List: Greatest Section V Wrestlers-O.A.T (Sec.3 inspired) View previous topic | View next topic

Page 12 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
List: Greatest Section V Wrestlers-O.A.T (Sec.3 inspired)

LImarty
lol. Salamone should have been mentioned on page 1.

mbsuxx
brainiac wrote:
Rich Salamone !

Wow! Good call Brainiac!

Salamone was State Champ at 91 lbs in '76 ………...and was a team USA guy for most of the 80s at 105.5 ……….. he might have more international experience than any Section V wrestler.

Looks like Salamone has a popular video series on Jiu Jitsu and takedowns.

Also, Don St. James was 3rd, 2nd, 2nd at States in '76.'77, '78. ………...high school coaching legend in Georgia.

faceinthemat
mbsuxx wrote:
faceinthemat wrote:
taking the high road instead of going back n forth w the expert. So many guys could've been great, i believe coaching plays a major role and nobody got the most out of his wrestlers like Bill Jacutout. Mike Ferris also got maximum production out of his wrestlers in his all too brief coaching career. Maybe we should thread about the best coaches in NY history...Marty would have himself as #1, followed by Rob Koll....JK

Walt Tieke --- Spencerport
Don Quinn - East Rochester
Weldon Canough - Canandaigua
John Grillo - Holley

Eastridge was really good in the early 1970s - not sure who the coach was

I think Romeo has been a very good coach at Canandagua also, they always have tough kids.

faceinthemat
LImarty wrote:
faceinthemat,

When Yianni gets beat by Joey McKenna this year.......Joey McKenna who would never be considered the BEST from his Region in New Jersey.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO RECONSIDER YOUR....SUBJECTIVE LIST.

So, many very, very good wrestlers wrestled - in the Rochester area for decades. Your list is "weak" with knowledge and too contemporary to even take seriously.

You are universally known as a total clown Marty. Start watching your mouth or get repremanded directly. I also brang up Mckenna being a serious threat, he is the hottest wrestler along w Micic in NCAA. He has a shot to beat Yanni and it would be no shame if Yanni loses to Mckenna. I still think Yanni finds a way, i can't imagine how, but Yanni can.

faceinthemat
Marty,

drink bleach

faceinthemat
LImarty wrote:
faceinthemat,

When Yianni gets beat by Joey McKenna this year.......Joey McKenna who would never be considered the BEST from his Region in New Jersey.

So, many very, very good wrestlers wrestled - in the Rochester area for decades. Your list is "weak" with knowledge and too contemporary to even take seriously.

Of coarse my lists will be heavy on guys from my era or that i grew up watching...DUH. That's why I ask oilder fans to talk about other guys that I didn't have the pleasure of watching. Now shhhh...i think Koll is calling you for imperative advice.

faceinthemat
Smoothrider wrote:
LImarty wrote:
faceinthemat,

Marty again I’ll ask you. Name another wrestler with a better list of accomplishments then Yianni from section V. 2x Cadet world champ NCAA champ as a true freshmen. I’ll be waiting.

...CRICKETS

faceinthemat
swank wrote:
PSA: EVERYONE PLEASE STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS. I promise you won't change their sad, personal, ego-driven agendas and opinions.

Thanks for the names today, now we're getting somewhere!

Here's where we're at (i removed the numbers cause like i said, it wasn't an honest attempt to rank) but we're up to over 80 !

