Nickerson loses to McKnight View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Nickerson loses to McKnight

matburn
Site Admin
The Ithaca Journal wrote:

ITHACA — Mark McKnight's stunning upset in the opening match served as an ominous sign — there would be better days for the Cornell wrestling team.

McKnight, Penn State's 125-pounder with a No. 4 national ranking, earned a surprisingly easy 5-2 decision over the Big Red's top-ranked Troy Nickerson, setting the tone for the Nittany Lions' 18-12 dual-meet victory Sunday afternoon in front of a Newman Arena crowd of 2,811.

I wonder if Nickerson's back is still bothering him? I see he took an injury timeout.

No. 1 Troy Nickerson (Cornell) vs. No. 4 Mark McKnight (Penn State)

1st Period
0:55 McKnight takedown (0-2)
0:35 Nickerson escape (1-2)

2nd Period
Nickerson defers, McKnight chooses down
Caution McKnight
1:10 McKnight escape (1-3)
1:10 Nickerson injury timeout
0:37 Stalemate
0:15 Stalemate

3rd Period
Nickerson chooses down
1:56 Nickerson escape (2-3)
0:26 McKnight takedown (2-5)
No riding time
Final: 5-2 McKnight

qpinkhat2690
his back is prolly still hurting if he loses to a kid that he normaly wood beat and espaecially if he took injury time

boatracers
Mcnight is no slouch......I wouldn't credit everything to just the injury. From what it sounds like, he just simply was beat.

LQQKICU
qpinkhat2690 wrote:
his back is prolly still hurting if he loses to a kid that he normaly wood beat and espaecially if he took injury time

Please lets not start having excuses as to why he lost. Maybe he just cannot beat that guy anymore, maybe that guy has gotten better, maybe Knight stayed at a Holiday INN the night before. His back seemed alright the tournament that he won a couple of weeks ago. But now when he looses its because of his injury. Trust me he will win many more times during his career and win at least two NCAA Championships, but when he looses lets not make excuses, because there are none he just lost.

squeekyteeth
mcknight is a very good wrestler; as a true freshman and sophomore he lost in the all-american round, going 3-1 with simmons and 6-4 with joey dubuque. he also took gold at some international tourney in venezuela. he sat out a year b/c he transferred schools, and he's been wrestling real tough. not to say nickerson isn't an amazing wrestler - the best to come from ny - but mcknight is very good. nickerson has to be rusty from sitting out the beginning of the year. my money is on nickerson next time.

tanmanchew12
well Troy will bounce back it's not like he is going to harp on it and besides his back prolly was hurtin and let's remeber that this is a kid that took second at at the NCAA tournament im sure he will bounce back

matburn
Site Admin
As expected, Nickerson is dropping in the rankings.

Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin wrote:
Nickerson falls to No. 3

Chenango Forks graduate and current 125-pound Cornell University wrestling standout Troy Nickerson fell to No. 3 in Wrestling International Newsmakers NCAA Division I rankings after losing on Sunday.

Nickerson, a sophomore who had been ranked No. 1, suffered a 5-2 setback to Penn State's Mark McKnight. Penn State won Sunday's dual in Newman Arena in Ithaca, 18-12.

After a first-minute takedown, McKnight scored his second and deciding takedown in the final 30 seconds.

The loss was Nickerson's first at home in his college career and only his third overall.

McKnight jumped from fourth to second in the rankings. He trails only University of Oklahoma's Sam Hazewinkel, who dealt Nickerson his first collegiate defeat in last January's National Duals at Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

jukeboxhero
Nickerson is one of those guys who only loses to a wrestler once. If he sees McKnight again, expect to see a victory for Nickerson.
Page 1 of 1