Section 5 team rankings - thoughts for the season. View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Section 5 team rankings - thoughts for the season.

Burkead145
1- Hilton, 2 - Rush Henrietta, 3 - Webster Schroeder/spencerport

We know what Coach Gross is returning - studs and fresh talent
Coach Marlow always has his kids ready to scrap, is returning State runnerup and 2 reps
Schroeder and Spencerport always find ways to hurt you with well rounded teams year in and out.

What do we think the rest of the division 1 top ten are? My bet is a huge falling off in section 5 this year.

Last edited by Burkead145 on Nov 6, 2018; edited 2 times in total

legattack
Hilton is absolutely loaded at the beginning of their lineup, i think Spencerport and Webster Thomas both should be good dusl meet teams and Hilton will be the best tournament team in ny

132nomore
Hilton is very good Team - probably the best one they have had as far as complete line up
Esp down low
But as far as best dual team in state
I’m sure more than a few teams will challenge them for that honor
Few Long Island teams come to mind

Massapequa
Wantagh
Rocky point
Esm

legattack
I agree the favorite for the dual champions probably comes from Long Island my guess would be masapequa but that’s just looking at the individual rankings on their site, l know they have Fulton and Hilton at the top of the rankings right now but both teams definitely have some holes and they have a dual meet scheduled for Fulton this year so that should be fun

jessefeffer
I saw some team rankings on the NYWrestling site that seemed more like tournament rankings than for duals. Are there any others available to consider? I think Hilton and Spencerport are 1/2 in section V. Look out for Niagara Wheatfield from section VI, they look to have a very strong returning roster with 4 returning state competitors and a probably enough depth to compete with the best at the state level as a dual team. Likely comes down to who put the most work in during the summer.

madmami
jessefeffer wrote:
I saw some team rankings on the NYWrestling site that seemed more like tournament rankings than for duals. Are there any others available to consider? I think Hilton and Spencerport are 1/2 in section V. Look out for Niagara Wheatfield from section VI, they look to have a very strong returning roster with 4 returning state competitors and a probably enough depth to compete with the best at the state level as a dual team. Likely comes down to who put the most work in during the summer.
We have 5 returning state qualifiers.. There are many other teams that are great across the states looking to show up and knock someone out the running, your absolutely right tho. It always boils down to who worked in the summer

jessefeffer
Official schedules aren't out but some nice potential VI/V dual matchups early in the season. Maybe NW vs. Spencerport @ Cheektowaga duals? Falconer vs. Attica/Batavia at SH Duals (are they DI or DII this year?) If they are still DII they may be the section V rep for the state tourney. Hilton vs. Pioneer at Pioneer Duals. I think the section VI DII rep will be either Olean, Pioneer or Falconer. At this point, I do not see a clear favorite among the three.

LCAAFan194
Attica/Batavia and Livonia/Way-Co have been moved up to Division 1 this year in section V

tampacuse
I'm amzed how this website has no talking anymore. I am glad to see someone is making discussion. I don't think spencerport will be that far down, my guess is 2nd or 3rd. It's hard to believe that Hilton would have there best team ever? That's saying there team is Hands Down the BEST team in the state

legattack
I don’t think they are hands down the best team in the state in fact I don’t think they will win the state dual meet championship but i do think they will win the team tournament championship in albany. Their best dual team was a few years ago that lost to long beach in union endicott

Burkead145
legattack wrote:
I don’t think they are hands down the best team in the state in fact I don’t think they will win the state dual meet championship but i do think they will win the team tournament championship in albany. Their best dual team was a few years ago that lost to long beach in union endicott

I think coach gross has put the pieces in place this year to say he’s the best ever in section 5 and closing in on NYS.

BJB7
Canisteo might be back in Syracuse they have a solid core back along with some young NYWAY studs coming up. They could represent V again in DII.

Burkead145
BJB7 wrote:
Canisteo might be back in Syracuse they have a solid core back along with some young NYWAY studs coming up. They could represent V again in DII.

Canisteo vs Hilton at the Pal Mac duals last year. Does anyone know if they will run it again this year? Or list of teams or full schedules can be found anywhere?

132nomore
Im sure other teams are attending pal/mac duals
But
According to track
Canisteo-Greenwood Sr HS, NY
Lancaster HS, NY
St Joseph Collegiate Institute, NY
Webster Thomas, NY

jessefeffer
I have a lot of respect for small schools that have great wrestling programs and the occasional outstanding team. It's tough to fill 15 weight classes and compete well against schools that have two or three X the enrollment. Maple Grove, Frewsburg and Ripley have done it in section VI over the years gone their numbers have been down. Ripley has merged their senior high with Chautauqua Lake and it's their former alumni that have been running that wrestling program with wrestlers from 3 other schools. That Canisteo-Greenwood had such a great team totally on their own last year is a testament to the importance of coaching, a strong youth program and the power of tradition. It really was a great season for them.

this year it looks like C-G has 4 or 5 state quality wrestlers returning (all Srs) but not enough returning experienced wrestlers to fill the roster adequately to compete with the best in state as a DII dual team. They might still represent V at the state dual tourney but they do not seem to have the same quality of roster as they did last year at this point. They will still be one to watch through the coming months and may prove me to be wrong.
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next