• Yianni D. (Hilton) - 4xer + NCAA True Freshman Champ + 2x FS-World Champ
• Gregor Gillespie (W.Schroeder)- - 2xer (3?) + NCAA Chamption + 4x NCAA All-American + Undefeated in MMA/UFC
• Frankie Gissendaner (Penfield)- 4xer + 5x place-winner… also never wrestled at “lightweight” which to me seperates him from the other 4xers
• Frank Deangelis (Spencerport) - The Bo Jackson of our Section. I've heard more urban legends about this guy being a complete and total badass from the elders to fully believe the hype. Wish I was around to witness.
• Don Carlo-Clauss (Greece Olympia)- 2xer and dominant in a tough era. Another one of the legends I grew up hearing about.
• Bobby Dierna (Wayne) - Slickest on his feet (IMO) and 2x? State Champ + 2x NCAA Div-3 Champion!
• Mike Nevinger (Letchworth)- One of the best on top we've ever seen... an incredible high-school resume and NCAA blood-rounder?
• Lou Deprez (Hilton) - "The Bully" - 3xer (+3rd Freshman year) and all his titles are in the upper weights.
• (Greg Diakomihalis-Hilton) though he's already compiled the resume to earn a spot on this list, I feel like he needs to graduate to make our “official list”. For now, just witness and appreciate.
• Alex Eckstrom (Pal-Mac) -4xer & beat the legendary Ian Paddock (also one of the GOATs) for an epic showdown for #4
• Ian Paddock (Warsaw)- undoubtedly one of the most dominant SecV wrestlers we’ve ever seen, beat Kyle Dake in state Finals + might ended up D1 A-A if he didn’t choose the same school as Logan Stieber+injury?
• Quinton Murphy (Holley)- 3xer? and dominant
• Trevor Chinn (Canandaigua)- One of the greatest Neutral wrestlers OAT.
• Bryan Bourne(Spencerport)- State Champ and 2x high school national champ. Claw ride and roll-back half were epic and he dominated the field.
• Josh Patterson (Wayne)- Probably the most underrated/mentioned on this list, NCAA All-American for Binghamton + 2x Junior College
• Kyle Borschoff (Pittsford)-NYSchamp + d1 NCAA All-American(AU) + current head coach @ Bing U + a great contributor to our sport
• Jason Debruin (Spencerport) - didn't give up a takedown while scoring over 200 during his senior year and then had a real solid career at Hofstra
• Don St. James (R-H) – National Wrestling Hall-of-Fame (Coach)
• Dwight Cartwright – 1972 NYS - MOW
• Robin Scott Parker (Cal-Mum) – 1976 NYS-MOW
• Sirrell Gissendaner (Spencerport) - MOW 1993
• Craig Scott (Pal-Mac)-
• Owen Scott (Pal-Mac)-
• Troy Forte (Pittsford)-
• Matt King (Canandaigua)
• Marty King (Canandaigua)
• Tony Cotroneo (Irondequoit)
• John Zito (E-R)
• Alex Croog (Brighton)
• Andy Antonucci (Hilton)
• Rick Sadwick (Hilton)
• Steve Taylor?
• Rick Suhr (Spencerport)
• John Suhr (Spencerport)
• Vincent Deprez (Hilton) - NYS Champ (3x finalist)
• Parker Kropman (Penfield) - Stuck in the same weight as the #1 guy on this list for most his career (Eastern State Champ)
• John Martin Cannon (Brockport)
• Christian Boley (Brockport)
• Brian Aparo (Victor)
• Casey Lamb (Victor)
• Roy Washington (Monroe)
• Butch Hibbard (Canandaigua)
• Burke Paddock (Warsaw)
• Paul Paddock (Warsaw)
• Alex Croog (Brighton)
• Roy Frey (E-R)
• Kyle Ingram (Canandaigua) –
• Kenny Porter (Alfred-Almond)
• Gary Borelli (S’port)
• Shawn Hibbs (s’port)
• Tim Page (Way-Co)
• John Gemmell (Hornell)
• Dane Heberlein (Alexander)
• Nate Schiedel (Cal-Mum)
• Desi Green (R-H)
• Dan Mandara (Canandaigua)
• Erik Schuth (Brockport)
• Dave Jeurgens (Hilton)
• Bryan Lantry (Wayne)
• Jason Bovenzi (Greece Athena)
• Kevin Bishop?
• Mike Lopresti (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Joe Lopresti (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Jon Welch (Canandaigua)-
• Tom Billone (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Ray Lechase (sport) – 3rd
• Dan Nier (Athena)
• Mark Voci (McQuaid)
• Mike Kohl (Fairport)
• Dave Dennie (Pal-Mac)
• Chris Van Gordon (Pal-Mac)
• Mike Pecorella (Arcadia)
• Walt Tieke (Spencerport)
• Don Quin (East Rochester)
• Weldon Canough (Canandaigua)
• John Grillo (Holley)
• Rick Terenzi (RH)
• Mike Chappelle (Can) – NYS Finalist

