99 pound class View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
99 pound class

faceinthemat
Big mistake for getting younger participants to stay in the sport. I was eating as much as I could to be as close to 91 lbs as a freshman.

Myboys
I would like to know who the NYS committee is and how much wrestling background they have. Is this committee coaches from around the state or are we depending on are section coordinators to supply these guys with the right information. That could be the problem right there.

132nomore
http://www.nysphsaa.org/About-NYSPHSAA/Committees/Sport-Committee#Wrestling

LImarty
quick, YES, many of NYSs best started at 96 lbs.....and they would have been the best at 106 lbs too. The weight class with certs does not represent "todays" High School format. BTW. it has something to do with losing wrestlers too....get a stud 90 lber- eliminates other kids with staying with the sport.

WHY /// is it so important to have "kids" wrestling Varsity matches as 7th and 8th graders ??? Sorry, should be elsewhere - not on a Varsity mat.

Myboys
Your right 7th and 8th graders shouldn’t be moved up to JV or Varsity. Just fix JR high wrestling. Need to come up with state weights have 13 weights that score how ever you want to do it. I would go 70 80 90 95 100 105 110 120 130 140 150 170 HWT. Make a schedule 12 matches have a certain number on tournaments that the school can compete in. I would let them have 4 tournaments 2 duals and 2 individual. Than your Jr high state qualifier Just 1 division top 3 go to jr high states. Not sure any of that is possible but man it would be fun.

quickpick
Absolutely correct Myboys. 7th and 8th graders cannot develop in our current system. If used properly, the APP is effective but wouldn’t be necessary if we had a Middle School system that worked. This is a short sighted plan if there isn’t a complete overhaul at the modified level.

mbsuxx
Burkead145 wrote:
I’m not in favor of the 99# weight class and it has nothing to do with the modified option for 7th and 8th graders.

By conforming to the standard it will do 3 things: A: get people talking seriously about the sport and B: standardize us with what other states are doing C: make the smaller athletes grow and get bigger/more competitive.

I’ve read the social media complaints ( “ This is BS, I’m holding my kid back then” or the parent who suck his kid down for the trophy just to come up short at high level tournament, my kid won’t be able to wrestle until 10th grade - love this comment kid should be a jockey then. Can’t fight genetics.

Eliminating the 99 pound class will make the smaller athletes grow and get bigger?

Small kids should become jockeys?

Two knucklehead comments in one post.

LImarty
sidenote- Do we really want 12 yr olds/ 13 yr olds sharing the bus, the locker room and socially with 17 and 18 olds ???? Think about it....

mbsuxx
LImarty wrote:
sidenote- Do we really want 12 yr olds/ 13 yr olds sharing the bus, the locker room and socially with 17 and 18 olds ???? Think about it....

Valid point, Marty.

ksl66
mbsuxx wrote:
LImarty wrote:

Valid point, Marty.

Oh yeah, that’s what I’m worried about 🙄

Sit outside your 12 or 13 year olds door and listen to the conversations while they’re playing fortnite, I guarantee you it’s wayyyyy worse than any bus or locker room!

bigkidsdad
It’s not just what they are saying, there is a lot more going on for a kid and each child is different. My youngest is a kid who needs recognition and some kids get it by doing things that aren’t age appropriate whether it be drugs, sex or otherwise. Don’t think because your kid knows some foul language that they are ready to be exposed to the negative peer pressure that being on a varsity team at an early age can bring. I agree with Marty and others not the best for the kids. Now that being said the middle school system is broken and there is no light at the end of the tunnel for a fix (for at least five to ten years out because the schools don’t consider it broken, and they are unlikely to make something that may get some parents mad like a system where their little boy isn’t told every day he is “God’s gift to the world”). Unfortunately with the cards being dealt the kids effected will have to go outside the school system for challenges, not good.

Raider92
I don't believe the older kids are bad influences on the right team. Both my boys wrestled in 7th grade and the older kids were the same kids they wrestled with when they were 5 in youth club. The older kids where like big brothers to them. It was a very positive experience for my sons. You need to look at your team and your coaches. I believe most Section V coaches make sure the older kids are good influences not bad. Maybe I naive, but it was a good experience that has allowed my boys to mature in a positive way and become young leaders.

LImarty
the NUMBERs ....it is all about NUMBERs

In many areas on Long Island -Middle School Teams have 40-60 kids yet, on the move up- the majority quit the sport and Varsity teams can not field a JV- "B" Team etc.

the 96lb/99lb weight class was once a viable step. IMO it isnt today. This Sport falls short for many reasons...and most problems are within the Building. Cutting costs- means transient Coaches. Here today gone tomorrow. Most do no live in the area where they are Coaching- Admins , tenure, budgets all have taken away from the sport. Contact sport in general are not favored, accepted the way they once were . Social disorders have rocked the world of High School sports- from just the general idea that "hard work pays off" to "discipline and obeying adults"

Just a simple fix to this thread. RULE#1- a) If, you arent a student in this building- you- can not be part of the Team in this building. b) If, you arent in 9th grade- age 14 or 15 you can not wrestle on a Varsity Team.

So, it starts in 9th grade- and- somewhere around 105 lbs.

btw. 12/13 yr olds should not be around 17/18 yr olds.....yes, camps- can be fun and there are more chaperones / clinicians...yet, I do not need the WRESTLING COACH to be responsible 24/7 and in reality it isnt fair to put this responsibility on him , either. Sorry, too many chances for things to get stupid- BIG DIFFERENCE between twirps and jerks.

Oldskool
LImarty wrote:

Thats why "their parents" get to make the decision. Im good with mine doing it.

LImarty
Oldskool.

REALLY !!?? Ok... interesting that those same Parents- will eat ur azz - if, their kid gets in trouble with that 18 yr old senior. Your Coaching/ Teaching days are over.

SENSIBILITY......better suggests to BUILD A MIDDLE SCHOOL PROGRAM and leave that "mighty mouse" alone. Let him grow physically, mentally...The need to WIN has always astounded me that it allows grown men to thump their chest - when a little kid wins a title at a weight that 99% of the Country- doesnt acknowledge.

The TIMEs have changed- it's time to selflessly forget the past results prior to weight certifications. Let High School/ Student-Athletes perform at that level. If, you dont have a kid at 105 lbs- then you and the gym teachers are not doing your job in the hallways

ONE mighty mouse- eliminates many prospective first time wrestlers. Take this to the bank !!! If, Im a ninth grader and I want to wrestle....I weight 100 lbs. I come to practice- I get beat up by some 7th grader- and- then I get beat up by some 10th/11th grader....WHY would I want to do this again ??? Fact is MANY, MANY GREAT wrestlers from the past didnt start wrestling till ninth grade and learned each year- as the went through puberty - By the time they were seniors they were rising , and rising again in College. PS. Ive seen hundreds of peewee superstars who never won Sectional titles- when they became juniors and seniors.

BUILD PROGRAMS-
Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next