Nostalgia View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Nostalgia

takedown20
To start this, I hate the guys who say "back in my day" and think that the quality of competition was magically at its pinnacle the same exact year that fugazzi tough guy graduated high school. I in no way will say that the quality of wrestlers has gone down, I just won't. Although just from an observation it seems numbers have gone way down. That type of stat you can grab on to, it is tangible evidence. Quality on the other hand is different to each person. But I'm not here to talk about that, I want to talk about what this thread once meant to me.

Let's just rewind to nine years ago real quick: November 14th, 2008. Maybe some of you can still remember, I know I can. I used to refresh the page to this thread 30 plus times a day. Now I may come on once every two weeks to see the same stale conversations about wrestling practices at some place that's too far away. There's no substance on this anymore. People used to get very emotionally involved here. We would make predictions about big tournaments and then moderators would have to lock threads when they got out of hand.

I just want to know what happened. This thread was bigger than anything in section five sports nine years ago. And that just isn't an assumption it's just a fact.... put it up against any sport, this thread right here "Section V Mattalk" had more action than basketball, baseball and football combined. Those of you who weren't able to experience what this thread once was less than a decade ago I feel sorry for you. It really was a great time in section V wrestling.

Here we are only a few short weeks before first matches and there is absolutely nothing on here.

A great example of what message I'm trying to get across is that I just spent all this time making this post and no one will respond. All the "good ole boys" on here have moved on..... If you ever get bored some day just going back on pages from 2007-2011 to see what I'm talking about.

indianpride01
I couldn't agree more. Armdrag is easily still the best high school sports related website in NYS. BUT the forum discussion by the section V wrestling community is not even close to what it used to be.

FYI I never thought in a million years I would miss Billy Wombat but man do I miss those days.

choppy
Ok lets get into it section 6 early rankings top three in each weight go

takedown20
indianpride01 wrote:
I couldn't agree more. Armdrag is easily still the best high school sports related website in NYS. BUT the forum discussion by the section V wrestling community is not even close to what it used to be.

FYI I never thought in a million years I would miss Billy Wombat but man do I miss those days.

He made this site. For the good and for the bad. I miss him too, so funny!

HighC
Are you referring to all the Tom Foolery perpetrated by Billy Wombat, ex. Spider Monkey.  

Or are you referring to his attacks on individual wrestlers,   one family in particular.  Or his blatant put downs of any poster that actually knew more about the sport. 

It was the former that led me to seek his demise.  I fought fire with fire 

Takedown20/newschoolranger/Wombat just give it a break and let it heal without your aggitation. 

And Dan, posting at 24/7 at work isn't a good idea.  I am sure the school district monitor's their teachers now.

takedown20
HighC wrote:
Are you referring to all the Tom Foolery perpetrated by Billy Wombat, ex. Spider Monkey.  

Or are you referring to his attacks on individual wrestlers,   one family in particular.  Or his blatant put downs of any poster that actually knew more about the sport. 

Takedown20/newschoolranger/Wombat just give it a break and let it heal without your aggitation. 

And Dan, posting at 24/7 at work isn't a good idea.  I am sure the school district monitor's their teachers now.

Doesn't change the fact that this thread is a ghost town compared to what it once was.

legsin
HighC wrote:

Let me make this brief and to the point as possible. I am no longer on this forum. I will never be back on this forum. It was a very dark time for me when I was on this forum. High C is right on all claims; except the Takedown20 claim. That's not me.

If a moderator is reading this, please delete this thread and any future threads that mention "wombat" or any associates.

In closing, good luck to any and all involved in this sport or any scholastic pursuit.

jessefeffer
This is true. Section VI had a nice forum that was started by (Ken?) Bruce. There was plenty of interesting discussion about a sport that gets very little regional media coverage but that suffered a very quick demise when he transferred ownership. Section V is producing some of the best wrestlers in the country. You would think that would spike interest some but not so. Maybe part of it is because Spencerport is not top dog right now. That always seemed to be a good catalyst for starting threads as they and their reputation seemed to provoke some passionate opnions.

I think the declining numbers along with the fusion of school programs has muted some of the passion. I saw that Attica/Batavia's merged team was denied. They were the best DII section V dual team last year but neither seems likely to be very good on their own this year. A dual meet with 4-7 forfeits and matches that are not near competitive does nothing for the sport. I wonder if this decision was based on this year's reality or last year's events. But, no discussion on this decision either pro or con.