Kevin Bishop was another Athena wrestler. Well over 100 wins back when that was really tough to do, went to states a couple times when it was tough.

faceinthemat
firemenj wrote:
How about Ryan Lamagra (Wayne/Thomas) and Erik Schuth (Brockport)? Lamagra wrestles for Wayne and wins a state title at 189 in '06 as a junior. His senior year of '07 he transfers to Webster Thomas, where he is now the same weight as one Matthew Hodge (who could also be on this list), who he beat in the finals of Supers in '06. Lamagra bumps Hodge out of that spot of the lineup (no double entrants allowed yet). Thomas has a loaded lineup up top this year, as Hodge cant bump up to 215 because that years state runner up Robert Eskander is already there. So Hodge bumps all the way up to 275, drinking up all year, and manages to win a state title, even though he lost in the finals of sectionals to Kenny Woodward of Pittsford!

Enter Schuth, who took 3rd at 160 his junior year of '06, and ends up at 189 as a senior. Lamagra beats him at The Matt Marino, but then Schuth beats him at counties and supers, and Schuth then goes on to beat Lamagra, the defending champ, in the state finals. Those were some battles. Lamagra was so technical while Schuth would just try to beat the crap out of everyone. I'm pretty sure this was one of the first years of wildcards, and one of the first Section vs. Section finals at states, but I'd have to go look it up to confirm.

Quick note on that '07 Thomas team, they had the champ at 275, and runners up at 189 and 215, but also had there 171 pounder Alex Litto take 6th. Stacked up top.

Yea they were tough at the higher weights and Lamagra was a huge pickup coming from a tough Wayne team.

faceinthemat
faceinthemat wrote:
swank wrote:
PSA: EVERYONE PLEASE STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS. I promise you won't change their sad, personal, ego-driven agendas and opinions.

Thanks for the names today, now we're getting somewhere!

Here's where we're at (i removed the numbers cause like i said, it wasn't an honest attempt to rank) but we're up to over 80 !

