Section 6 teams View previous topic | View next topic

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Section 6 teams

jessefeffer
The countdown to the section VI Dual Championships is on. It's six days away as I post this. The event is held at Lancaster's fieldhouse this year and is likely to feature several rematches of close duals held earlier this season. Teams are seven or eight weeks into their schedules and odds are slight that any team can still be the same. Last year's event at Starpoint, which I missed, had many tight matches and was the kind of showcase that the sport has rarely seen.

"“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”

Heisenberg
1ST time Lancaster beat GI, Andreessen went up to 285. Could he still make the jump if he weighs in at 195? I’m anticipating another Lanc. vs GI final, should be a good one.
As soon as someone has the teams and scheduled times, please post.

jessefeffer
Heisenberg wrote:
1ST time Lancaster beat GI, Andreessen went up to 285. Could he still make the jump if he weighs in at 195? I’m anticipating another Lanc. vs GI final, should be a good one.
As soon as someone has the teams and scheduled times, please post.

I'd think that's a good question. Lancaster got wins at 220 and 285 the first time. Johnson has one weigh in at 220 on his record. I'd think GI would want a Johnson vs. Gaca matchup. Also, Emblidge was not in their lineup the first time which GI should think can make a difference this time.

I am also curious about the size/kind of crowd this may draw. Each team can declare 25 to their roster for the event. Lancaster is a great choice for the host venue.

Heisenberg
I thought seating was a little rough for class tournament last year in the fieldhouse. No walkway steps in the metal bleachers, you had to climb between people. More bleachers would help.

madmami
Lancaster is terrible for a venue for wrestling, it's Always FREEZING never any heat. Horrible parking and seating especially for anyone who are handicap. But back to the heat issue, the wrestlers shouldnt be in a place that cold, always a cold draft blowing in from the vents. I mean they are wearing singlets or now short and shirt. I was very cold wearing a tee-shirt and sweater even had a blanket and still was cold . Hope there is other options, and I always wonder why it dont rotate to other schools in the section. I mean wouldn't that be more of a fair way, since I assume their booster club gets to profit off the concession stand. That would be fair...

Heisenberg
I think they are rotating it, last year I think it was at Starpoint.

jessefeffer
madmami wrote:
Lancaster is terrible for a venue for wrestling, it's Always FREEZING never any heat. Horrible parking and seating especially for anyone who are handicap. But back to the heat issue, the wrestlers shouldnt be in a place that cold, always a cold draft blowing in from the vents. I mean they are wearing singlets or now short and shirt. I was very cold wearing a tee-shirt and sweater even had a blanket and still was cold . Hope there is other options, and I always wonder why it dont rotate to other schools in the section. I mean wouldn't that be more of a fair way, since I assume their booster club gets to profit off the concession stand. That would be fair...

A post in a different thread said Lancaster would be renting additional seating for the event. Maybe that will be better suited. The temperature thing is a different issue. I did not notice a problem the only time I had been there which was 14 years ago or so. The outdoor temp is supposed to be a balmy 40+ F which may make a difference in what is observed inside. Certainly a single digit outside temp would present mor of a challenge for a heating system in a building that big.

Heisenberg
The Buffalo News had some info
Wrestling starts at 10 am, finals at 4pm

D1 in seeded order:
Lancaster
GI
Clarence
NW
Hamburg
Will S
Lockport
Frontier

D2

Olean
Pioneer
Iroquois
Falconer
Newfane
Akron/Alden
Albion
Randolph

jessefeffer
Heisenberg wrote:
The Buffalo News had some info
Wrestling starts at 10 am, finals at 4pm

D1 in seeded order:
Lancaster
GI
Clarence
NW
Hamburg
Will S
Lockport
Frontier

D2

Olean
Pioneer
Iroquois
Falconer
Newfane
Akron/Alden
Albion
Randolph

Small school seeds are surprising. Olean may be undefeated but the two best teams that they wrestled outside of CCAC I are probably Randolph (@ the Sprigville Duals) and Bolivar/Richburg (at their tourney.) I would not have thought that would be enough to get the #1 seed. They do not wrestle Falconer in their league match until 1/24. Of these 4 common opponents: Randolph, Sweet Home, Gowanda, and Fredonia, Falconer's margins of victory were by 16 ,22, 36 and 25 points more than Olean's.

All this is to say that this seeding benefits Falconer the most and gives them a better chance to meet the Iroquois/Pioneer winner in the finals, which is most likely to be Pioneer.

madmami
jessefeffer wrote:
madmami wrote:

A post in a different thread said Lancaster would be renting additional seating for the event. Maybe that will be better suited. The temperature thing is a different issue. I did not notice a problem the only time I had been there which was 14 years ago or so. The outdoor temp is supposed to be a balmy 40+ F which may make a difference in what is observed inside. Certainly a single digit outside temp would present mor of a challenge for a heating system in a building that big.

Even if they rent seating, it will still be just a tad warner then the current temp outside that day. The past 5 years I been going there for class tournament, it has been FREEZING.. still not Adequate for wrestlers. And the head of section 6 should be looking at this as a issue, and rotating it. Yes last year they did hold the team duals championship at star point, but for the past few years class has been held at Lancaster and Sectionals did rotate to NT..I was SUPRISED to see that 1 tournament get switched from Lake Shore. Unless I am wrong, I believe Class will still be at Lancaster.. wondering why it has not changed in all these years so far

cuchi1970
Class AA will be at Kenmore West
Class A will be at Sweet Home
Class B will be at Cheektowaga
Class C will be at Falconer
Class D will be at Portville

Heisenberg
Lakeshore has a nice set up, plenty of comfortable seating ( for a gym). You might need a sherpa to get to the top rows, but I liked it there.

BJB7
Lancaster is encouraging you to bring your own chair if you would like. The mats will be taped off but you can setup around the mat area.

Buckster1
Lakeshore is now small schools they are hosting D-2 sectionals this year.

Heisenberg
Is D1 at NT again?