Pick the upset(s)- NCAA DI Nationals View previous topic | View next topic

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Pick the upset(s)- NCAA DI Nationals

bigkidsdad
Martin, Nick Picininni was born in November of 1996. He could have graduated in 2014 as a young senior. His parents had the presence of mind to defer his enrollment to kindergarten for another year (same as Adam Busiello by the way, but not Jacori Teemer who is Adams age but a grade older). Anyhow holding a kid back has its advantages but states like Pennsylvania and Ohio have actually passed legislation to fix parents holding their kids back multiple years, but when you speak of someone like Spencer Lee there is much more then holding your kid back a year to mature, he is beyond talented as a wrestler, to infer as you do it has something to do with his age taints his record, he would be amazing as a younger athlete as well. Without enrolling in a prep school to repeat 12th grade, or his parents repeating 6th grade in a different school (tricks people use to gain advantage for their kids) Nick is as old as you can be without cheating. Were you inferring something different when you mentioned his name but didn't complete the sentence? You draw suspicions to your comments when you state opinion as fact, to the point that I almost feel compelled to check your statement about Spencer's age. Fortunately Spencer is so good that no one will care if he is a year older.

ringworm2000
Spencer Lee will turn 20 in October of his Sophmore year. Let’s not make him out to be the kid that was held back for wrestling reasons. Turning 19 as a freshman and 20 as a sophomore is the norm. He is not any more man than the others.

Falcs96
Who cares about any of this??? Geez, just enjoy the sport, and the kids talented and disciplined enough to participate in it at such a high level.

This thread is so painful to read.

Oldskool
LImarty wrote:
quick,

Mine is very simple. Approx. 18 yrs ago some NYS Finalists would be introduced prior to their match- and the public announcer would read their future aspirations - without mentioning names some would say that they would be attending Iowa- or other high profile wrestling establishments...and we would laugh to each other. I saw Tom Shifflet/ Hofstra recruit a kid who was a pretty good wrestler yet, he was soft as a marsh mellow. We knew this- See, I'm for all the wrestlers to achieve a degree and/or have the best chance of furthering their wrestling career- Preferably, a starting positioning at a DI institution with the chance of attaining a degree but, most fail to recognize their level of ability as wrestlers and without the focus of getting a diploma.

My thoughts have always been with the success of their future. I was a student/athlete that made a WRONG decision in choosing a University that was too academically competitive for a two sport athlete such as myself. So, I am the first to tell an athlete- of their challenges that he will face at a top athletic institution . Many find this out too late- pack their bags and they are home. Many never getting back to school and attaining a degree. Choose wisely- is very hard for a bolstered up ego of a successful 18 yr old athlete. Most parents buy into the clippings and walk around with their heads up their butt.

I watched MANY over the years- who decided by scholarship yet, never to make the Team or remain on the Team. Makes more sense to choose a Junior College or DIII - economically, emotionally, and with practicality. New York State Wrestling does not have the STRENGTH Nationally as it once did. So, even our best prospects are suspect choosing DI institutions. IMO- Most today will not do the extra to raise their game- only a select few- might. FEW being the definitive word.

So, please do not take my words out of context- understand my unique sensibility when I post. It isn't to discourage- it is to see something that others are missing. - CLARITY is one of my strongest attributes.

ps. You know Spencer Lee /Iowa (fr) is gonna turn 20 this yr. When I was a frosh- I had just turned 18. Piccininni like most NYS wrestlers in college- are a year younger as true freshmen than many others. physically immature - and most not knowing , willing, able to learn how to grow physically and then to do the "suck" unlike most journeymen wrestlers who are usually ranked in the the Top 4 in each weight. What does NATO weigh off the mat ??? How many NYS Multiple time State Champs were home in less than 2 yrs of their commitment ??? That is the real issue.

and btw. While many are concerned about "weight"....I am more focused on the inequality of age . An extra yr or two is a DEFINITE ADVANTAGE. Boy vs Man.

Didnt Piccininni red shirt?

bigkidsdad
Yes

LImarty
FACT IS ..quick called me out.

I did say - and- still stand by my post in 2015. That the majority of Multiple X NYS Champs....do not stay , start , and finish their wrestling/education at DI institutions. Most home in less than two years. So, it is apparent that their choices made for them are not well thought. I also, believed that Piccininni would have to get bigger physically to be a National Champ.

My issues on age is definitely taken out of context with my examples. Point is many worry about weight- a 1/2 lb etc. etc. when , more importantly age seems to be where inequality matters. A year or two longer on the mat is an advantage...physically.

I remember when Troy Nickerson got hammered by Joe Dubuque ....it was a 125lb boy wrestling a 125 lb man....My Piccininni comment is based solely about him being a small 125 lber compared to Tomasello who is a big 125 lber.

