Greece Youth Wrestling View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Greece Youth Wrestling

zazusmc03
Just wondering what the best program is for a 5 year old in Greece? I'm looking to get a little guy into wrestling and would love to be a part of the volunteer coaching staff. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance! Google wasn't very helpful, I found too many dead facebook groups and that sort of thing.

Raider92
zazusmc03 wrote:
Just wondering what the best program is for a 5 year old in Greece? I'm looking to get a little guy into wrestling and would love to be a part of the volunteer coaching staff. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance! Google wasn't very helpful, I found too many dead facebook groups and that sort of thing.

Call your varsity coach and find a few dads and start a youth program. Greece has multiple high schools and yet only 1 wrestling team. This just does not make since to me....there are a lot of ex-wrestlers who live in Greece, find them wrestlers will help you. Build a program and you will have numbers. To many people live in Greece not to get numbers.

coachlaz
We were in Greece when the youth rec program folded. I think the coaches have tried to revive it, but they struggle with administrative support. Hilton took in my son and other Greece kids with no other rec program of their own. We ended up moving to Hilton. They still take in a Greece boy from a great family. If you do not succeed getting things going at the rec level in Greece and want to get him some basics next year, the guys in Hilton will take him in.

I think this is commonplace across the section. I know Brighton kids that go to Penfield, Pittsford kids that have gone to Fairport, etc. In fact, the Webster Thomas Youth program also took my son in during one of the Greece limbo years. Pretty awesome the way people look out for one another in the wrestling community.

Raider92
coachlaz wrote:
We were in Greece when the youth rec program folded. I think the coaches have tried to revive it, but they struggle with administrative support. Hilton took in my son and other Greece kids with no other rec program of their own. We ended up moving to Hilton. They still take in a Greece boy from a great family. If you do not succeed getting things going at the rec level in Greece and want to get him some basics next year, the guys in Hilton will take him in.

I think this is commonplace across the section. I know Brighton kids that go to Penfield, Pittsford kids that have gone to Fairport, etc. In fact, the Webster Thomas Youth program also took my son in during one of the Greece limbo years. Pretty awesome the way people look out for one another in the wrestling community.

Coachlaz is correct many programs will take your son in. Fairport has kids from many different towns over the years. But seriously give it a try and start a program.....I would be happy to advise you if you want any advice on how to do it. Growing our sport at the local level is where it begins. Greece is the largest community in Monroe County and I truly believe a youth program there can thrive.

Last edited by Raider92 on Mar 28, 2018; edited 1 time in total

duddems
Brockports program is well run...my son is just a beginner and he loves it...good basic instruction. I know they take jids from other towns that dont have their own programs also.

coachlaz
Raider92 wrote:
coachlaz wrote:

Coachlaz is correct many programs will take your son in. Fairport has kids from many different towns over the years. But seriously give it a try and start a program.....I would be happy to advise you if you want any advice on how to do it. Growing our sport at the local level is where it begins. Greece is the largest community in Monroe County and I truly believe a youth program there can thrive.

I don't disagree wit that, but I think the problem is multi faceted. I think that bigger districts struggle more to keep wrestling going (especially youth) when they are consolidating amongst high schools. Wrestling is a tight knit community sport. Look at teams that some small communities like Warsaw have been able to produce over the years with about 100 kids a graduating class. Numbers and lots of kids to choose from certainly attribute to success, but tradition and community bonding takes it farther. I think once you start getting too many high schools involved, you lose that tight knit feel that it takes to keep youth recreation programs going successfully. Even if Greece put together an amazing well represented youth program, a lot of kids would never make that consolidated team representing four high schools. At this point, I doubt admin would approve a budget for more teams. They are pretty stingy with sports in their budgeting. Greece had great feeders for Olympia and Athena when they had their own programs, and those programs bred more overall team success.

Oldskool
The program needs a coach in one of the buildings.

zazusmc03
Thanks of all of the good advice moving forward! This isn't my son that I'm looking to get started, it's my GF's son.
I'd be more than willing to help with a youth program, I just don't know that I have the time to dedicate to starting a program. I wrestled and graduated from Wayne, and we have always had a strong youth program because our high school coaches and wrestlers were there or coaching all of the practices. That was part of being a wrestler for Wayne, spending time coaching the youth. I posted this question assuming that a massive area like Greece would have several youth programs established. If I can find other parents on this site that are willing to dedicate 2 nights a week to coaching and establishing a program, I'd be more than happy to help. The only way these youth programs can succeed is with the direct help from the HS coaching staff. I have several years as a student athelete at Wayne coaching the youngsters, as well as coaching the JV/Varsity when Coach F came back and we won a sectional title. My passion is coaching, and although I may not have time to run a program, I most definitely would be there to get the ball rolling. If I have to get this stud 5 year old started in a different program, then so be it, BUT, I will not accept the fact that an area like Greece can't start a youth program that will not only succeed but become a dominate force in the years to come. The numbers are there, it's all about getting them in the door!

zazusmc03
I've started a facebook page in order to find coaching help as well as raising interest in the program. If you search Greece, NY Youth Wrestling, you should find my page. I will be looking to find bonafide coaches and athletes in order to make this a reality. Coaching and help is completely voluntary, but we need reliable folks to make this work! This is completely independent at the moment, but I will be reaching out to the Greece wrestling coaching staff soon in order to facilitate this program. I want to have a staff lined up, as well as a plan moving forward. Obviously we will work with the high school staff in order to prepare for the future, but we NEED a program to get our children ready!
Page 1 of 1