Massena View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Massena

WrestlerofthePast
If I wasn't mistaken, a kid with a record of 2-9 has qualified for the NYSPHSAA Division 1 State Championship Tournament at no fault of his own. Something needs to change...

BBwrestling6616
Boy do I have a lot to say about this......

As the father of the a5 in the division 1 99 pound weight class I was shocked when they entered this wrestler into the tournament. For over a week I have been calling and emailing and struggling to understand how this can happen. I even proved to the executive directors this wrestler is not even eligible to wrestle due to his lack of events. The Wrestling program specifically states a wrestler must have a minimum of 6 contests occurring on 6 different dates and 2 day tournaments only count as 1 contest. This wrestler has 4 which does not meet the requirement. The bottom line is that the overseeing state directors will allow section 10 to enter 1 wrestler per weight class regardless of qualifications.
To be clear I have nothing against messena, they had a heavyweight state champ a few years back. However the numbers speak for themselves. In the last 2 years at the state tournament messena wrestlers are 1-13. My suggestion was to have them wrestle in. This year in division 2 they added a round to let the private schools wrestle in. Seeing that messena has no class or sectional tournament, let them make the trip but they have to wrestle in the same way ? That fell on deaf ears.
Most of your nysphsaa sectional reps agree this is crap but there hands are tied. I have spend the last week pissing more people off than I care to in a year and I don’t regret advocating for my kid. But the bottom line is you have to win to get in and my kid didn’t.
If you want to make a change email the nysphsaa public relations director joe Altieri. He doesn’t think there is a problem but I beg to differ.
Greg Bielec

BBwrestling6616
Ive never seen records posted in brackets like that before, I want to thank whomever added that

duddems
Are any section v wrestlers still sick w that flu that was passed around at supers? I think the whole tourn shouldve been postponed/moved. Its a shame that kids have to compete at that tourn w a legit flu....nobody wins that tourn with a flu.

madsb
[quote="duddems"........ I think the whole tourn shouldve been postponed/moved. Its a shame that kids have to compete at that tourn w a legit flu....nobody wins that tourn with a flu.[/quote]

Couldn't disagree with you more. Things like that happen. They just can't change the date of an event because some kids are sick. That is life and life isn't fair.

duddems
You cant handcuff a whole section when simple planning and use of alternate venue is available IMO. Its not worth the cost.
Page 1 of 1