Frankie G leaves Rider View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Frankie G leaves Rider

mikef272002
If he struggled in High school how did he pass his NCAA eligibility? We all know if you want to wrestle D1 or D2 you need to pass the NCAA eligibility. This is why I believe community colleges are the best fit for some kids to propel them into the D1 or D2 colleges. Look at Keller and Page, both placed top 3 at community college and now Keller wrestles D1 and made the trip to NCAA championships this year. He still has a red shirt year and a year of eligibility left. Keller became a national champion at the JUCO level and set him self up for a good ride at UB. Page just finished 3rd at JUCO's and will get a good ride at the D1 or D2 level.

LImarty
mike.

"spot on"

IMO - MOST NYS wrestlers today- are not gonna be high DI caliber ready. Second tier DI schools - yes.. but, best not to choose incorrectly. JUCO , DIII seems to be more logical for most.

Looking at New Jersey wrestlers from the NCAAs and what's coming up from High School....is a different story. THEY are loaded !!!

faceinthemat
LImarty wrote:
face,

JMO- from many years of viewing and from my own experience. VERY, VERY, HARD ...to recapture past decisions. "LIFE" moves forward- never backwards.

Yea, you may be right with that

faceinthemat
Once in college, on a D1 scholarship, my sport became my job. It changed everything. I also went berserk with partying and girls with no parental rules to follow. A scholarship athlete at the D1 level is sort of a "bigshot" for lack of better terms, and girls start throwing themselves at you...it's real easy to sleep in after a long night (thus missing class)without a parent telling you to get your butt up and get your crap together. I do have faith that we haven't heard the last of Frankie G on the mat (fingers crossed).

madmami
faceinthemat wrote:
good post Madmani...I agree and I went through it personally as a D1 athlete who left home.

Thank you..!! Life and college is tough, support and trust in your coaching staff is most important, there needs to be a bond and plan agreed by both. Hope you found your own personal way and pushed through, its difficult speaking to folks on here who you dont know most real name, many know who i am, i dont hide behind a screen name.. wishing the best to you on your journey

madmami
mikef272002 wrote:
If he struggled in High school how did he pass his NCAA eligibility? We all know if you want to wrestle D1 or D2 you need to pass the NCAA eligibility. This is why I believe community colleges are the best fit for some kids to propel them into the D1 or D2 colleges. Look at Keller and Page, both placed top 3 at community college and now Keller wrestles D1 and made the trip to NCAA championships this year. He still has a red shirt year and a year of eligibility left. Keller became a national champion at the JUCO level and set him self up for a good ride at UB. Page just finished 3rd at JUCO's and will get a good ride at the D1 or D2 level.
there are ways depending on maybe he had a iep or passed his sat or act or received a a Academic pass some colleges give athletes.. trust there are ways around it, struggling can mean he still had a gpa but on the lower end and just made clearing house
Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2