• Yianni D. (Hilton) - 4xer + NCAA True Freshman Champ + 2x FS-World Champ
• Gregor Gillespie (W.Schroeder)- - 2xer (3?) + NCAA Chamption + 4x NCAA All-American + Undefeated in MMA/UFC
• Frankie Gissendaner (Penfield)- 4xer + 5x place-winner… also never wrestled at “lightweight” which to me seperates him from the other 4xers
• Frank Deangelis (Spencerport) - The Bo Jackson of our Section. I've heard more urban legends about this guy being a complete and total badass from the elders to fully believe the hype. Wish I was around to witness.
• Don Carlo-Clauss (Greece Olympia)- 2xer and dominant in a tough era. Another one of the legends I grew up hearing about.
• Bobby Dierna (Wayne) - Slickest on his feet (IMO) and 2x? State Champ + 2x NCAA Div-3 Champion!
• Mike Nevinger (Letchworth)- One of the best on top we've ever seen... an incredible high-school resume and NCAA blood-rounder?
• Lou Deprez (Hilton) - "The Bully" - 3xer (+3rd Freshman year) and all his titles are in the upper weights.
• (Greg Diakomihalis-Hilton) though he's already compiled the resume to earn a spot on this list, I feel like he needs to graduate to make our “official list”. For now, just witness and appreciate.
• Alex Eckstrom (Pal-Mac) -4xer & beat the legendary Ian Paddock (also one of the GOATs) for an epic showdown for #4
• Ian Paddock (Warsaw)- undoubtedly one of the most dominant SecV wrestlers we’ve ever seen, beat Kyle Dake in state Finals + might ended up D1 A-A if he didn’t choose the same school as Logan Stieber+injury?
• Quinton Murphy (Holley)- 3xer? and dominant
• Trevor Chinn (Canandaigua)- One of the greatest Neutral wrestlers OAT.
• Bryan Bourne(Spencerport)- State Champ and 2x high school national champ. Claw ride and roll-back half were epic and he dominated the field.
• Josh Patterson (Wayne)- Probably the most underrated/mentioned on this list, NCAA All-American for Binghamton + 2x Junior College
• Kyle Borschoff (Pittsford)-NYSchamp + d1 NCAA All-American(AU) + current head coach @ Bing U + a great contributor to our sport
• Jason Debruin (Spencerport) - didn't give up a takedown while scoring over 200 during his senior year and then had a real solid career at Hofstra
• Don St. James (R-H) – National Wrestling Hall-of-Fame (Coach)
• Dwight Cartwright – 1972 NYS - MOW
• Robin Scott Parker (Cal-Mum) – 1976 NYS-MOW
• Sirrell Gissendaner (Spencerport) - MOW 1993
• Craig Scott (Pal-Mac)-
• Owen Scott (Pal-Mac)-
• Troy Forte (Pittsford)-
• Matt King (Canandaigua)
• Marty King (Canandaigua)
• Tony Cotroneo (Irondequoit)
• John Zito (E-R)
• Alex Croog (Brighton)
• Andy Antonucci (Hilton)
• Rick Sadwick (Hilton)
• Steve Taylor?
• Rick Suhr (Spencerport)
• John Suhr (Spencerport)
• Vincent Deprez (Hilton) - NYS Champ (3x finalist)
• Parker Kropman (Penfield) - Stuck in the same weight as the #1 guy on this list for most his career (Eastern State Champ)
• John Martin Cannon (Brockport)
• Christian Boley (Brockport)
• Brian Aparo (Victor)
• Casey Lamb (Victor)
• Roy Washington (Monroe)
• Butch Hibbard (Canandaigua)
• Burke Paddock (Warsaw)
• Paul Paddock (Warsaw)
• Alex Croog (Brighton)
• Roy Frey (E-R)
• Kyle Ingram (Canandaigua) –
• Kenny Porter (Alfred-Almond)
• Gary Borelli (S’port)
• Shawn Hibbs (s’port)
• Tim Page (Way-Co)
• John Gemmell (Hornell)
• Dane Heberlein (Alexander)
• Nate Schiedel (Cal-Mum)
• Desi Green (R-H)
• Dan Mandara (Canandaigua)
• Erik Schuth (Brockport)
• Dave Jeurgens (Hilton)
• Bryan Lantry (Wayne)
• Jason Bovenzi (Greece Athena)
• Kevin Bishop?
• Mike Lopresti (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Joe Lopresti (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Jon Welch (Canandaigua)-
• Tom Billone (Spencerport)- NYS Champ
• Ray Lechase (sport) – 3rd
• Dan Nier (Athena)
• Mark Voci (McQuaid)
• Mike Kohl (Fairport)
• Dave Dennie (Pal-Mac)
• Chris Van Gordon (Pal-Mac)
• Mike Pecorella (Arcadia)
• Walt Tieke (Spencerport)
• Don Quin (East Rochester)
• Weldon Canough (Canandaigua)
• John Grillo (Holley)
• Rick Terenzi (RH)
• Mike Chappelle (Can) – NYS Finalist

Kevin Bishop was another Athena wrestler. Well over 100 wins back when that was really tough to do, went to states a couple times when it was tough.

Bishop wrestled in the early 80's

Oldskool
Very tough but did not go to states.

backsuplex
mbsuxx wrote:
faceinthemat wrote:
taking the high road instead of going back n forth w the expert. So many guys could've been great, i believe coaching plays a major role and nobody got the most out of his wrestlers like Bill Jacutout. Mike Ferris also got maximum production out of his wrestlers in his all too brief coaching career. Maybe we should thread about the best coaches in NY history...Marty would have himself as #1, followed by Rob Koll....JK

Walt Tieke --- Spencerport
Don Quinn - East Rochester
Weldon Canough - Canandaigua
John Grillo - Holley

Eastridge was really good in the early 1970s - not sure who the coach was

Bill Lawlor

faceinthemat
Oldskool wrote:
Very tough but did not go to states.

Thanks for your correction, just verified it.

LImarty
RICH ROMEO- Huntington HS. Lou Giani disciple.

Your list is a mess !!! Super Mortals vs Meer Mortals randomly selected.

Next time do it by weight ....and that gets you a good debate

mbsuxx
Marty King - Canandaigua ……….3rd, 4th, 1st, 1st at States in the 1980s ---- before D1/D2.

Should he be in the Top 10?

Yes on Romeo ……...good coach!
Page 12 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next