The NYS dual championships begin this year. One might think that would provoke some interest. I sense that Falconer/CV from section VI thinks they have a shot at the DII championship. They have 53 kids on their roster maybe because the kids want to be part of something big. Pioneer will be good again. Their numbers are in the mid 30's. Does section V have any contenders? Warsaw or Midlakes bouncing back? Many of these programs have been producing great individual wrestlers but not great teams. Maybe more mergers are needed and not less.

I suspect I'll be hearing crickets chirping after I click on "submit."

BJB7
Great job Jesse. The sectional championship should be fun this year. What are your early predictions large & small for each section?

jessefeffer
First of all, I see Lancaster is host to the duals championships. Your fieldhouse is a great venue for this or at least should be. I saw a great dual there years ago between Southwestern and Niagara Falls in a duals tournament and it allowed easy access to wander to different matches as the need arose. The bleachers weren't much then but maybe that has changed now. May not be much roaming around allowed now.

As for the contenders, I will do some research and get back to you on the favorites. Odd year in DI last year in that most teams should be better this year. Not much net graduation loss except maybe for Lockport. Pioneer and Falconer should be the top two again in DII. I'd have to put some lineup guesses together.

Heisenberg
Section 6 large will probably be the usual 4, NW and Lockport from the NFL and Lancaster and Clarence from the ECIC. Throw in a solid Grand Island team and who knows who will win. I know NW lost 3 starters in the upper weights from last year. Any one know about the other teams mentioned?

Old School Ranger
I've been surprised at the lack of traffic. By now, I'd think that there would be more going on that is discussed here. I don't believe that 'my team is the best, ever!' but I do like to see the comments mixing current competitors, and a mix of comments upon wrestlers of the past. There were some 'spirited' back & forth debates, in years-past, and where is our favorite Long Island commentator? I had fun reading the posts, years-ago, there were vehement opinions expressed, reminiscent of Chevy Chase speaking to Jane Curtain on the first season of Saturday Night Live ("Jane, you ignorant slut!"). You need-not agree with the writer, because how dull it would be then! Just enjoy the back & forth.

BJB7
jessefeffer wrote:
First of all, I see Lancaster is host to the duals championships. Your fieldhouse is a great venue for this or at least should be. I saw a great dual there years ago between Southwestern and Niagara Falls in a duals tournament and it allowed easy access to wander to different matches as the need arose. The bleachers weren't much then but maybe that has changed now. May not be much roaming around allowed now.

As for the contenders, I will do some research and get back to you on the favorites. Odd year in DI last year in that most teams should be better this year. Not much net graduation loss except maybe for Lockport. Pioneer and Falconer should be the top two again in DII. I'd have to put some lineup guesses together.

We rent a large set of bleachers where you can see mats 1-4 pretty well and place small sets on all the other mats.

BJB7
Heisenberg wrote:
Section 6 large will probably be the usual 4, NW and Lockport from the NFL and Lancaster and Clarence from the ECIC. Throw in a solid Grand Island team and who knows who will win. I know NW lost 3 starters in the upper weights from last year. Any one know about the other teams mentioned?

Lancaster returns State Placer Joe Andreessen and State Reps Parker Rozler & Ryan Stencel and A5 Jake Harry along with two other section placers.

Clarence will be tough as usual as Coach Chase & Lamb do a great job with that program and they will have State Rep Aidan Rabideau, section placers Anthony Corigliano, Andy Burden and Joe Mannarino back.

Lockport lost a lot but let's see what new Coach Bill Morello can do with his young team but they do return section placers Josh Rolon & Steven Daskavitz.

NW won the section last year as they wrestled a great tournament Coach Sweney will have those boys ready as they are anchored by brothers and State Placers Justin & Warren Mcdougald along with section placers Josh Thiebault, Jake Dewolf, Austin Leber, Mike Ziegler.

Grand Island should give NW & whoever comes out of the ECIC a lot of trouble as they return a lot of section placers starting with section finalist Danny Emblidge and additional placers Mark Nicoletti, Adam Daghestani, Jaquan Johnson, & Seth Jackson.

jessefeffer
Section VI had one state qualifier in what is the fka Ralph Wilson Fieldhouse. I thought it worked well there from a spectator's viewpoint. Lancaster's could function in much the same way, but, to my knowledge, this will be the first time it will be used for a sectional wrestling event. I find it curious as to why it was never used before. It is one of the best high school owned, multiuse indoor sports facilities in WNY (and maybe the entire state) and we all know Section VI is all about saving some bucks on venue arrangements.
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next