonding experience for the school teams. It's a win, win.

WrestlingFanNY
My only point was 12 teams x $400.00= $4800.00 vs 6 teams x $400.00=$2400
I was not crying about the competition....

thereptileguys
With our Coach or program it's not about the money. We have our individual sat. Plus what we get Sunday is bonus. Again it's about the fringe wrestler keeping him or her interested. Not going out against Allstars at every weight. We will see u at April fools duals and G2 Nationals for that.

Last edited by thereptileguys on Mar 24, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Raider92
Canisteo is an All-Star Team made up of towns all over the southern tier......not a town based team. So why are they allowed to enter that team. It's a great club, great coaches and they are fun to watch. But your tournament is town based and they are not town based.

Rules for this tournament say ****Wrestlers must be enrolled in school district of team they wrestle for****. How is this verified?

firemenj
I am really dissapointed to see people attacking and trying to call out this tournament. It is not a money grab. Coach Schickler is very careful letting teams in and communicating to the coaches that it needs to be town-based teams. Hilton has been coming to it for four years now and it is one of the highlights of our season. Canisteo uses their Canisteo kids. Yeah, they have a lot of studs, but there kids go on to wrestle for Canisteo. I remember Bradley Cheek being at the tournament a couple years ago. There needs to be more team based tournaments like this. We need the team aspect to grow more wrestlers. All stars don't help the sport. All star clubs aren't growing the sport, just their own wrestlers. Tournaments like this do. Tournaments like this and the sense of team accomplishment keep kids interested and going and those are the kids that fill out lineups in high school. Why are we having more forfeits in high school? Becasue we are not keeping kids transitioning from level to level. Recruitment actually isn't wrestling's problem, retention is. Enough come out for the sport in youth and modified to fill out lineups, but if all they do is get their asses handed to them all the time they lose interest. To suggest that this tournament should shift away from town-based clubs or that this tournament is a money grab or anything else is just shameful. I have all the respect in the world for Brockport for putting this on and am very glad that they do so. And we're Hilton. We hate Brockport lol.

firemenj
And I am not trying to bash great all-star clubs like G2 and Team X (Hilton has obviously been a major beneficiary of G2's training lol), the all star clubs are awesome for the kids that are ready to take their training and pursuit of greatness in the sport to the next level, and the commitment those kids show to their craft at such a young age is incredible. But we need more than just all-stars, and we owe it to the kids who show interest in the greatest of sports to adequately provide every single one of them the opportunity to fall in love with the sport like the rest of us have.

thereptileguys
Raider really you were just posting how you guys won the grywl league , but only had cpl kids that wanted to do. Our rules are only and I mean only kids from your school can wtestle. Yes hornell is now practicing at canisteo those kids will not be there. We all wrestle and see each other so you know who goes where. If they really want to cheat well maybe they could. But if you knew the coaches from there you would know they wouldn't.

Raider92
I think this is a great tournament. We have gone the last 3 years and loved it. We jut are not able to attend this year. Was just stating the Caniseteo group is an All-Star team....it's a compliment to their success.

Good luck with your tournament I am sure it will be great and the kids will love it.

thereptileguys
NWAA 1st - Canisteo 2nd - Brockport 3rd - Newfane 4th - Hilton 5th - Henreitta 6th. Started 9:15 done by 3. Thank you all teams who came. Thoughts and Prayers to the wrestler from Hilton who broke his wrist or arm .

Dgraham
I heard that Canisteo took second and their coaches only used district kids district kids from Canisteo are some of the best wrestlers in the state as they prove everywhere including Nyway states and their youth wrestlers from the distric have gone on to the varsity level and proven how powerful a program they have. They don't recruit, wrestlers from all over the southern tier come there to learn from the best. They don't turn kids away who want to excel . Canisteo also does not shy away from all star team tourneys. They embrace wrestling against the best which only makes their kids better. If some people think only winning make a good wrestler stay away from all star competition and I will continue to watch Canisteo wrestling produce section five champions and state reps.....sorry for rant.

Caelknows
Congrats to canisteo! I am quite impressed with what Canisteo and their coaches have done. Nyyouthwrestling took notice as well. They offer a chance for kids from their area to get together with like minded motivated athletes. However, your meandering post is hard to follow and borderline boastful. Pretty sure they followed the rules of the tournament which is what all the others did as well. I'd be careful to recognize the efforts of the other clubs who entered as well. I'm pretty sure their coaching staffs are all good with letting the kids achievements speak for themselves.
Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2