NYS Dual Tournament: Wrestlebacks View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
NYS Dual Tournament: Wrestlebacks

SectionSix2019
Shout out to Hilton for getting into the finals.

Also shoutout to Section 6 Squads for representing as well!

Now, I know wrestling is the only sport that has consolation brackets at sectional and state tournaments compared with any other sport. Example: hs football teams lose in the state semi finals they don’t play the other semi final loser.

However, in wrestling there is a certain pride in coming back after a loss. Why not wresteback for 3rd-6th at the NYS Dual Tournament? Or even to 8th?

This would definitely help with end of year rankings and also give teams more of a chance to wrestle someone from somewhere else in the state.

NW for example would’ve wrestled Fulton for 3rd/4th yesterday. So forth and so on.

BJB7
We asked the same question last year. As it would also keep more fans in the arena. They stated that they are only currently interested in wrestling for the State Champions.

Crossface212
SectionSix2019 wrote:
Shout out to Hilton for getting into the finals.

Also shoutout to Section 6 Squads for representing as well!

Now, I know wrestling is the only sport that has consolation brackets at sectional and state tournaments compared with any other sport. Example: hs football teams lose in the state semi finals they don’t play the other semi final loser.

However, in wrestling there is a certain pride in coming back after a loss. Why not wresteback for 3rd-6th at the NYS Dual Tournament? Or even to 8th?

This would definitely help with end of year rankings and also give teams more of a chance to wrestle someone from somewhere else in the state.

NW for example would’ve wrestled Fulton for 3rd/4th yesterday. So forth and so on.

Great point about the wrestlebacks. I agree that would be a great thing to add.

Falcs96
Well, I do know that they dont want it to be a 2 day event.
Maybe just have the semi-finals losing teams wrestle for 3rd, but that's about it. Beyond that, you're adding additional rounds and they're not going to do that. Nor are you gonna have a bunch of teams sitting around for hours on a Saturday waiting to wrestle a consolation match, when they could be hitting the road at a decent hour.

madmami
They could have wrestled for 3/4th at the same time as the finals. Who wants a empty arena.. i mean at least top 4 should be done, that can be done in a one day event.i think they need to pull their head out they you know what and get it together. Simply crazy to not have a 3/4th match

132nomore
While I agree Wrestling for 3/4 th would be a great addition
It is not done that way for any other State tournament
Lose in the semis and you are done

SectionSix2019
I agree. That was one of my first points. Wresting is one of the only sports that does this. However, it’s such a big part of the sport and nobody else has tournaments like wrestling does throughout the season.

The individual tournament in Albany wrestlesback to 6th. Again this is unique to our sport. With that being said, I think wrestling the team dual tournament back to 6th makes sense.

Not saying section 6 does a lot correctly but they wrestle teams back for 3rd/4th as wel.
Page 1 of 1