Frankie G leaves Rider View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Frankie G leaves Rider

faceinthemat
I was puzzled by Frankie G's choice when he first announced Rider as his college destination. I figured he must have had a relationship with coaches there or something. I certainly thought he was too much of a Bluechip recruit to go to a team that isn't exactly a D1 powerhouse. Then I thought, maybe he wouldn't do the normal "redshirt" thing, and planned on making an immediate impact...but I was wrong about that also. I know Rider had solid D1 guys at 141 and 149 but I really thought Frankie could be an immediate impact and likely crack the top 20 rankings at either weight, especially 149 which seemed more appropriate with the muscle that he carries.

Now i see he has left Rider. Anybody have any information on where he may go next? I know he has a bunch of buddies on the Binghamton team, and has also been recruited n=by powerhouse teams like Ohio State. I would love to see him further his career at either of these schools and firmly believe he will be an All-American before his college career is done. (Please stay out of this thread Marty, we know you disagree just like when you said Yanni,David Taylor,etc wouldn't do much in college). IMO Frankie is a freakishly blessed athlete with his explosiveness and power, and has developed into a very smart and dominant wrestler.

Any thoughts on how far he can go or where he will do it? I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 20 of FLO NCAA rankings by the end of next year, similar to Vito's success at Cornell. I also think Cornell would get a huge boost to pick Frankie up if his academics are strong enough. Good luck Frankie!!! Embrace this new challenge in your wrestling career if you still have goals in the sport. All section V fans believe in you and are rooting for you.

Also any thoughts on guys like L Deprez, B Lantry, and Vito A achieving AA status this year? I personally think Lou Deprez and Vito A have great shots at reaching the podium...Lantry has done very well but has missed too much action and maybe not faced the toughest of competition to prepare him for the NCAA gauntlet. Piccincini will also AA. And can Parker Kropman qualify for the NCAA tournament this year?

Smoothrider
faceinthemat wrote:
I was puzzled by Frankie G's choice when he first announced Rider as his college destination. I figured he must have had a relationship with coaches there or something. I certainly thought he was too much of a Bluechip recruit to go to a team that isn't exactly a D1 powerhouse. Then I thought, maybe he wouldn't do the normal "redshirt" thing, and planned on making an immediate impact...but I was wrong about that also. I know Rider had solid D1 guys at 141 and 149 but I really thought Frankie could be an immediate impact and likely crack the top 20 rankings at either weight, especially 149 which seemed more appropriate with the muscle that he carries.

Now i see he has left Rider. Anybody have any information on where he may go next? I know he has a bunch of buddies on the Binghamton team, and has also been recruited n=by powerhouse teams like Ohio State. I would love to see him further his career at either of these schools and firmly believe he will be an All-American before his college career is done. (Please stay out of this thread Marty, we know you disagree just like when you said Yanni,David Taylor,etc wouldn't do much in college). IMO Frankie is a freakishly blessed athlete with his explosiveness and power, and has developed into a very smart and dominant wrestler.

Any thoughts on how far he can go or where he will do it? I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 20 of FLO NCAA rankings by the end of next year, similar to Vito's success at Cornell. I also think Cornell would get a huge boost to pick Frankie up if his academics are strong enough. Good luck Frankie!!! Embrace this new challenge in your wrestling career if you still have goals in the sport. All section V fans believe in you and are rooting for you.

Also any thoughts on guys like L Deprez, B Lantry, and Vito A achieving AA status this year? I personally think Lou Deprez and Vito A have great shots at reaching the podium...Lantry has done very well but has missed too much action and maybe not faced the toughest of competition to prepare him for the NCAA gauntlet. Piccincini will also AA. And can Parker Kropman qualify for the NCAA tournament this year?

I heard through the grapevine that Frainkie wasn’t doing very good on the academic side of things.. Also looked like he struggled at Scuffle going 0-2. There’s no shame in finding a good D3 school and being very successful at that level. I think Frankie would do very good at the d3 level D1 isn’t for everyone.

faceinthemat
I think he will be very good at the D1 level personally. I'm sure Marty loves your comment about D3 but I respectfully disagree. He is NCAA champ pedigree, so are many others...Rider obviously was a disaster from the start. That being said, if he ends up at a school like Ohio State or Cornell (if grades permit), and clicks with the right coach, sky is still the limit. He will have to stop regressing and start improving but I believe he can do it, he has the tools. So much is mental and he fell out of "mental practice" maybe??? He's not done, he is a stud, I wouldn't write him off.

faceinthemat
IMO, he needs to set his mind to prove that he is a real contender to AA and maybe be a NCAA champ someday. nHe will need to wrestle with a chip on his shoulder and be relentlessly aggressive...a la Alex Marinelli...what an animal he looks like these days! Anyone who is feeling Marinelli should watch him wrestle Gunther last week (Gunther transferred out of Iowa to Illinois and they had been practice partners at Iowa)...talk about "breaking an opponent" DEAR GOD!

Crossface212
faceinthemat wrote:

Lantry is in a deep weight class but I think he definitely has a shot to AA. He's definitely missed some time but dominated every match that he has wrestled in including against Perry from OD (returning AA) and Tristan Moran who has beaten a few highly ranked guys (McKee and Nick Lee) this year. In the remaining duals we could still potentially get to see him against Cam Kelly and Nick Lee before conferences and then against Eierman in the MACs. It would be be great to see UB get on the podium.

faceinthemat
Lantry must have continued to work very hard at Buffalo. He was very good in high school but in my eyes wasn't D1 material as he had plenty of competition in section V. But Wayne's coach always brought tough kids up, he must have busted his but at UB and assuming that's the case, no better reward than to acjheive the iconic D1 AA. Good luck Brian!

