Genesee Valley... weak? View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Genesee Valley... weak?

agey55
I don't know what's happened to this tournament over the past few years but it is increasingly becoming weaker and smaller. This tournament used to house 43 teams a few years ago and now it's down to 27 teams, 6 or so of which have under 4 wrestlers.

So I was just wondering why it's decreasing in size and competition. Is it because of popularity reasons or maybe because of the coming of several different tournaments at this time? I just want to hear what other people think and don't think that I'm trying to take anything away from it. I still think it's a fairly hard tournament.

wrestler171
Still strong tournament, couple things going on. When 35-40 teams came this tourny was a fiasco in that tiny building, still not run too well, the announcer makes for a VERY LONG 2 days. Some teams that use to come were at no tournaments yesterday. Highschool sports participation is down 15% Nationally and 22% in NY. Wrestling numbers are down 12% nationally and 30% in NY. The sport is experiencing a major assult by kids with jobs, kids with cars to pay for, kids with girlfriends, and a general lack of kids with the desire to compete in such a grinding sport. Genesee Valley is a victim of, way too many teams crowding into that facility, loss of kids in the sport, fewer teams travelling very far for tournaments, staying close to their districts to save travel money especially bus driver bus expenses. Still some very tough kids. The other disturbing thing happening is the elimination of honoring kids with introductions beyong 1st-2nd. The kids that wrestle 5-6 matches to compete for 3rd-4th are being shortchanged. Obviously the same 3-4 kids compete for the top spots, so the balance of the kids begin to feel they can't compete and don't get recognition for 3rd, 4th, 5th etc.Attica did it this year and that's a shame. The Valley eliminated the introduction parade and introductions and that really takes the little prestige away that many kids need to keep them going. If anything, in this tough time for wrestling we need more kids recognized for their efforts, especially the wrestleback kids. The top 2 will always get theirs, but we need to fill rosters and brackets.

JMO

agey55
that was kind of ridiculous how they didn't even do the intros for the placers... they should at least do that considering the tourny was already overwith by 7pm... and the first day it was done by 4:45pm... and they only used 4 mats the second day.