Second Day Weigh-Ins View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Second Day Weigh-Ins

fcarry
A few years ago, NYS instituted mandatory bodyfat analysis, in order to try and prevent excessive weight loss. This of course is good. However, they still encourage rapid dehydration and rehydration by not having second-day weigh-ins at tournaments. If someone (and many still do) can cut 5 to 10 pounds in one or two days, then rehydrate over a period of sometimes more than 24 hours, they can easily be much heavier and stronger than their opponent, who may not have sucked quickly, even if they have similar bodyfat percentage. Some can tolerate that kind of yo-yo stuff and others make themselves sick. Do any tournaments have 2nd day weigh-ins anymore? Even a couple pounds would seem fair to me. The current system seems to favor dehydration-rehydaration, especially for 2 day tournaments.

novice182000
I don't know of any two day tournaments that require second day weigh-ins. I believe there should be. It would definitely address the sucking issue. Kids that get to a comfortable weight without dehydrating themselves or starving end up at a disadvantage at these tournaments. The second day they end up wrestling kids that weigh a considerable amount more because they regained weight through the hydration process. It is not unheard of for these kids to regain any where from 5-10 pounds over night. The certification process was suppose to address some of this dropping 1-3 weight classes but it really hasn't. Somehow, kids get certified for weights much lower than they should. Adopting the 50% rule along with second day weigh-ins would go a long way to addressing the problem. If the powers that be were really interested in correcting the weight issue, they would give this serious consideration. Just my opinion.

doug
What is the reason for not having 2nd day weigh -ins? Question Question NY should have 2nd day weigh-ins for this years sectionals and state tournament....it's not too late to require it. They should also allow the STATE CHAMPS FROM LARGE AND SMALL TO WRESTLE. Next year they should adopt Romeo's proposal and get the all the best kids to States.

fcarry
All coaches, parents and athetes with their heads screwed on correctly should write to the NYSPHSAA, which governs all sports in NYS, including the bodyfat issue in wrestlers. Demand that they strongly consider re-instituting the second day weigh-in, with a 2lb allowance, along with the rule requiring at least 50% of your weigh-ins be at the weight you are competing at in sectionals. If wrestlers and coaches really want to compete based on skill and athletic fitness, they would not oppose either one of these rules. The only people who benefit from the current lack of these rules are those who want to beat their opponents by rapid dehydration, followed by rapid re-hydration in order to try and get a weight advantage on their most competitive opponents. That is not to mention the frequent illness and sometimes career-ending situations that occur when the plan to dehydrate fails! There are at least three top Section 5 athletes who ended their seasons at sectionals last year because they didn't control their weights properly during the season, then fell apart during the last dehydration effort. I will try to get the address for NYSPHSAA, so that people will have no excuse not to write. Lets face it, people who support dehydration aren't going to write, are they?

matguy2004
I completely agree. I think that it's the coaches that keep the "lose weight "mentality going.

I was at supers a few years back where a sectional champ had to lose 11 lbs that day to compete. How far is that to the competitor who actually weighs that weight come the second day.

Sure a good wrestler will survive the first day of a tournament...a high seed wrestling a much lower seeded kid(s), and winning isn't so difficult. After regaining 10-15lbs for the 2nd day...of course they will have a better chance of winning. Consider lightweight wrestlers. a good opponent who ways 10 lbs more would mean the "right weight wrestler" has to compensate for someone weighing at least 10% more of their body weight...

theWrestler
This is an excellent discussion. I think the weight loss issue has given wrestling a black eye for a long time. It can't be healthy for these young maturing teenagers to be cutting so much weight so quickly. You have kids that may naturally be 120 pounds trying to wrestle at 96, just to give themselves an advantage. How does this stunt both their physical as well as mental growth. It can't be good. How did they certify in the first place? I have heard of a lot of dubious practices around certifications. But that is another topic. It is so strange when you see some of these kids at summer wrestling, weighing up to 25% more in weight. Something should be done. And the sooner the better.

IMTHECOACH
2nd day weigh-ins will never happen in NY unless Coaches press this issue with NYSPHSAA. Coaches have to fix this with AD's support . The certification process is a sham and not protecting kids because there is no over-sight and enforcement. If we can't assure simple duel meet Honor Weigh-ins, how are we going to oversee/enforce certification. Pennsylvania has 2nd day weigh-in because they are serious about safety and fairness. The kids that are 15-20 lb. heavier the 2nd day are rampant in Sec. V and NY. The coaches gotta fix this before we lose a kid.

doug
If every tournament had 2nd day weigh-ins the advantage gained by putting weight back on would be taken away......certifications wouldn't be necessary.

fcarry
We need second day weigh-ins AND certification, since certification is meant only to document(approximately), initial body fat, thus indication how low the athlete may be allowed to go. Unfortunately, many athletes are not losing the fat, they are simpy dehydrating and rehydrating over and over again. Not all coaches will support this, because they don't know how to correctly train or discipline their athletes, although they do know how to "get some weight off this kid quickly".
If you want changes, write to: Wrestling Weight Certification
NYSPHSAA
88 Delaware Avenue
Delmar, NY 12054
Give them as much info as you can, stressing the safety issue, as well as any personal experience you have, even if you want to leave out the names.

wrestledad04
I agree totally...because I've witnessed it first hand

LCAAChamp03
Parents gotta step up and re-take control of their kids HEALTH. This is a REAL problem in Sec. V and gettin bigger. Everyone who is honest about this knows this is a serious problem. Certification is a joke and a real travesty. Reality is, it is some coaches that are letting this happen. I almost killed myself with dehydration and know several others that came close. PARENTS write here:
Wrestling Weight Certification
NYSPHSAA
88 Delaware Avenue
Delmar, NY 12054
Give them as much info as you can, stressing the safety issue, as well as any personal experience you have, even if
you want to leave out the names.

novice182000
I agree. The wrestlers involved are minors. Therefore, parents are still the ones in control of their child. They make the decisions not the kids. They should be sitting down with their coaches to discuss & determine what a safe weight would be for their kid. They, as well as the coaches, should be more concerned about health issues not win loss columns. Certification is a joke because of the constant abuses of it. We all see kids who have been certified for weights far below what they should be wrestling. I will be writing & urging the NYSPHSAA to enforce the 2nd day weigh-ins, adopt the 50% rule, and to set-up section wide certification. I hope others will too!

fcarry
what is section-wide certification, and how does it differ from how it is being done now?

theWrestler
I agree strongly with anything that keeps these kids from cutting weight. My son wrestles and I won't let him drop anymore than 3 - 5 pounds. Which puts him at a distinct disadvantage. During the offseason wrestling, most if not all his scholastic opponents are wrestling up to 3 weight classes higher. The athletic directors, coaches and parents need to do something now. Wrestling is losing many kids because they and their parents don't want them to lose weight.

novice182000
Section wide would be where all the schools in the section are certified the same day instead of some schools one weekend and other schools two weeks later, which happens every year. There could be three different areas, one in Monroe County, one down in the Southern Tier like in Campbell-Savona and one in mid-Southern Tier like Geneseo. All the schools would be assigned to one of those places. They all report & are certified by trained NYSPHSAA offiicials bypassing each school's nurse, AD, & coaches. This way, all the wrestlers would be on the same starting page and there could be no discussions between certain people about what weight would be best for their wrestlers. We all know that the way certification is done now leaves the door wide open for cheating. Unfortunately, not everyone is honest and not everyone puts the wrestler's health first. Just mu opinion.
Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next