Section 6 Tournament Canceled View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Section 6 Tournament Canceled

SectionSix2019
#1 seeds automatically advance. No wildcards because there is no tournament. Any ideas to prevent this in the future?

cuchi1970
Use a better seeding formula OR move the tournament to Miami, FL.

LCAAFan194
Schedule earlier in the season, left no room for a back up plan. The state tournament is next weekend, if they did a couple of weeks earlier at least that leaves some time to reschedule the event. We live in WNY, snow is always a possibility. Better planning by the powers that be.

Heisenberg
Yep, our section definitely needs to move the date to allow for bad weather. I know they probably don’t want to move it to early January ( NCCC Tournament) , which really only leaves last weekend or weekend before Xmas. Might step on some toes of other local tournaments by moving, but the current predicament indicates it has to be done.
This really sucks as a Wheatfield fan and a wrestling fan in general. I was planning on watching some good wrestling all day, but guess its reruns of Law and Order.
Good luck to Olean and Falconer. They didn’t ask to be handed anything. They put themselves in good position and this is where the chips fell.

jessefeffer
This storm was in the forecast 3 or 4 days ago. I know section IV had their duals on Tuesday. Section VI seemed to make this much more of an event by scheduling this way. I am all for big showcase events for the wrestlers but this is a real letdown. The seeding formula stinks as much this year as last. Oh well.

SectionSix2019
Rumor has it Irsael Martinez asked for an acception & it was granted. Section 6 may get wild cards after all. Stay tuned!

maddad
I dont understand why they cancel it so early the storm isn't even supposed to hit till tomorrow afternoon tomorrow night we live in Western New York people know how to drive in this weather it's not fair to all the wrestlers. If your school can't make it then they just sit out. Or took the top four and wrestling during the week that way the true winners well represent in the state one. I understand the other schools didn't ask for this but it's not fair that they got handed this

jessefeffer
SectionSix2019 wrote:
Rumor has it Irsael Martinez asked for an acception & it was granted. Section 6 may get wild cards after all. Stay tuned!

Only 1 WC in DII and 2 for DI. Maybe Pioneer can be in consideration. I bet Spencerport and a LI school get them in DI. How about scheduling a Friday tournament for the top 4 seeds as a contingency. That may not always work either but it would have worked this time.

kmaute
What about Monday there is no school, not sure why they don't do the tournament then

SectionSix2019
Bussing might not be a problem but I’m sure there would be building conflicts everywhere as it wasn’t planned for. Also I think the main reason is that the state seeding meeting is on Sunday.

My guess is this tournament goes to the NCCC weekend & that tournament move to this weekend
OR
the NCCC tournament unfortunately moves to Eastern States weekend. Lockport was traditionally this weekend but with so few wrestlers currently in the program, it would be logistically impossible to run again.

Those are really the only options in my opinion as Christmas break would be too difficult but the tournament would need to be after Christmas due to the 2-lb allowance.

Again just my opinion.

maddad
Wow heading into work. Went through Kenmore, tonawanda and
N. Tonawanda dry roads. The morons whoever make these decisions needs to get their head out of their butt. I understand safety for the kids but at least wait till the morning of the activity. If there was school today not one of those schools would be canceled. I understand some schools might have chose not to come or some of the Southern Tier might have got a little bit of snow but then those one or two teams don't participate just like any other tournament. If we were sitting here this weekend and it was the NCCC tournament it would not have been cancelled. The higher-ups blew this one and it's terrible for those seniors on some of these teams. Enjoy your day the way it looks I might have to put suntan lotion on.@waytogosection6

choppy
it should be held at nccc not a hs and spread over a week in case of issues.

jessefeffer
maddad wrote:
Wow heading into work. Went through Kenmore, tonawanda and
N. Tonawanda dry roads. The morons whoever make these decisions needs to get their head out of their butt. I understand safety for the kids but at least wait till the morning of the activity. If there was school today not one of those schools would be canceled. I understand some schools might have chose not to come or some of the Southern Tier might have got a little bit of snow but then those one or two teams don't participate just like any other tournament. If we were sitting here this weekend and it was the NCCC tournament it would not have been cancelled. The higher-ups blew this one and it's terrible for those seniors on some of these teams. Enjoy your day the way it looks I might have to put suntan lotion on.@waytogosection6

Please consider that making it there is one thing and making it back home again late this evening is another. Check the road conditions come 6 PM.

Here is my idea. Schedule the top 4 seeds for Thursday and the normal tournament for Saturday. If the weather report looks bad for Saturday 3 days out, pull the trigger for the Thursday tournament. Weather events rarely last more than 36 hours and the weather contingent venue could even be a totally different one. This avoids bumping to an earlier weekend when big, established tournaments are held. Also, having it later as they do allows teams to try to be at their best just one week shy of the state tournament and for more teams to build their resume to qualify. I much prefer section VI's approach over section V or IV. Make it a big event where many can participate and are eager to do so. The vast majority of wrestlers will never be state quality even though they bust their butts to be the best they can be. Competing in a sectional or state dual meet championship and giving their best effort for their team is a nice reward for their effort and one that was long overdue.

I remember reading of a wrestler for East Aurora that quit wrestling just before the class/state qualifier tournaments. He was pretty good and a senior too, I think. The way I remember the story is that he really did not like wrestling and the grind was weighing on him. But, he stuck with it because his team needed him and he did not want to let them down. Once it was time to wrestle for himself he no longer felt the need to continue. I think he wrestled for coach Maute at the time. Imo, the more high school wrestling is able to promote the team aspect right beside the individual one, the more kids will be willing to buy in.

Heisenberg
I was wondering if it would have been logistically possible to cut down to 4 teams and move the start time of the first match to 9 am. Finals immediately after, probably around 11:30 am. Olean would’ve beaten the worst of the weather and could’ve been home by 5 pm. Just an after thought.

jessefeffer
Heisenberg wrote:
I was wondering if it would have been logistically possible to cut down to 4 teams and move the start time of the first match to 9 am. Finals immediately after, probably around 11:30 am. Olean would’ve beaten the worst of the weather and could’ve been home by 5 pm. Just an after thought.

I like that idea too. It's better than moving to an earlier weekend, imo. And, realistically, how often would the contingency plan need to be executed? Once a decade?
Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next