Simple coaching tip View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Simple coaching tip

WrestlerofthePast
I've been watching wrestling of all levels from Modified to Collegiate wrestling, and I notice very few wrestlers at the high school level are warmed up properly before a match.

One of the greatest coaches in Section V, gave me a simple tip that works.

Be dripping in sweat before your match begins. That simple.

Many wrestlers just do this little pace back and forth, or the little jog in place, or light drilling for like 10 seconds. Too many wrestlers take the first 30 seconds to warm up during a match. I do not understand.

If you go in sweating, properly warmed up, you have an edge over your opponent. From personal experience, I was able to attain the first takedown in the majority of my matches at the high school level.

I know many wrestlers are antsy, trying to mentally get prepared, or think he/she will be exhausted if they drilled hard, but you're wrong. Trust me. You will be amazed if you run into that center circle dripping in sweat before the match even begins.

Just advice from a wrestler of the past. Good luck to all!

wc58
I agree, most of the hard wrestling(live) does not occur until the second hour of a training session. If wrestlers train this way they should perform a modified ritual of the practice session before each match. This will get you ready mentally as well as physically, for when the whistle blows.

teamten
wrester of the past, thanks for your input. i agree completly.

DisneyWrestler
i agree with that too. I am in college now and i always warm up befor. In high school i dident and i am winning more now.