Heisenberg
Good thing Lantry didn’t ask Marty for advice!

LImarty
Another statistic....sad. Very hard to get back - hope he finds a way back to a DIII school. Kid has a lot of talent...yet, Ive always thought he would be a better Freestyle wrestler . I see Busciello falling into the same trap.

DI wrestling isnt for ALL wrestlers.

As far as Lantry goes. A very, very far outside shot at an AA. Tough kid in a very very deep weight class. He would have to upset a few.

shooterMcgavin
why would it be bad if frankie wrestled at a D2 or D3 college?. and yes i agree that he can be successful at a D1 program with the right help but going D2 or D3 does not make him a less of a wrestler.

Old School Ranger
I'm not sure why going to a Division II or III school is going to make him more-successful academically. Bad grades are something he would have to deal with at any Division. Depending on your field of study, your academic path could be more-rigorous than another. Education is usually considered "less-rigorous," while almost any engineering program would be considered "more-rigorous." What was his academic performance in high school? That's his business, and not ours. He may have chosen to study a more-demanding subject, but gotten behind, and gave-up, we don't know, and again it's his business, not ours.

Sometimes the best path is to attend a junior college, build your good study habits, have the success of an associate's degree, and transfer to an upper division school. Your better study habits and your base of knowledge in the general field you choose to study, from your AS/AA curriculum should help you to achieve academic success at the upper-division level.

He could wrestle at the junior college level, but if he's been struggling academically, he should spend his time on academics first. Build your competency academically before you try to be on a team. If he starts in the fall, he has close-to three months to demonstrate he's ready to do both academics and a sport, by the time the season begins. Depending on the school's academic calendar, he might begin in the summer, and have a whole semester to become academically-proficient. One drawback is that under a semester calendar, the summer is usually shorter in weeks, but classes are longer, because you have to cover the same hours in less-time.

If he was a weak student entering college, he needed to have been assigned tutors, and an academic oversight person to guide him to academic success. Some students are more-in-need than others. If his primary goal was to attend school to wrestle, well, he's starting down the wrong path right-there. Your goal entering college is to learn a chosen field so you can enter an entry-level job in your field of study, have success, and build on your success to do better over-time. Sometimes people find their initial choice of major or school isn't a good-one and need to choose another field of study, or a different school. I'm sure there are many members here who chose another academic path along the way to posting on-here.

LImarty
You are not hearing me............

A STAR athletic High School student sometimes can get pushed into a very competitive DI wrestling program- by those who mean well but, arent seeing the whole picture....some cant handle the load of practice, intense competition and going to class especially in another State away from family and local friends. Those who are not willing to stick it out in this environment - LEAVE.....never to return to college. Most -not all- rarely re enroll elsewhere.

When choosing a JUCO, DIII, program....not as intense...those who are there to wrestle usually stick it out...but, more importantly - they seem to do ok in the classroom as well.

Those who really do not care about grades....shouldnt be there anyway.

madmami
D1 college give plenty of help for athletes, mandatory study also offer counselors to help if needed. If grades was a issue its because effort wasnt put forth. I heard many reasons, also heard he struggled in high school in classroom as well but teachers helped push him through. Education should always be 1st priority, then the sport because if your grades are not good they can and will remove you from the team and any financial assistance or scholarship. First year of college is the hardest for many actually all kids playing sport or not time management is top issue for many, not asking for help, beinf away from your biggest support group and friends. Some just need to evaluate they goals and redirect and figure it out, i am sure frankie will attend some where, i doubt cornell or high tier college but possibly another d1 maybe closer to his home, thats my guess.. frankie is a great young man who may have just figured it wasnt the right fit for him at Ryder. I have faith he will find his way again to the mat, maybe being home and gaining suggestions from family and friends will help him... no one should bash him in no way where he goes from here. Other top nys wrestlers struggled in hs like Teemer and many others, sports came first and that is the problem from the start. I suggested to my own son maybe stay close to home for your first year and go from there. It his choice, he is aware of the time and challenges ahead but wont truly know til he is there, good thing he has us to help him since he is very quiet and hard for him to ask for help to people he dont know well yet, so either way he chooses to go weather in state or not, his support will be there atleast for the first year til he is settled in ,stats show many kids dont make it for the first year being away from family especially for holidays and general days alone.Its tougher for college kids then it was 10/15 years ago. Time's have changed .everything is more difficult in all areas of life, so support is definitely needed big time for the adjustment. I will say it again, Frankie i believe will find his best fit and will be more successful i believe . I believe what was told to me he struggled right from the start, nothing to be ashamed over, many many college kids do especially the first year. They still need guidance and help, cant just let them fend for themselves. Chance's are they wont be successful and will struggle in all areas... just my take and opinion from what I have been told

faceinthemat
good post Madmani...I agree and I went through it personally as a D1 athlete who left home.

faceinthemat
With what it takes to get the skill he has on the mat (will, hard work,perserverence), he has what it takes to be a champion in life. He probably just needs a little time, may be a couple months or a couple years, but he will figure it out.

LImarty
face,

JMO- from many years of viewing and from my own experience. VERY, VERY, HARD ...to recapture past decisions. "LIFE" moves forward- never backwards.
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next