New Weights and State Qualifying procedure View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
New Weights and State Qualifying procedure

Raider92
New weights for 2020-2021 13 weights instead of 15

102, 110, 118, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 172, 189, 215 + 285

This is pending---but NY Wrestling News says likely to pass.

21 D1 wrestlers qualify for states---top 2 sections earn 3 Qualifiers---Next 5 Sections earn 2 Qualifiers---everyone else 1 qualifier

22 D2 wrestlers qualify for state---

Thoughts????

legattack
I like it hopefully will cut down on forfeits

quickpick
I like them both. I don’t think that dropping the amount of weight classes will fix what’s wrong necessarily but it will certainly make things more competitive. The Qualifier format is great. It should be obvious who gets in and kids should know when they leave the tournament, not wait 4 days to find out.

matburn
Site Admin
FYI, this is a proposal and has yet to be voted on.

Raider92
According to the article in NY Wrestling News the weights have passed and will be used. The qualifying format is a pending proposal that is expected to pass when voted on.

quickpick
Raider92 wrote:
According to the article in NY Wrestling News the weights have passed and will be used. The qualifying format is a pending proposal that is expected to pass when voted on.

Can you post the article?

legattack
I saw on another site that they may change the section scoring at the state tournament so that only the champion of the supers would count for sectional scoring

matburn
Site Admin
http://www.nysphsaa.org/Portals/0/PDF/Sports/Wrestling/2019-20/Minutes-Wrestling-2020-May%204-Spring%20Mtg.pdf

quickpick
legattack wrote:
I saw on another site that they may change the section scoring at the state tournament so that only the champion of the supers would count for sectional scoring

That’s what is listed on the minutes to be forwarded to the executive committee. This is not the way to do it IMO. If they want to even out the points, they should make it the highest place finisher is the only point scorer. What is the point in sending multiple representatives if we only count the champion? There have been several instances where the runner-up places higher than the champ. This would still only count one wrestler/section but allow the tournament to play itself out. Not saying this would happen but a Section would have incentive to throw a match in order to advance the point scorer and secure more wildcards for the next year.

legattack
I like the idea in general because some of the sections getting only one qualifier have only that guy to score points where if another section with multiple qualifiers has there number one guy get upset they would basically just have a chance for their second or even third place guys score points. I like evening the odds
Page 1 of 1