Troy Nickerson View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Troy Nickerson

Granby1946
According to a news article on InterMat, Nickerson's banged up and his coach isn't sure when he will be ready to wrestle again.

Heartattackkid
Nickerson out at All-Star Classic

DATE: 11/15/2006 2:52:00 PM
By Jason Bryant
jbryant@intermatwrestle.com

Updated 3:35 p.m. Eastern

With less than a week remaining before the festivities in Dallas get underway for the 41st NWCA All-Star Classic presented by the United States Marine Corps, tournament organizers have been hit with some rough news.

Returning NCAA runner-up Troy Nickerson of Cornell has withdrawn from the event at 125 pounds. Nickerson, a sophomore, was set to wrestle top-ranked Sam Hazewinkel of Oklahoma in one of the event’s preimier bouts.

“He’s really really banged up right now,” said Cornell head coach Rob Koll. “He’s not going to be at the Body Bar, he’s not been practicing for a couple of days. He just needs to take some time off and get healthy.”

Koll is unsure about when Nickerson will return to the lineup. “He’s out until, well, we’re not sure when he’ll be back in the lineup.”

“He’s very disappointed he’s not able to wrestle in the Body Bar or the All-Star,” said Koll. “I’d like to get him for Ohio State, and he’s doubtful for that as well. But time will tell, we don’t know how quickly he’s going to recover.”

Nickerson had a full summer of wrestling after his true freshman year.

“He hasn’t had a lot of breaks,” said Koll.

With Cornell hoping to challenge for an NCAA championship, the injury bug hasn’t hit Koll well, but at least it’s early.

“We’re hoping (Nickerson) heals up quickly, we need him,” said Koll. “(Adam) Frey’s out of the lineup also. He’ll be back in Las Vegas and (Josh) Arnone is sick.”

“That’s three really good kids out of the lineup for us to be knocking on the door with big boys. We need everyone.”

UPDATE: The NWCA announced Stanford's Tanner Gardner has accepted the invitation to replace Nickerson at 125 pounds. Gardner was an All-American last season, finishing 8th at 125 pounds. He's currently ranked #5 in the nation.

Current All-Star Line-Up
125: #1 Sam Hazewinkel (Oklahoma) vs #5 Tanner Gardner (Stanford)
133: #1 Matt Valenti (Penn) vs. #5 Coleman Scott (Oklahoma State)
141: #1 Ryan Lang (Northwestern) vs. #2 Andy Simmons (Michigan State)
149: #1 Dustin Schlatter (Minnesota) vs. #2 Matt Storniolo (Oklahoma)
157: #1 Brian Stith (Arizona State) vs. #2 Trent Paulson (Iowa State)
165: #1 Johny Hendricks (Oklahoma State) vs. #2 Mark Perry (Iowa)
174: #2 Matt Herrington (Penn) vs. #3 James Yonushonis (Penn State)
184: #1 Jake Herbert (Northwestern) vs. #2 Roger Kish (Minnesota)
197: #1 Phil Davis (Penn State) vs. #2 Jerry Rinaldi (Cornell)
285: #2 Bode Ogunwole (Harvard) vs. #4 Spencer Nadolsky (North Carolina)

Exhibitions
133: Clay Silver (Texas-Arlington) vs. Clay Madden (Kansas State)
157: Billy Johnson (Grand Valley State) vs. Jason Leavitt (Central Oklahoma)
157: Will Rowe (Oklahoma) vs. Travis Piccard (The Citadel)
165: Brian Kinsella (Texas-Arlington) vs. Jimmy Matlock (Bacone College)
285: #1 D-3 Blake Gillis (Wartburg) vs. #1 D-2 Tervel Dlagnev (Nebraska-Kearney)
Women: Stefanie Howorun (McMaster University) vs. Randi Miller (Olympic Training Center)

boatracers
Nickerson would have been a good match. It's important for him to rest his body now when it doesn't really matter so much. His replacement, Tanner Gardner, is a very intense competitor who I saw wrestle against Illinois.

chickenwing
That stinks. I was looking forward to watching him on CSTV. He's awesome to watch.

matburn
Site Admin
Back injury slows Nickerson
Cornell wrestler won't rush return

By Brian Moritz
Press & Sun-Bulletin
Monday November 27, 2006

Troy Nickerson's goals haven't changed.

Even though the Chenango Forks graduate hasn't wrestled this season due to a back injury, he's still eyeing a national championship at 125 pounds.

That goal, in fact, is why the Cornell University sophomore is being patient with his recovery.

"It's a little frustrating not being out there, but the ultimate goal is to be ready for the national championships," Nickerson said by phone Sunday evening. "Me and my coaches want to do everything we can do to prepare for that and overcome any obstacles."

Nickerson, a five-time New York state high school champion and three-time Press & Sun-Bulletin Athlete of the Year, was the national runner-up last season at 125 pounds as a freshman. But he has yet to wrestle this season after injuring his back in practice last month.

"I'm just dinged up a little bit, nothing too serious," Nickerson said. "Coach (Rob Koll) told me to take some time while we've got it to get ready to get back to nationals."

Nickerson said he plans to be back for the Southern Scuffle in Greensboro, N.C., on Dec. 29-30. But the injury forced Nickerson to miss two high-profile matches.

Last week, Nickerson was scheduled to take on Oklahoma's Sam Hazewinkle at the NWCA All-Star Classic in Dallas. Hazewinkle was one of two wrestlers to beat Nickerson last season, winning a regular-season bout. But Nickerson had to pull out of the rematch about a week before.

"I was really looking forward to getting that match," Nickerson said. "It was kind of a revenge match."

On Sunday, Nickerson was one of four Cornell starters to sit out a home dual meet against Ohio State in a match-up of two nationally ranked teams. Ohio State, ranked 15th in the USA Today/InterMat/NWCA preseason coaches poll, beat ninth-ranked Cornell, 18-17, in front of a crowd of about 3,000 people at Newman Arena.

"It was tough to sit back and watch and not be out there," Nickerson said.
Page 1 of 1