I am sorry but we need to discuss officiating in Section V View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
I am sorry but we need to discuss officiating in Section V

ringworm2000
Hello Section V fans. We need to celebrate what an amazing tournament our leaders put on the last two day. Things ran perfect. And those who ran it need to be commended. But we need to discuss the officiating in Section V. we have two or three very solid officials, but beyond that it is horrible. Rules are interpreted incorrectly and there is zero continuity on how rules are being callled. I watched many matches and saw calls interpreted differently every match. It was disgusting. If you down block and your losing it’s okay, if you down block and your winning it’s stalling. Let’s have one rule. A takedown for one official is a takedown and for the next it’s not. The raines vs wersinger match was completely changed by this. Not saying Wersinger would not have still won. but Raines was jobbed out of an important takedown. And that is only one example of many. It may have cost raines a title but it cost many others advancement or placing. How are these guys held accountable. I am sorry but i and many I was around found the officiating way below average. It has to change. And rules changes might help them. Either way I think most of them failed the kids.

billywombatt
Cool

the kind one
If you don’t like the officiating then go become a official. They are always looking for new refs.

ringworm2000
I am one. And I do baseball. So now what. These guys at Sectionals are not our best officials. They are the ones who play the politics the best. So let’s discuss how poor the officiating was and not just say “be one then”

It was very bad and it was discussed by many. People are just not into posting on matburn anymore.

billywombatt
If I was a a ref and saw my peers’ opportunities in officiating, I would discuss with them personally rather than complaining to no one on a forum. Or to proactively stop “bad officiating”, wrestlers should not put it in the refs hands. Smile one love. It’s wrestling. Just enjoy.

thereptileguys
In the semis where there were 2 refs each match . Saw alot of calls by ref in charge but then when coaches protested and they would check with other ref they would switch call. Couple times were out of position but make bad call anyways , then ask other ref. Its a hard job but get to the front to look for locked hands, get down to count back points, and lastly you dont need a 5 count to look for a pin.

stormdad
Hands down the worst officiating I have seen in years. one particular ref decided two final matches by himself robbing one of the kids in them an opportunity to go to states for AA. In another final match the same guy hit a kid with 3 penalty points before an actual point was scored. and then smerked at the kids dad while walking over to congratulate the other wrestler and his family... who hired this creep?

thereptileguys
stormdad wrote:
Hands down the worst officiating I have seen in years. one particular ref decided two final matches by himself robbing one of the kids in them an opportunity to go to states for AA. In another final match the same guy hit a kid with 3 penalty points before an actual point was scored. and then smerked at the kids dad while walking over to congratulate the other wrestler and his family... who hired this creep?

what match ?

WrestlerofthePast
Officiating is an extremely hard job for any professional sport. We see countless mistakes at the professional level and they have the luxury of instant replay while these refs do not. We've seen countless controversial catches in football this year with people still not being able to agree what a catch is. We see this at the Division I level in wrestling as well.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipsKJPkf_hI&t=9m0s ---- Tough call, it happens.

Like others have alluded to.....I believe they are always looking for hard working individuals that want to put the zebra stripes on.

Good luck to all at States!

coachlaz
I officiated and was part of the WOA of Section 5 for 10 years. I've also coached a fair number of years now. The WOA is truly is an overall amazing group of gentleman. Most are receptive of discussion after a match when emotions have subsided a bit with coaches. The best ones even admit when they make mistakes. I've had my share of disagreements and had one this weekend that really stung, but at the day's end, there's things my wrestler could have done better. Just gotta eat it and move forward. Official evaluations are turned in before the post season by coaches, but then come sectionals, it seems the playing field changes in terms of stalling discretion and hyper-vigilance. Coaches and wrestlers put pressure on themselves to up their game for the post season. I know first hand that the stripes do too. The problem is that it creates a detriment to the wrestlers, and it's my belief the referees should hold to that standard all season. It's hard, they're human, but I think waiting on evaluations or an additional set of evaluations after the post season may help. This also would not work if coaches just give vengeful rankings and evaluations. An official can do 10 of your matches beautifully but we tend to only remember the ones where they screw up. It's critical that coaches and refs communicate to remedy the inconsistency between season and post season wrestling. I do believe the WOA is hurting with #s, so if it's something anyone is passionate about, they'd welcome you with open arms. Disclaimer though...it's a pretty thankless gig.

WrestlingFanNY
Unfortunately some really bad calls this weekend on both sides.
I watched live on track and watched again to see If I missed something.
A few of the calls were really dead wrong.

Oldskool
Theres not much to be done unless theres new training systems in place or a way for more qualified candidates apply. Human error occurs in all sports.

WrestlingFanNY
Oldskool wrote:
Theres not much to be done unless theres new training systems in place or a way for more qualified candidates apply. Human error occurs in all sports.

For sure , just watch the nfl

BULL80
coachlaz wrote:
I officiated and was part of the WOA of Section 5 for 10 years. I've also coached a fair number of years now. The WOA is truly is an overall amazing group of gentleman. Most are receptive of discussion after a match when emotions have subsided a bit with coaches. The best ones even admit when they make mistakes. I've had my share of disagreements and had one this weekend that really stung, but at the day's end, there's things my wrestler could have done better. Just gotta eat it and move forward. Official evaluations are turned in before the post season by coaches, but then come sectionals, it seems the playing field changes in terms of stalling discretion and hyper-vigilance. Coaches and wrestlers put pressure on themselves to up their game for the post season. I know first hand that the stripes do too. The problem is that it creates a detriment to the wrestlers, and it's my belief the referees should hold to that standard all season. It's hard, they're human, but I think waiting on evaluations or an additional set of evaluations after the post season may help. This also would not work if coaches just give vengeful rankings and evaluations. An official can do 10 of your matches beautifully but we tend to only remember the ones where they screw up. It's critical that coaches and refs communicate to remedy the inconsistency between season and post season wrestling. I do believe the WOA is hurting with #s, so if it's something anyone is passionate about, they'd welcome you with open arms. Disclaimer though...it's a pretty thankless gig.

Completely agree, watching kids trying to change the way the wrestle for the last month of the season to adjust to the officiating, if they called it the same all year we would not have as many problems in the post-season.

BJB7
Completely agree all sections need to officiate the same way it is officiated at the State Tournament. Rarely do you see stalling in the first period during the season but you will see it in Albany. All officials should call stalling in any period not just in the 3rd.
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next