Dual Tourneys 12/07 + 12/08 View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Dual Tourneys 12/07 + 12/08

jessefeffer
Some interesting matchups coming this weekend in section VI Dual tournaments. Niagara Wheatfield vs. Spencerport at Cheektowaga is the headliner, imo. I think NW takes it. Fredonia and Pioneer at their duals will give us a good look at their lineups. Fredonia's team is improved and Pioneer's lineup lacks a few kids that were starters last year that did not return. This match should be close. Hilton goes to this tournament too, so it's always fun to see good DI vs. DII competitions.

legattack
When nw and Spencerport wrestle it would be awesome to see Mcdougle and Wersinger wrestle although they are one weight class apart

ksl66
The pioneer duals are loaded, there are about 15 current/future state placers and I count about 5 probable state champs in the field there. Absolutely loaded!

Burkead145
ksl66 wrote:
The pioneer duals are loaded, there are about 15 current/future state placers and I count about 5 probable state champs in the field there. Absolutely loaded!

What? Loaded? There’s a “B” team listed! Who are you talking about? Hilton has its share, Letchworth has Runfola, P-M Schafer, and .........? Your at 20 wrestlers and I’d bet 3 teams don’t have full lineups. Loaded? Please enlighten us.

Can someone please explain to me how the new wild card system works? I thought this change would stop the need for dual team tournaments where coaches chase wins and wrestling as a sport loses. I’d be very surprised if any of your 20 maybe,could’ve, probable state champs/placers wrestle each other at the pioneer duals.

jessefeffer
It's never very interesting to predict Goliath to beat David but I think Fredonia will beat Pioneer. Tough to really know what the lineups look like yet but Pioneer's best middleweights, Ras, Phommatha and Riordan, are pretty good but Fredonia's Wallace. Russo and Gardner are better, imo, and that will make the difference along with Fredonia's apparently much bigger roster, 34-22, and the flexibility and depth that it provides. Nice matchups at the heavy weights with Skinner/Acevedo vs. Rigerman/Smith with the advantage to Pioneer but it could be a draw. A somewhat beefed up Fredonia roster vs. a Pioneer roster with a few notable absences makes the difference.

quickpick
Burkead145 wrote:
ksl66 wrote:

What? Loaded? There’s a “B” team listed! Who are you talking about? Hilton has its share, Letchworth has Runfola, P-M Schafer, and .........? Your at 20 wrestlers and I’d bet 3 teams don’t have full lineups. Loaded? Please enlighten us.

Can someone please explain to me how the new wild card system works? I thought this change would stop the need for dual team tournaments where coaches chase wins and wrestling as a sport loses. I’d be very surprised if any of your 20 maybe,could’ve, probable state champs/placers wrestle each other at the pioneer duals.

(Wins/total matches x 100)/3

Wrestler goes 27-3 on the season (27/30 x 100)/3 = (90)/3= 30pts. Wrestlers now don't have to wrestle 40+ matches in a season. This was explained relatively late IMO and many coaches already had their tournaments planned/scheduled. I think you will see more of a change next season.

ksl66
Burkead145 wrote:
ksl66 wrote:

B team is because they had a late drop, doesn’t take anything away from the 6 other teams there with very strong lineups... , Hilton has 3 possible state champs (McNeil, diakomihalis and DePrez) and 3 other state placers (camillicci, Burgos, burns), Pal-Mac has Schaffer who is ranked 1 in the state and Ferro who is 3 time rep, rigerman is ranked 1 in the state, fredonia has Russo and Gardner, he’s a two time rep and former placer. Letchworth has chase runfola, newfane has 3 wrestlers in the state rankings.

So maybe 20 was hyperbole, I guarantee you get at least some of those kids matched up! Still a loaded field for 6 teams!

Burkead145
ksl66 wrote:
Burkead145 wrote:
ksl66 wrote:

B team is because they had a late drop, doesn’t take anything away from the 6 other teams there with very strong lineups... , Hilton has 3 possible state champs (McNeil, diakomihalis and DePrez) and 3 other state placers (camillicci, Burgos, burns), Pal-Mac has Schaffer who is ranked 1 in the state and Ferro who is 3 time rep, rigerman is ranked 1 in the state, fredonia has Russo and Gardner, he’s a two time rep and former placer. Letchworth has chase runfola, newfane has 3 wrestlers in the state rankings.

So maybe 20 was hyperbole, I guarantee you get at least some of those kids matched up! Still a loaded field for 6 teams!

LIKE. Thank you. I’ll keep an eye out for the box scores.

legattack
Didnt expect Spencerport to win by that much, anyone know of how they matched up? Haven’t seen a box score

Heisenberg
I showed up to watch NW - S port finals. Now I’m not a parent or insider, but from what i gathered, NW had a bunch of guys either injured or missing. Still dont know if they would have beat S’port with a full lineup.
Match started at 170. After J Mcd got a pin at 138 to make it 40-16, I decided to leave early. NW must have picked up 6 points in 1 of the last 3 matches.