Section 5 dual team qualifier at Hilton HS info View previous topic | View next topic

Page 4 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Section 5 dual team qualifier at Hilton HS info

the kind one
ringworm2000 wrote:
Burkead145 wrote:
Is the hition coach that good or did spencerport over think the match? Does anyone know who won the flip? I’m still trying to understand the russo, lopresti bump. I thought it would be closer than that with a ranger win by 3. I’m glad the 182 match didn’t decide the match. Good luck to Section 5 in sending both hilton and spencerport as a wild card to the NYS duals

Spencerport always tries to avoid the tough match up for it's better wrestlers whenever possible. They never seek out top level competition. If they truly wanted to challenge their wrestlers why don't they go to Eastern States....they have protected LoPresti for three years. Makes no sense, just makes them struggle when they do finally wrestle the top wrestlers in the area. When was the last time a Spencerport wrestler upset a top level wrestler. I can't think of any recently. They are a solid team and have some very good wrestlers, but the coaches protect them to much.

This might be the dumbest take I’ve ever seen. Spencerport was trying to win a dual. It’s called strategy.

ringworm2000
the kind one wrote:
ringworm2000 wrote:
Burkead145 wrote:
Is the hition coach that good or did spencerport over think the match? Does anyone know who won the flip? I’m still trying to understand the russo, lopresti bump. I thought it would be closer than that with a ranger win by 3. I’m glad the 182 match didn’t decide the match. Good luck to Section 5 in sending both hilton and spencerport as a wild card to the NYS duals

Spencerport always tries to avoid the tough match up for it's better wrestlers whenever possible. They never seek out top level competition. If they truly wanted to challenge their wrestlers why don't they go to Eastern States....they have protected LoPresti for three years. Makes no sense, just makes them struggle when they do finally wrestle the top wrestlers in the area. When was the last time a Spencerport wrestler upset a top level wrestler. I can't think of any recently. They are a solid team and have some very good wrestlers, but the coaches protect them to much.

This might be the dumbest take I’ve ever seen. Spencerport was trying to win a dual. It’s called strategy.

"Spencerport was trying to win a dual. It's called strategy" Well that strategy worked out well.......Now who has the dumbest take.....Spencerport has ducked the tough competition for years. The only chance they had to win this match is if there top guys knocked off Hilton's top guys. HS coaches need to stop overthinking everything and just wrestle their freaking lineup. Put the top against the top......or fail at Supers. Just watch what happens at Supers....only Wersinger will win it. Others have the ability but won't get it done because they were protected all year and when the tough matches happen they are not battle tested.

faceinthemat
That's an interesting take. I'm not sure Spencyville has ducked tough competition for years but the Teike-Barnabi tourn has definately gotten pretty watered down since I wrestled in the early 90's. That tourn was much tougher than counties or sectionals and hasn't been the same for a while, not sure why, not sure if it was Spency's conscious choice ? I do agree that Mason will be their only champ at supers, and that maybe overthinking the lineup vs Hilton backfired, but not enough to decide the match...Hilton is just a better team right now. There is a fine line between strategizing for a dual, and handicapping their wrestlers which would cost them in the tough matches at the end of the season. Not sure what I believe...but losing to Hilton must have lit a fire in that team based on the asskicking they just handed Brockport...geesh.

ringworm2000
faceinthemat wrote:
That's an interesting take. I'm not sure Spencyville has ducked tough competition for years but the Teike-Barnabi tourn has definately gotten pretty watered down since I wrestled in the early 90's. That tourn was much tougher than counties or sectionals and hasn't been the same for a while, not sure why, not sure if it was Spency's conscious choice ? I do agree that Mason will be their only champ at supers, and that maybe overthinking the lineup vs Hilton backfired, but not enough to decide the match...Hilton is just a better team right now. There is a fine line between strategizing for a dual, and handicapping their wrestlers which would cost them in the tough matches at the end of the season. Not sure what I believe...but losing to Hilton must have lit a fire in that team based on the asskicking they just handed Brockport...geesh.

I have to agree with a fire being lite...but they still had Lopresti take the easier match...should have had him against Davies. Maybe it was Bports choice I was not there. I will say I would have love to have been a fly in the practice room after the Hilton defeat. I am guessing it was not a very easy practice.

Smoothrider
tampacuse wrote:
There are 2 wildcards. Last year Hilton got 1 after the loss to Spencerport. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spencerport get 1 due to how high they are ranked in NYS, and there only loss came to the #1 ranked team in NYS

Ranking has nothing to do with who gets a wildcard. It all depends on returning State placers and returning supers placers.

Smoothrider
faceinthemat wrote:
Oldskool wrote:
ringworm2000 wrote:
Burkead145 wrote:

Eastern States isnt for everyone. Mason is probably the only one who should go.

right, and maybe Lopresti. But in regards to the Lopresti bump, does Lopresti even get a win against Burgos at 132???

From what I’ve seen out of Burgos this year I don’t think Lopresti comes close to beating him. Having a practice partner like Greg D everyday must help.

Oldskool
I see top 3 in state for Burgos thus year. Kid is tough.

Falcs96
It is odd that their top guys dont go to the Eastern States tournament.

I get the dual match-up thing, but I dont get that.

legattack
Spencerport is full of solid wrestlers but the only guy on their team that has a chance of making the second day is Wersinger

Oldskool
Exactly so why burn a tournament?

Falcs96
Why burn a tournament? So the top kids can be challenged, that's why! How many tournaments this year did Wersinger just zip through barely breaking a sweat? And for kids on the cusp of being wild card possibilities, the chance of earning points by upsetting a state placeholder is hard to find unless you're at the Eastern States tournament.

Wersinger could have won the Teike Bernabi tournament wearing high heels, and you're talking about burning tournaments?

Oldskool
The other kids.

Burkead145
Oldskool wrote:
Exactly so why burn a tournament?

He could have gone to eastern states with a coach. Many teams only sent their best and most of the time it was just one kid. Soencerport went to Lockport instead. Sanko had a great tournament. Took 3rd. Using that Mason would have been in the mix. If you don’t seek it, the competition will eat you up in the post season. But maybe spencerport is working on team titles. Maybe next year, hilton looks too good this year. We hopefully will see them both at sectionals and supers battling it out at 138.

Falcs96
S-Port has 3 or 4 kids who could have gone. Who cares if they didnt win it, or even get to day 2? Just being in an event with so much talent can drive a kid moving forward. I mean really, 99.9% of the kids arent going there because they think they have a shot at beating Greg D or Busiello or DePrez. That's not what it's about.

ringworm2000
Falcs96 wrote:
Why burn a tournament? So the top kids can be challenged, that's why! How many tournaments this year did Wersinger just zip through barely breaking a sweat? And for kids on the cusp of being wild card possibilities, the chance of earning points by upsetting a state placeholder is hard to find unless you're at the Eastern States tournament.

Wersinger could have won the Teike Bernabi tournament wearing high heels, and you're talking about burning tournaments?

Exactly the point I was trying to make originally.....who will be more prepared come Supers Wersinger or Sanko. I would have to go with Sanko. That does not mean I think he will win, but he will be more battle tested. Mason is really really good and he deserves the chance to test himself. The fist bumping Spencerport coaches just don't challenge their wrestlers, and whether it is at Supers or States it will cost one or more of their top wrestlers a match.
Page 4 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next