AGE and WEIGHT has always played a part in RESULTs....You can argue it- if, you may.

duddems
LImarty wrote:

I did say - and- still stand by my post in 2015. That the majority of Multiple X NYS Champs....do not stay , start , and finish their wrestling/education at DI institutions. Most home in less than two years. So, it is apparent that their choices made for them are not well thought. I also, believed that Piccininni would have to get bigger physically to be a National Champ.

My issues on age is definitely taken out of context with my examples. Point is many worry about weight- a 1/2 lb etc. etc. when , more importantly age seems to be where inequality matters. A year or two longer on the mat is an advantage...physically.

I remember when Troy Nickerson got hammered by Joe Dubuque ....it was a 125lb boy wrestling a 125 lb man....My Piccininni comment is based solely about him being a small 125 lber compared to Tomasello who is a big 125 lber.

AGE and WEIGHT has always played a part in RESULTs....You can argue it- if, you may.

duddems
LImarty wrote:

I dont know how big of a guy tomasello is by nature...hes heavy from being so juiced up w muscle. Not a big frame. Hes strong, positionally sound, and probly the toughest of the 125ers. That will be a great weight to watch...but 141 takes the cake!

Heisenberg
Tomasello will probably weigh 141 by Saturday night !

bigkidsdad
Nothing to argue Piccinni is about as big as he will get. Would be happier if there was still a 118 weight class

Oldskool
bigkidsdad wrote:
Nothing to argue Piccinni is about as big as he will get. Would be happier if there was still a 118 weight class

That 125 lb class is loaded! Gonna be fun to watch.

LImarty
bigkids,

WOW....!!!! I agree.

A lot of HS wrestlers would have benefited w/ 118.

AND yes, no one will want to meet the 140 lb Nathan Tomasello on Saturday. You would have to get to him -right after weigh-ins...He has shown signs of fatigue from carrying that muscle and having to make weight.

...NCAA Quarter finals has a lot of possible upsets.

bigkidsdad
In speaking of large 125lbers check out Sean Fauz. My friends son is the backup and Sean is twice his size lol. He will upset someone.

LImarty
WEIGHT CERTIFICATIONs in NYS have helped this Sport.... 00's Parents now again can live with contact sports yet, roar at food deprivation . Kids like not missing any meals. ALL GOOD. Took me time to get over this. Mainly, because I believe a wrestler can remain healthy one weight below certification. I don't want to defend my position. In general New Jersey/ PA wrestlers know how to maintain their weight and do not have to be asked or told -what to do. So, at many National events- seems like New York wrestlers are always undersized. Just an observation. I remember some NYS Champs who went on to DI - that imo would have AA'd or had better shots at becoming National Champs- if, they had learn how to cut/ committed to managing their weight. Steven Dutton comes to mind- always, thought he should have been a College 133 lber. I remember Nick Terdick wrestling at 152 lbs in VA Beach and he by far was the smallest 152 lber in the weight class.

How Lizak makes 125 lbs is a mystery. Small 125 lbers such as Suriano, Piccininni, and others have to be TECHNICALLY ON POINT- when facing wrestlers who are dramatically bigger after weigh -ins or by finals..Such as Lizak and Tomasello.

quickpick
LImarty wrote:
WEIGHT CERTIFICATIONs in NYS have helped this Sport.... 00's Parents now again can live with contact sports yet, roar at food deprivation . Kids like not missing any meals. ALL GOOD. Took me time to get over this. Mainly, because I believe a wrestler can remain healthy one weight below certification. I don't want to defend my position. In general New Jersey/ PA wrestlers know how to maintain their weight and do not have to be asked or told -what to do. So, at many National events- seems like New York wrestlers are always undersized. Just an observation. I remember some NYS Champs who went on to DI - that imo would have AA'd or had better shots at becoming National Champs- if, they had learn how to cut/ committed to managing their weight. Steven Dutton comes to mind- always, thought he should have been a College 133 lber. I remember Nick Terdick wrestling at 152 lbs in VA Beach and he by far was the smallest 152 lber in the weight class.

How Lizak makes 125 lbs is a mystery. Small 125 lbers such as Suriano, Piccininni, and others have to be TECHNICALLY ON POINT- when facing wrestlers who are dramatically bigger after weigh -ins or by finals..Such as Lizak and Tomasello.

Marty,

I "called you out" based on the fact that you asked Falcs where you had said that Piccininni was too small and would struggle at the D1 level. I don't even consider it calling you out as much as reminding you exactly what you had said. Same as your opinion on Yianni having to develop a better takedown and improve his riding to succeed (he seems to be doing just fine). I don't in anyway disagree with your opinion on weight. Many kids don't manage their weight very well and this is a struggle in college due to the fact that you don't get honor weigh-ins, no extra lbs on day 2 of a tournament, and no Christmas bonus. It's a grind and those who don't manage find their performance hurting as a result. Suriano and Piccininni are naturally small guys. Both wrestling at 126 in high school was more likely to prepare them for their college weight than not wanting/being able to get down further.
Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next