Legas at the countys View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Legas at the countys

sportwrstle5091
I want to know what you guys think about Matt Legas's match at the finals of the monroe countys. Do you think he shouldve been called for stalling and do you think his opponent shouldve been called for stalling in overtime and double overtime. I just want to see what other people think about this suprising outcome.

agr585
You can never count on getting a stalling call in overtime. Have you ever seen somebody get hit with stalling in overtime or double overtime. The answer to that is 99% of the time you will never see a stalling call in OT or DOT. So basically you have to know when you can and can't stall.

crawfordn
You will never see a stalling call in double overtime. A prime example was at states last year for the finals with Krieger(Webster-Schroeder)...that was a match that you probably should have seen a stalling in double ot. .one man is just working to keep control, while the other is trying to escape, and with only 30 seconds....its rare that you will get a stalling call. Unfortunate sometimes, but I didnt see the Legas Match....so I dont know about that.

WrestlerofthePast
Legas had no shot in Double OT. Ram is a stronger kid. If Legas would of chose top, Ram would of gotten out. Legas best shot was bottom. And there is no way a ref is going to call stalling in Double OT. It is very unheard of. My hat is off to Aneal Ram for an excellent showing at Counties. Legas will get his rematch come Sectionals, and we will see what happens then.

I did not appreciate the sportsmanship Legas exuded after the victory. His demeanor towards the ref after the match was uncalled for. He was complaining about not getting a stall call. Slapped the Brighton coach's hand and then stormed out of the gymnasium. He also refused to shake Aneal's hand on the podium stand.

It is completely okay to be upset after a match. I have no qualms about that, but what he did was uncalled for.

Excellent tournament !

Congratulations to the Athena kids as well. I thought both of them wrestled excellent in the finals

hulk6664
WrestlerofthePast,

The Legas, Ram match was a great match between two great wrestlers! I was at the match and both wrestlers were active throughout. The part that people are forgetting, and is on film, is that Legas shot for 51 seconds straight in overtime. No excuses 2 great wrestlers. The only other thing that I would like to point out is that Legas knows that his actions were not the best, and I wish people would tell how Legas went up to the ref after he calmed down and apoligized for his actions and shook the refs hand. They are both great men and I look forward to their rematch in Supers, if they are both lucky enough to get there, Good Luck to all!!

Yoguard
It was a great match and the best wrestler that day won. I have met Matt Legas at numerous camps and he has always been a great kid. My son has worked out w/him at camps and has a lot of respect for him. We were disappointed with the results and hopefully we'll see a rematch at sectionals. Congratulations to Aneal on a great win.

WrestlerofthePast
No ref is going to call stalling in OT or double OT for that matter. Just think about even, Would you want to be crowned Monroe County Champ by winning on a stalling call in OT?? That would not sit well with me. I definitely would not want to win like that. I would not want to win it on a locked hands call in OT either. That does happen, but that still would not sit well with me.

I would want to earn it on my own merit, not because of a ref's interpretation. Aneal was not stalling during OT, I do not recall him backing away at all. Did he shoot as often as Legas, I do not think so. Was Legas more on the attack? Probably.

I have been in Aneal's situation before, and I have done the same thing many times, kid stands up, drop to a leg and hold on for dear life. It was a great match nonetheless. I thought the officiating was excellent. The refs let the wrestlers decid there own fate, that simple.

Hats off to Legas for apologizing to the ref afterwards. There is no excuse to not shaking Aneal's hand though. That's unsportsmanlike.

If one of my wrestlers ever did that, I would sit him/her one match. That is how much sportsmanship means to my team and I. Perfectly okay to be upset and disappointed, but if you can win with class, then you can lose with class.

I do not know Legas personally, but I bet he is an excellent kid. I hate the "Actions" not the person. We all make mistakes, and a wise person once said,

"Failure is success as long as you learn from it!"

And I hope Legas did and I look forward to seeing some outstand wrestling during sectionals.

bakrongal204
Actually, this reminds me of a match with Adam Kennel. It was i the summer of my tenth grade year as well as Kennels. Coach Allen took Gianforti, Kennel, Doug Curran(if you remember him), and a few others to the Campbell Savonia qualifier tourny. Kennel was wrestling someone from Fairport I think, and it went into overtime. With no takedown in first ot, they went into double ot with Kennel on top. When the whistle blew, Kennel dropped to the ankle and just laid on the mat. After about 8 seconds he got his first stall warning. Sure enough, he did it again and was called for stalling a second time and lost the match. So, to say refs dont call stalling in ot, I dont believe that. I think refs watch more closely for stalling in overtime. They do not call as much because both men are usually working really hard, even if they dont seem to be.

hitman6six6
i just wanna bring up the bport/spencerport duel when legas lost for the 1st time. he displayed similar action to those at counties with throwing a little fit and storming around the mat. legas needs to grow up and learn how to take a loss, apologizing to the ref was a good start, but i think not shaking hands with aneal on the podium (after aneal shook hands with all the other 60 lbers) proved him to be a sore loser

the kind one
you guys are makinga big issue out of nothing

bakrongal204
Well, it is not a big deal at all, that is true. Wrestling will go on regardless, however, this is a discussion board and we are discussing the 160lbs finals match. Simply put, Legas flipped out after his match. Appologizing was a good move, but I am honestly suprised he didnt get hit with an unsportsmenship call. I dont know if they even do that at tournements, but I would assume they do.

wrestler171
Big matches tend to bring big reactions win or lose. Runnin outa the gym and then refusing to shake hands, I mean clearly clasping his hands together, just as Aneal approached him, well that was a bit much. Aneal wrestled hard and won, not a reason to insult him with the handshake refusal. Spencerport is better than that and Matt needs to represent the team and the program first.

jcwas
They'll call you for unsportsman like conduct at the Elmira tournament for doing basically nothing.

bakrongal204
Yea, spencerport is strait up. the majority of them are good guys, it is a choice few that have that attitude that we all classify spencerport under. I will say that their fans are crazy loud. I think they were more funny than annoying. They would yell out stupid things like, "TAKEDOWN!" or "STALLING!" when there was no way either was present. All in all, I wish I had such devoted fans when I was wrestling.

jcwas
A few people can make a whole group look bad.